Sunday, July 12, 2020

Yay For Monsoons!!!

A few wispy clouds have been flying around the heavens here and there every morning, making for beautiful sunrises like this one.  They last about long enough for one cup of coffee.  Staying outside for long however, isn't an option.  It's 5:00 am and 80 degrees.
The first thing I do is check on Mrs. Dove.  She is nesting in my palm tree again, although nesting is a loosely knit term, just like her actual nest.  It looks like the eggs will fall out at any second.  It's been a bumper crop year for dove as probably eight pair have nests in the area and all frequent my water station.
My first project of the day was to take seven quilts to the new-to-me shop in town to be quilted.  When I roughly guessed at the price, I only took four.  Holy guacamole!!!  I'm going to need to find a part-time job!!  Just one queen quilt was $225.  Thankfully the others were smaller.  

Next up, a quick stop in at the fabric shop where masks were required.  I was in and out in less than five minutes, mostly because I can only hold my breath for two.  Now I can finish up one of the nine quilts I brought with me.  This virus stuff is costing me a fortune!!!

On the way home, although I needed to stop at several places, it was just too hot (around 104 I think) and too crowded.  I decided to splurge and stop at Arby's instead.  Here's my review of their chicken/bacon/swiss sandwich and sweet potato fries.  

The chicken with honey mustard sauce was delicious ... love the shredded lettuce ... on a soft tasty bun!  The fries WOULD have been delicious had they been warm with a little salt.  There was no seasoning at all and they were colder than the air temperature.  Of course I ate every one anyway!!

Even though I wanted to stand on the sidewalk and admire my new concrete pad, I really needed to give Cooper a haircut.  I think he has been hotter than me digging in the garden at noon.  For being such a good boy and standing perfectly still, we play the keep-away game for an hour.  I don't mind, it's actually cooler on the floor.
Suddenly my phone went off.  A major ALERT was wailing about take cover ... dust storm.  That's a new one for me!  I ran to the window to see, but only witnessed the trees pointing directly west due to the crazy winds!  YIKES!!

I ran outside to close the hatches on the rig, just in time for the downpour.  Those monsoon rains here are just crazy, but boy do I love them!!  It cooled things off just like putting a pan of hot hummingbird food in a cold water bath.  HOW LOVELY!!  A sweet 70 degrees.
Once the main storm passed, lightning began to surround me.  I couldn't stand it one more second.  I ran to the rig, grabbed my tripod and headed to the patio.  It's an addiction I tell you!!  I'll have pictures tomorrow.

Weird, yes?  It was 98 degrees and raining.  There's nothing like the smell of the first big desert rain.  
We're back up to 104 today.  Maybe I'll get lucky and find something fabulous drinking from my water station.  In the meantime, I have sprinkler repairs to be done and bushes to be trimmed.  Woohoo!!





12 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're adjusting back to desert life. Amazing how fast the storms come up but they are refreshing.
    If it is costing you that much to have your quilts quilted and you have so many it would be worth your while to invest in a Long-arm Sewing Machine.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have definitely checked out the long arm option. $9,000 worth of it. A little pricey. $20,000 if you want the computerized version. YIKES!!

      Delete
  2. Send some of that rain up here. We haven't had since February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm blowing with all my might to send it your way!!

      Delete
  3. Gotta love rain in the desert and the smell after! Nice to have it cooled down for a bit :) We had 100 yesterday and 101 for today uhhh...Thank goodness for a/c! Can't wait to see the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for AC ... that was prophetic Shirley!!

      Delete
  4. Y not ship tham out and save even with shipping cost would it not be cheaper ???
    https://www.quilterswindow.com/quilting-services.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. I know you can send them back East, but I'm not sure they would be cheaper. I'll check it out!!

      Delete
  5. You know it is hot there when you don't even see any Scorpions, which are too busy hiding under rocks. Don't ever lift up those pavers... Boy, it sure looks nice, and thank goodness for that rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are exactly right. There is ONE good thing to be said about the heat. No snakes either!!

      Delete
  6. Wow, you have an expensive hobby too but it is obvious you love it. :) I'm married to someone like that!!
    Thank you for the picture of Cooper. I so miss hugging a little cuddly bundle like that.
    Funny, our reactioons to the rain. I don't like the winds of a storm, ever, but they seem to come hand in hand here too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news this is to everyone out there with different health challenges, as I know there are still a lot of people suffering from different health issues and are therefore looking for solutions. I bring you Good news. There is a man called Dr Emmanuel  a herbal practitioner who helped cure me from HSV (2), i had suffered from this diseases for the past 5 years and i have spent so much money trying to survive from it. I got my healing by taking the herbal medicine Dr Emmanuel sent to me to drink for about 14 days . 3 days after completion of the dosage, I went for a medical checkup and I was tested free from HSV. all thanks to God for leading me to Dr Emmanuel who was able to cure me completely from this deadly diseases, I’m sharing this so that other people can know of this great healer called Dr Emmanuel because I got to know him through elizabeth who he cured from HIV. I was made to understand that he can cure several other deadly diseases and infections. Don’t die in ignorance or silent and don’t let that illness take your life. Contact Dr Emmanuel through his email traditionalherbalhealingcentre@gmail.com You can also whatsapp/call him on:+2348140033827 .He cure all forms of disease {1}HIV/AIDS {2}DIABETES {3}EPILEPSY {4} BLOOD CANCER {5} HPV {6} BRAIN TUMOR {7} HEPATITIS {8}COPD{9} SICKLE AND ANAEMIA.etc Be kind enough to share as you received. 

    ReplyDelete