Wednesday, July 22, 2020

About Those Ribs

I honestly don't think there is a better way to cook pork than to smoke it.  Ribs in particular are my favorite.

There's probably as many ways to cook ribs as there are people in the world.  I'll give you my recipe in a bit.  In the meantime, while the racks were soaking in all that lovely Mesquite flavor, I was fixing STUFF.

My sprinkler irrigation lines have a section that runs down to the water station.  It's one of the favorite play toys of the javelinas.  Cute little guys, right?  But very destructive.  They will root around and upturn everything in your yard.  They make big holes in the ground and bite everything they can get their big teeth into.
The plastic line comes through my cinder block fence at just the right height for biting.  I can't tell you how many geysers I've discovered from teeth holes.  With Dan's help, we fixed the lower portion by adding PVC pipe.  Now it was MY turn to add the same pipe to the top section.

I had a little trouble fitting a ten foot section into my Jeep, but made it home in time to do the repairs when it was 103 degrees.  I don't think I've ever changed clothes so often!!  

So .... I cut out the bad part, made TWO connections adding in a new section since the line was now too short, and slipped it all into the PVC pipe.  Bite THAT my little friends!!

Eventually I'll find something to disguise the pipe, maybe just cover it up with rocks and gravel .... when it's 20 degrees cooler!!
Speaking of "pigs" ... here's the two racks just before hitting the smoker.  Put them on the racks at 225 degrees for two hours with smoke.  Take them out, wrap them in foil and back in the smoker they go (no smoke this time) for another two hours.  

Take them out again, enjoying the lovely aroma of burning mesquite, open up the foil and smear your favorite barbecue sauce all over.  I like Sweet Baby Ray's, but whatever your favorite is, works perfect. 
After another 30-60 minutes, take them out and let them rest for a few minutes.  Open up and dig in!!!  I didn't even have time for a picture before we cut them up, ready to devour!!  
Dan did a great job ... they were perfectly tender and oh so tasty.  In no time, all you could see was bones!!  Nurse Patty made some delicious potato salad and cole slaw to go with it.  YUM YUM!!!  
The best part is we all got leftovers.  There's another piece in the fridge just calling my name.  The worst part is cleaning the racks for next time.  It's worth it though.

On the schedule for today is ..... wait for it ..... the installation of my RV COVER!!!  Yay!  I'm so excited!!!  It's going to be an interesting day as it's overcast and storms are predicted, along with that lovely lightning I like to photograph.  I'm not sure how this is going to shake out ... we may have to wait a little before standing up on that ladder holding big pieces of metal.   Not ME mind you, but the installation guys.  Pictures coming soon.



8 comments:

  1. Javelins! That's what they are! I couldn't come up with the name the other day. Bill and I were hoping you'd mention it in that post. haha Little buggers.
    Those ribs do look awesome! We'll have to settle for 'our' favourite way to cook them; in the IP. Glad you enjoyed them and have leftovers to boot!
    Fingers crossed for the weather to hold off for your rv cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I like ribs in the instant pot too. They are so much faster!!!

      Delete
  2. Those ribs look amazing! Can't wait to see the RV cover! Yes those Javelinas are destructive little creatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited about the cover I can't stand it!!

      Delete
  3. If the PVC piping doesn't work you may have to use Metal Pipe. They won't chew through that. Only other remedy is to bury it.
    The Ribs looked tasty.
    Good Luck on your new RV Cover.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they get through the PVC I will definitely try metal. Thanks Rick!

      Delete
  4. Find a junk guy that's a scrapper and tell him you want 20 feet of schedule 40 steel pipe. Or go to a scrapyard
    It shouldn't cost you much
    Switch your last 10 or 15 feet PVC pipe out for the steel pipe pig can't bite through it
    but by all means put plenty of rock around it or literally steak it to the ground because they'll push it around
    If you still use PVC do not glue the couplings just shove it in there tight easy to get out later
    Your rib Food is making me hungry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They CAN push it around ... I didn't think of that. I'll make sure it's staked down good.

      Delete