Wednesday, July 29, 2020

RV Repairs .... Whoopee!!!

Anyone who owns an RV knows it's pretty much the same as a boat.  A big hole you throw money into.  I have to admit however, that I haven't had it too bad.  When I bought my rig, I purchased an extended warranty (thanks to the advice from Mr. Chance) that covered that air conditioner that blew up and the pipe that came loose under the shower, as well also a few other minor things.

The only other major problem I had was a leak on my slide, mostly because the slide topper had basically melted so water was running THROUGH the fabric and down the side of the slide on the inside.  That was a lovely $800 repair.  All of those fixes were completed at La Mesa RV.

I called them about the dash air and they said no.  I called RWC, a freightliner repair shop and THEY said no.  I called Lazydays, who said bring her in!!  That's when I met Zack.  What a great service guy!!

Lucky for me, the person with the 9:00 appointment didn't show up, meaning I got in early.  The list is short ... fix the door handle, fix the water draining into the freezer on the household fridge, replace the wiring from the rig to the Jeep plug and feed the dash air some freon.

The outcome was predictable.  They do not work on household refrigerator/freezers.  No surprise.  The door handle just needed to be completely lubed ... no charge.  The dash air has already been fixed ... YAY ... and the wiring ordered for the plug will arrive today.
About that wiring ... way back in 2012 or 2013, I followed the Westerfields up a too steep incline, causing the hitch to cut the wiring harness in half.  Our repair has lasted at least seven years.  Not bad!!  But now all that tape we put on is coming off and exposing the wires.  Time for a complete redo.

So far, I have to say I wholeheartedly recommend this shop.  It's so easy to get in .. all their service guys are right in a line with the service desk easily accessible.  Not only that, but they agreed to keep it plugged in the entire time it was in the shop.  Possibly it was easy because it's hotter than you now what, with few customers this time of year.

Back home, even though I got several heat advisories, I headed out front to figure out why this pot and everything along the house was not getting water.  I really didn't want to dig up the entire drip system.  

Suddenly it hit me.  This entire station is not working.  I gingerly lifted up the big box that covers the valves ... no use getting stung by a scorpion for nothing!!

Well that was easy ... look ... the wiring isn't even attached.  I have a feeling SOMEONE has been in there chewing on things.  Of course I could find not one single wire nut in the house for a fix.  I DID find a box of thingies in the rig where you could splice two ends together.  Let's try it.

How shocked was I when I hit the manual valve and the water began to pour out!!  I can't believe I fixed that myself and it WORKS!!  I'm not really sure for how long, because none of those wires look very good.  So I carefully covered it up again, being sure to pile rocks around the edges to keep critters out.  Maybe this little purple wandering jew plant will survive after all.
In the afternoon, just because we deserved a treat, Miss Patty and I headed out to Screamers for some ice cream.  I didn't see this particular sign, I just pulled it from the internet.  Anyway, they have lots of choices like bacon and bourbon.  I was so tempted to try it, but they were not giving out samples, so I opted for the coffee toffee.  What could be better than big pieces of candy mixed in with ice cream?
It was a very nice stressless day thanks to Zack, ending up with another gorgeous sunset.  
I expect, or maybe HOPE, my rig will be ready late today or possibly tomorrow.  I've no idea what the cost will be ... like most shops, their repair rate is $149.00 an hour.  Don't you wish YOU made that much?



8 comments:

  1. Always nice when you can find a shop you like and trust! Funny that residential fridges are put into the rigs but no one works on them. Oh that ice cream looks so delicious! What a gorgeous sunset!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I have to call a regular appliance repairman. Sunsets have been lovely!!

      Delete
  2. You said: "It was a very nice stressless day thanks to Zack, ending up with another gorgeous sunset."

    I thought you were going to say: "It was a very nice stressless day thanks to Zack, ending up with another gorgeous 'repair man to dream about'." (LOL)

    Good job on the wire repair...I am confident that you could totally replace that wire if you need to, it is low voltage...just take a 2-3 foot section to Home Depot and tell them you want some wire of better quality than this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So ..... don't think that didn't cross my mind, but he was WAY too young! Ha! Wow ... thanks for the wire advice. Really, I had no idea what to do with the wire since it's all been chewed on. I'll see if I can replace all of it.

      Delete
  3. glad you are getting your rig fixed. If that fridge was in the rig when you bought that insurance it should be covered. If it is but not there just take it to an Appliance Repair shop or have a Tech come out to fix it.
    Most find a way to hang their Wires off the ground.
    Be Safe and Enjoy that Sunset.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea about the repair tech ... then I wouldn't have to pay a service fee! Thanks!!!

      Delete