Wednesday, August 17, 2022

It's MAGIC KINGDOM Time!

 I sat on the patio with my coffee for far too long contemplating the grass.  That's what happens when you know it's time for the Magic Kingdom of flame throwing peasants.  Suddenly it dawned on me ... my grass is almost green in the back where it gets little water.  

It's amazing how changing out the water schedule and cutting back four hours of watering a week, can result in the lawn getting green again.  The front lawn looks even better.  It's not due to the new gardeners, that's for sure, although they (like all of them) do a fairly good job of pruning everything.  They are also really good at pruning my electrical wires for the landscape lighting.  I'm shaking my head.  There is no such thing as good workmanship in the gardening world.



Suddenly a tiny creature caught my eye.  I have a few lizards around here, but I rarely see them.  Most likely because there are so many kitties.  This tiny guy is under three inches, the smallest I've ever seen.  Not wanting Cooper to get a taste, I tried to move him into the grass.  He wasn't going for it until I actually touched his side.  Cute little guy ... and he eats ants!!


Sorry for the distraction .... anything to keep from thinking about BINGO!!!  Soon enough I was off to the Magic Kingdom.  It pays to go early because I had a hard time finding a parking spot big enough for my truck.


I took a deep breath and crossed the moat, heading for the round tables of the Knights.  Coke please.  I mean really, it's free, so it's what I drink.  This will be my last visit for awhile, so I took full advantage.

In no time the hoards were standing at the gate clamoring for entry.  I have a hard time figuring out how throwing your money away is fun, but that's just me.  The line was long, so we opened early and went to town.  Jackie is my new counter of cards, and she is AMAZING.  We whipped through those peasants like a hot knife through butter.

Here's the thing ... Jackie is a player, so they don't mind that she picks their cards.  It's good luck I guess.  Otherwise we get the stink eye for pulling cards right off the top of the pile.  There was only one fray at the table when one peasant took her bingo book out of order, before the lady in front had picked hers.  Oh my gosh ... if looks could kill, that lady would have been strung up from the highest beam in the castle.

Here's the King calling numbers from the bingo machine.  Like the infernal machine, it's gets tied up occasionally, which requires a tweak of the power cord for it to continue.  Not only do the called numbers show up here (in case you are late), but they show up on three television screens around the room.


We had over 120 people on this night, as the hot ball pot was up to $1199.00.  If you win bingo with the hot ball number, you win our pot AND theirs.  That's a cool $1449 in one fell swoop!  For someone who has raided the piggy bank for change to pay for bingo, you can imagine that's a pretty big windfall.

I had the normal "you charged me wrong last week" to "you didn't give me my red ticket" nonsense.  If you do it for one, suddenly 25 more people in the room have lost their ticket also.  It's epidemic!!

At last it was time to wind up the show.  I print out a ticket from the infernal machine that tells me how much money I should have.  OH CRAP!!  What did I do?  I'm $200 OVER.  At least I'm not short, right?  I count the money and count the money.  By now I'm tired (been up since 4:00 am) and my mind is blank.  

I explain the problem to the King who is happy as a clam.  OVER is good he says.  I put everything away, lock up the money in the safe and head to my truck.  


It never fails.  Two stop lights down the road and I remember exactly why I'm over.  I forgot to record the Bonanzas sold on the floor.  Maybe I'm getting too old for this job!!!  I sent a text message to the King that he didn't win Bingo on this night ... that the till was right after all.  

By the end of the night, the peasants were happy (at least those who won), I was happy and the King was happy.  Just a side note, all the money raised for the last few weeks is going to the people who were burned out in that last big fire in the foothills.  

Lucky me, I'm having company for two days, so a house cleaning frenzy is on the horizon.  I guess it's time to put all that camping stuff away and dust off my broom.  



7 comments:

  1. You are a stronger person than me. I would probably end up in jail after one night trying to manage the peasants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a trial, to be sure. I guess it's the few good ones that make it fun!!

      Delete
  2. Mr. Ed’s questions …why does the lawn guys keep cutting your light cords and your sprinklers if the sprinklers are functioning properly and recede properly and are clearly mark they shouldn’t be an issue if the ground lights are properly recessed Underground again you shouldn’t have a problem take a red spray cans and spray where they’ve damaged . my suggestion is the next time the lawn guy comes over Show where they screwed up and enlist their help to eliminate you’re out of pocket expense . That should very easily put them on notice Dollarwise no lawn guy likes to spend(his)money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first problem is that they don't speak English. I've shown them over and over, but they just don't care. The wires are on the ground. Why they get cut when trimming a bush, I'll never know. I told them it's going to cost them $100 to fix it. They STILL don't seem to care.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the great morning laugh with my coffee ……Let’s backtrack here for a second you hired them somebody had to speak English. or do they understand sign language. he’s the one you want to have a conversation with. and if wires are laying on the ground hell that’s another question why are the wires laying on the ground and not buried. Hire Somebody that speaks English in case the wires in PVC an bury them
      That would be a good YouTube video you telling a Mexican that doesn’t speak English how much is gonna cost him .. you’ve heard the saying the deer looking into the headlights stare . Next time tell them in pesos

      Delete
  3. I think it's great the the money is donated like that. The King and all his suitors are good people.
    Busy busy! Enjoy your company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually they are very nice people ... most of them anyway.

      Delete