Thursday, July 2, 2020

SKUNKS GET SKUNKED!!!

This is just what I DON'T need ... a back yard full of baby skunks.  The saga continues.  With a WAY too close call yesterday (for the third time) I decided my foray into the jungle of my huge horse corral just hadn't done the trick.

Being the fashionista that I am, I donned my shorts and cowboy boots, stuffed my gun in one side of my waistband and a big can of wasp spray on the other, along with a nice shapely black plastic bag, just to be sure I didn't get hit with any greasy O'de Parfume.  The hunt was on!!!
I had walked the fence line before, looking for any way they could have entered.  THIS time I literally walked the line like I was stopped by the Highway Patrol after twelve drinks, not that I really know what that looks like.  

I almost broke my ankle when I fell in that big hole under the fence.  Although I cleaned it out in this picture, it was completely covered with dry grass and invisible to my eye.  AHA you little rat!!  I GOT YOU!!!  

Having several big chunks of concrete around, I grabbed one, stuffed it in the hole completely blocking the entrance and covered it with dirt.  HA!!!  Take THAT you little brat!!
I figured I had stopped him, but just for kicks, decided I better finish walking the line.  LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!  Another escape route!!  It took my biggest piece of concrete to block THIS one!!  I'll show you, you little devils!!

I'm very aware they will probably just dig another hole (big sigh) but at least maybe I'll have ONE morning without a skunk confrontation.  

Not having any confidence in those thoughts, I went out well prepared this morning.  I had hooked up a long hose with my handle that shoots water like a canon.  Flashlight in hand, I sprayed underneath every rose bush and bravely walked the flowerbed to the tree where he was the morning before.  I sprayed everything with a blast of water.  Nothing moved.  At least not that I could tell.  After all, it's pitch black dark and they are black, right? Very hard to see.
Even so, I put both dogs on leashes to go out.  I'm not taking ANY chances!!  This morning I will again don my best skunky outfit and walk the fashion ramp like a model, just to be sure I don't find any new holes.  I rather imagine that will be my M.O. for the next few days.

In the meantime, I'm packing.  It's way past time to be out of California.

As for the DMV appointment ... it was unusual to say the least.  I'll tell you all about it tomorrow!!






12 comments:

  1. You poor thing, those skunks are evil! Love the picture in my mind of you, shorts, boots and a gun! Now that's a cowgirl! I'm looking at the dried grass thinking snakes..You are a brave one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very lucky that there are no snakes around here!! Yes, it was a sight to see!

      Delete
  2. It's good that you are blocking holes to keep them out but spraying them with Water in the dark will not send them packing. You have to Flood Light the area to wake them first then hit them with the water.
    Now Shirley is giving you something else to think about.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using every trick in the book. Hopefully they get tired of the problems they are facing! LOL

      Delete
  3. Every now and then when we are in Citrus Heights (like we are now) we smell a distant skunk...last night was one of those nights, but only for 30 minutes or so (shut windows again and turn on AC...30 minutes later the windows were open again for the night.) YUCK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty stinky. They may not be so far away as you think. This is a pretty busy neighborhood full of dogs and they STILL don't care.

      Delete
  4. Sounds as if skunks are taking over. Time to go! I need to prepare for my CDL and get it done. Interested to here about your DL visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug, you can go online and take test after test. It's a really good idea. I started out missing 4 or 5, but by the time I had done most of them, I wasn't missing any.

      Delete
  5. Instead of shooting them in your yard follow them back through the fence to the neighbors yard and then shot him her and her little buddies at least you'll know where the hole is besides the two that you found
    Once you find the entry point that'll give you the best place to put a skunk trap
    A word of caution once you trapped a skunk in the cage I wouldn't suggest you pick it up and put it in your car You need to put a plastic sheet over the cage and then call the SPCA animal control officer The local constable sheriffs department your lawn guy Mr. C you notice I didn't put my name in there for somebody to take elskunko to a new home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Ed ..... don't you want a couple of furry kitties? Yeah, that trapping idea with them spraying everywhere didn't sound too good.

      Delete
  6. Yup, go get 'em cowgirl!! I can just picture it. Boots, gun and shorts. haha 'Dem darn skunks don't have a chance now that you're getting down to business.

    ReplyDelete