Sunday, July 26, 2020

Busy Day At The Watering Hole

You might think I spend my entire day staring out the window.  You would be pretty much right.  When you've got lots of critters in the desert coming for a drink, it's hard to get anything done.

The first visitor was this beauty.  From far away (and I was very far away), they look just plain drab brown.  They blend in with the desert sand nicely.
I really can't get close to these guys at all since they are so very wary.  Up close with my telephoto lens however, you can see the different colors, patches of white and even orange.  They keep my back yard bug free!
Then there is THIS view ... my summer favorite.  There are a few houses dotting the landscape, but they are probably 2 miles away, so not really visible.  This is where I park my chair.
There were even more orioles in the early morning cool, if 80 degrees is cool.  I actually watched them come up on my back steps and snag all the bugs that died trying to fly into my yellow bugless back porch light.
When I saw a bunny rabbit jump straight up and race off, I knew SOMETHING was coming.  I waited until I saw movement way back in the scrub brush.  Sure enough, here came another gorgeous deer.  A mule deer to be exact.  His beautiful rack of horns are still covered with velvet.
Boy that water tastes good!!!  He would drink, then lick his lips to get every drop.  Although not really scared of anything, he did keep a watchful eye.  He completely drained my water basin.
Next he moved up a few paces and drained the small container that also has water for the birds.  He was a thirsty guy!!  I watched and waited.  In a few minutes, he sauntered off into the desert, nibbling on trees as he went.  It's a good thing cameras went digital.  I think I took 50 pictures!!
AND THEN ... who should appear but Jack!!  I snuck out the back door and turned on the water to refill the tank.  Now THIS guy was VERY wary.  He would take one step and listen for literally two minutes before taking one more step ... and listening again.  It was a good fifteen minutes before he got down to the water.  That's probably why he's still alive!!
The rest of the day I did a little sewing in between looking out the windows.  I spent quite a bit of time looking for stuff in the rig where I was cool as a cucumber!!  Not overheated one little bit!!  I'll tell you what I found tomorrow because now, it's prime water-station-watching time!!





16 comments:

  1. You would be wary too if you were the bottom of the food chain and everything wanted to kill you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right!! He was definitely more wary than any other critter out here.

      Delete
  2. At this rate you'll be able to charge a viewing fee to visitors.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the scenery.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding ... it's been pretty spectacular this summer.

      Delete
  3. Love the pictures today of all your visitors. I wish my lizards were as skittish as yours! Kept me from going out the back door yesterday, he just wouldn't move!! ahhhh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny .... I did have an encounter yesterday!!

      Delete
  4. Love your visitors and you've captured beautiful pictures of them. That is an awesome view through the orange flowered bush and cactus. Wow! What a beautiful location you have and critters to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing you can't see the heat in pictures!!

      Delete
  5. You are so good to the animals. Need to keep up with the 'water' holes. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My water station is full year round. It automatically fills up every day!!

      Delete
  6. You had some beautiful visitors except for the lizard. I don't like those critters. What a view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do good with the lizards ... it's the snakes I don't want to see!!

      Delete
  7. Love the view.

    If all of us used our ears to hear, instead of our mouths yelling, what a different world it would be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty amazing to sit outside in the early morning when it's quiet.

      Delete
  8. I'd be stuck in that chair for as long as I could tolerate the weather. How wonderful to see what you can see....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth Judith ... you can only sit out in the mornings. It's too hot in the summer to stay for long.

      Delete