Saturday, July 25, 2020

I'm A Believer Now

They say there are lots of creatures that migrate to Arizona, but I don't usually get to see many of them.  Even though I love my little section of desert, it's apparently not suitable for most visitors.  Wasn't I surprised when I spotted this beauty.

This is a hooded oriole.  The color is magnificent.  I spotted him in the early morning being WAY too interested in the dove nest.  They eat primarily insects, so I'm not sure what he saw in the palm tree.  Maybe he was just being sociable.
There have been two or three around the last few days.  I guess birds really DO migrate to my little part of the world.
The day got even better!  I had an appointment to get my truck registered in Arizona.  You can't get in the door without your printed appointment paperwork.  Many tried and were turned away.  Once inside, my first stop was the picture department.  I'm also getting an Arizona ID card.  It helps with purchasing THINGS here.  

At any rate, it's the second worst picture in the history of Nancy pictures!!   I was then pointed to a short line of people, but all being six feet apart, it crossed the entire building.
My appointment was for 11:48.  This shouldn't take long ... there were four window open.  At exactly 12:00, three windows closed.  WAIT ..... I'm next in line!!!  Twenty minutes later I was called up.  The ID card was first .... at no charge, because I'm OLD.  I'm not sure how I feel about that, but YAHOO ... FREE is good!  They will mail it to me.

Here's the kicker that made me a believer!  My truck insurance in California was $1,000.  The license cost $407.  That's $1400 smackeroos!

Now that I have Arizona Insurance, it costs only $400 and .... WAIT FOR IT .... the license was $90.  I kid you not .... so $490 for the entire shebang.  Sadly, California Insurance companies stick it to you.  Since I took my truck OFF my house insurance policy, I will now be penalized by a $400 increase in THAT one!!!  BUT I still saved money.  Take THAT California!!!
The other two vehicles will be transferred next year.  They are already paid for and California definitely won't be giving me any refunds.  When they expire, I'll report on the cost of licensing those two.

I was so happy on the way home, I decided to spend some of that savings on lunch.  I've been wanting to try Popeyes, who have those wonderful advertisements about their chicken sandwich.  It just looks so amazing!!

Well ... I don't know if it was the BEST I've ever eaten, but it was pretty darn tasty!!  Honesty, there's nothing like a big chunk of fried chicken sitting on a soft mayo-covered bun.  I took the pickles out.  The cole slaw side was okay ... KFC's is better in my book ... but this certainly fit the bill.  I was stuffed for $8.00.  Oh, and it came with a VERY tasty lemonade!!
Okay, I've refrained from talking about the RV cover long enough.  I went inside yesterday afternoon just to test the temperature.  I'm not kidding you, I think it was much cooler inside than outside.  I just can't believe there's such a dramatic difference.  

The shades were up making it light and airy ... the windows were open and a slight breeze blew through ... it was heaven!!  I actually spent about ten minutes looking for some paperwork and didn't break out in a sweat!!  It's fabulous I tell you!!

I didn't have the side panels go to the ground because of the extra expense, but will at some time finish at least the sunny side.  It does make it a little better when it comes to the wind, to have a break at the bottom.  

Nancy is definitely a HAPPY CAMPER and a well fed one!!!






15 comments:

  1. You did awesome at the ID place and I'm sure your picture isn't as bad as ours! We all look like convicts for sure.(ps - it doesn't even look like you!) haha
    Congrats on the huge, yes, huge savings and won't it be nice to get the other 2 vehicles changed over. Kudos!
    Love love the hooded oriole, he is beautiful and the pictures are great.
    Also, not surprised about the change in the coach under the cover. Bill notices a change under our cheapy one when in his cargo trailer so yours would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference in temperatures is drastic. SO much nicer!!
      As to that picture ..... I'll post it when it comes in the mail!! LOL

      Delete
  2. $$$ Oh I see more fabric on the horizon
    Maybe you can make curtains for the RV portico

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Mr. Ed, good thinking! She could start a trend with that. Move over, barn quilts, quilted curtains are the must-have accessory for all the best RV carports now. And since Nancy saved so much cash on the insurance + license for her truck, she can be the first to cash in on the new craze & buy a long arm quilting machine.(erm, do the arms come over 12'?)

      Delete
    2. Oh you both are SO right!!!! LOL

      Delete
  3. Once the word gets out that there is water by your house it could turn into a Wildlife Sanctuary.
    Glad you are happy with your Savings. You might consider doing the RV and Jeep while you are there rather then waiting for them to expire. It will save you in the long run.
    I like the Popeye's Chicken Sandwiches but the KFC has more bite.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it DOES become a wildlife sanctuary ... that's why I love the desert so much. Lots of critters that are NOT black and white.

      Delete
  4. Jerry is an AZ resident. One day I looked at his AZ license. I have no clue whose picture is on that license. I'm happy things are working out so well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello fellow Arizonian Jerry!! Too funny about his picture. Their cameras are really old and make you look three inches shorter!!

      Delete
  5. I don't understand why Cal and Az have to mail the license/id card, seems like they can print it right then and give it to you...that is how it was in Arkansas and it is how it is in Florida.

    How about making a water-proof quilt to fit along that sunny side? (just joking)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In California, they just hand you the license plates. Here you get a plastic copy until the real one shows up.

      Delete
  6. That RV cover sure makes a difference. I need to get a new license next month and don't know what to do with my nine month-long hairdo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your nine-month hairdo will look just fine! You look like a real mountain man!!!!

      Delete
  7. The insurance companies seem to get you coming and going. We moved ours around last year and saved quite a bit of money. We have the truck, jeep, house and 2 4 wheelers split between two different companies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a savings on the insurance and registration! WE saved some on registration in NV vs CA but our real difference was on insurance! CA really gets ya! I used to love KFC coleslaw, haven't had it in ages, but was always the best! The Chicken sandwich looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete