Thursday, August 25, 2022

AZ DOT = CA DMV

I'm sitting on the patio in perfect darkness, sipping my cup of caffeine.  It's a lovely 73 degrees, when all of a sudden the sprinklers came on, scaring the you-know-what out of me.  I thought I was being attacked. There's nothing like the smell of rain in the desert, quite unlike the smell of sewer in my house because I forgot to plug that ONE drain from the washing machine.  I'm working on it ...... big sigh.

The view of green is epic.  Everything within 200 miles is blooming and growing like crazy.


There was a lovely thunderstorm about 8:00 pm, with lightning cracking right overhead.  The noise is deafening.  I stepped outside for a few quick pictures and instantly changed my mind.  The lightning is probably many miles away, but I swear it hit 50 yards from the house.  


I put the game camera out, only to see lots of wind and rain ALL NIGHT LONG!  All this rain also makes it rather humid.  Two minutes outside and you are covered in water dripping down your back.


There was no time to waste however, at 7:15 I was off to the Arizona Department of Transportation to get my truck registered.  It expired 7/31.  As I mentioned, they sent the registration ... no emission test required ... and I could register it for two years.  I mailed it off in plenty of time.

I got it all back, check included, with the NO crossed out.  At least it had a date stamp on it of 7/28.  So I had TRIED to pay it on time and they had RECEIVED it on time.

I was ready for bear!!  I drove to the testing facility and was car 22 in line at 7:45.  They had six people working, but only two lanes open.  I waited 30 minutes before finally getting up to the door.  Sugar gets you more than lemons, so I was as sweet as could be, in spite of the screaming in my head.  They got me out in ten minutes and thanked me for my GREAT attitude!  Ha!!!

Out the door and in the next parking lot found me at the DOT office with certificate in hand.  The wait is 4 minutes she said.  Twenty minutes later I was sitting down, again with the sugary sweet smile.  It worked, I got my registration, but only after refusing to pay the penalty for being late.  

A supervisor was requested.  He deleted the penalty, but could not explain to me why they keep sending a notice saying NO emission test is required.  It's their office ... shouldn't they know?  He said it was MY responsibility (not theirs) to know that a diesel truck needs a test every year.  Then WHY do you send me a notice saying I do NOT need one.  He just stood there.


Here's the problem ... I've not HERE the end of July to get the smog test (which only costs $12.25), so I asked them how that could be handled.  The question drew a blank.  Okay, what if I get the emission test in March or April?  It's good for a year, so it should be on the books for the July registration, right?  He said yes, that would work.  I don't believe a word he said.

Okay, we all know that won't work, but I'm going to try.  After spending all morning, I had a piece of paper in my hand.  Tags will be sent in a couple of weeks.

Now starving, it just happened that I passed a McDonalds on the way home.  OH YEAH ... egg McMuffin for me!!  No coke required to wash THIS one down!


Oh look ... there's a Safeway right next door, which was my next stop.  How convenient!!  The result however was less than satisfactory.  Do NOT go to the Safeway on Golf Link Road.  I'll tell you about it tomorrow, because right now, at 5:45 in the morning, I'm going out to pull weeds.  Won't THAT be fun!!



6 comments:

  1. Government Bureaucracy, you just have to put up with it sometimes. Isn't it strange that you go to a grocery store chain and this one over here is good, and this one over there is bad? All has to do with the manager. Same goes with restaurant chains, and even DOT/DMV offices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of the manager's being the problem. Sure sounds like it in this case.

      Delete
  2. I think he's lying too...Smog is only good for 30 days in CA. Every year it has to be smoked? That's worse than CA except $12.25 is a good price. Used to love the Egg Mc Muffin, haven't had them in years, but make them at home now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, every year it has to be smoked. I was originally told it never needed an emissions test, but they were wrong too. $12.25 is much better than the $85 I paid in Calif.

      Delete
  3. Utah has to be done every year and costs $40.00 which is about half of what the registration for my truck costs. $12.25 is a really good price. I think customer service at the DVM is kind of like the farmer getting his cow serviced by a bull.

    ReplyDelete