Friday, July 17, 2020

Oh Deer, Oh Deer!!

It's been overcast a lot in Tucson lately.  That hasn't done much for the heat, but the days are more bearable in the shade.  It does make for some amazing sunrises though.  Every morning I sit with my cup of coffee on the patio, listening for the birds and scanning the horizon with my big shovel by my side.  You never know when a snake may wander in.
All of a sudden .... LOOK .... DEER, OH DEER, DEER!!!  I quietly rushed inside to grab my camera.  I admit, the first few pictures didn't turn out quite as I expected.  The camera was still set on Neowise.  Lucky for me, these guys were thirsty!
Look at the velvet on these beauties!!  I get excited every time I see them.  In no time, they drank the water station dry.
This was the leader of the pack.  What a rack HE had!!  
I snuck back outside and over to the sprinkler valve so I could turn it on again and fill the bucket.  They drank all of that and more.  The babies were thirsty!!
It looks like maybe two generations of bucks hanging out together.   There was not a doe in sight.  After drinking their fill, they wandered off down the hill.  Gosh I love seeing these guys!!
That little morning excitement made it easier to deal with Dish Network who magically raised my rates at the exact same time they charged for my baseball package.  Oh ... my rate went up ... must be the baseball.  Check a little deeper Nancy ... they raised my fees $35 a month.  

Granted, I have three "houses" hooked up with them, but for the last two years I had a guaranteed rate of $70 a month.  Where did the time go???  It of course took a lot of persistence and THREE people before I talked them into lowering it back to $70 a month for another two years.  No refunds of course so I lost about $140.  There really should be a bell in your head you can set to go off and remind you of this stuff!!

With that having taken over an hour on the phone, I was starving.  Lets cook a package of bacon on the barbecue.  Since trying it once before, I decided to go the easy cleanup route and put foil on a pan.  I hooked up my last little green bottle.

Too bad I wasn't a little more observant.  I don't know how, but I must have brushed up against the turn-on knob.  When I went back outside to begin cooking, all I smelled was gas.  RATS!!  I drained the tank.  

So ... after scrounging through every cupboard in the house, I found one more bottle of green.  I know it's hard to tell here, but that's a hot dog beside the piece of bacon.  I know they are a little black ... I mean I wouldn't know what to do if something didn't burn.

The pan of bacon stayed on a tad bit too long.  I do like my bacon crispy!!  It was delicious!!!
I did a little sewing and snuggled with the puppies on the couch.  I have to say I'm getting completely spoiled by Cooper, or maybe it's the other way around.

And so another day has passed in beautiful HOT Arizona.  It couldn't have been any better than seeing deer in my back yard.  Now ..... what to do with 11 more slices of slightly charred bacon.






20 comments:

  1. Love cooking bacon on bbq,no mess in oven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried it twice now, but I tend to burn it. Guess I need to turn the heat down! LOL

      Delete
  2. Love the deer with their felt covered horns. Nice that you have the water station for the various visitors :) I love a burnt hot dog!! Bacon works too! Bacon lettuce tomato sandwich!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot dogs are like marshmallows .... a little char is quite tasty!!

      Delete
  3. At least you haven't seen any skunks! I like peanut butter sandwiches with mayo and bacon. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness Carol!! I'm still having nightmares about those guys!! Peanut butter and mayo? Ummm I'm not sure about that one! LOL

      Delete
  4. Great pictures of the Deer. Surprised you don't have your camera with you all the time when in Arizona.
    As you remember I often times grill Two or more pounds of Bacon at a time. Once it is cooked it will last indefinitely in the Freezer. Kathy then soaks the grease off before layering it in containers in the freezer. She can then Nuke it Sandwiches or with Eggs. Often times we just chop it to add to Salads.
    Be Safe and Enjoy Cooper's antics.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm following your lead Rick. That's my plan, but I usually end up eating it before it gets in the freezer. Yup my camera is always with me down here.

      Delete
  5. Great pictures of the deer. Too bad you couldn't get a good one of the comet but you did try hard. I like my bacon crispy too. Stay inside and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm too far south. It's too light here to see the comet when it comes by.

      Delete
  6. Well those were nice visitors. Beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they would come by more often. Love to see those babies.

      Delete
  7. ...'slightly charred bacon'... That's when it is just right according to mom and Marcia. Not me, I like my bacon like me steaks, medium rare. Nice Bucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like my bacon well done .... black usually does the trick!!

      Delete
  8. You're kidding me? Who ever has trouble figuring out how to use bacon? Bacon goes on everything! Including nothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are certainly right there Linda!! Truthfully, a pound of bacon doesn't last me long at all!!

      Delete
  9. The last photo made my mouth water.And I've had supper. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could eat hot dogs for every meal. Add bacon and I'm a happy girl!!

      Delete
  10. This time of year bucks are in bachelor groups. They will stay together until just before mating season then they will no longer tolerate each other and will fight when they see each other. The 10 pointer is a beauty!

    We bought a conversion hose for our grill so now we can hook it up to a large propane take instead of using those green bottles. It paid for itself pretty quickly as those bottles are $5.00 or more each and propane right now is less than $200/gallon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, no wonder they were all "boys" .... out playing! Sadly, I have a big tank, but no propane in it!! LOL

      Delete