Monday, July 20, 2020

Southern Arizona

Edited:  Gosh I guess I hit a nerve with the wineries in Elgin.  All the information I posted came directly from Wikipedia and the internet.  They said all of it was completely false and threatened to sue me.  

I might have tried their wines and spent some time telling everyone how awesome it was, but now I will never know because I won't visit them. 




I have to admit, I was MUCH more interested in these two guys than I was the wineries.  I've heard of pronghorn antelope in this area, but have only seen one fleetingly while driving by.  I came to a screeching stop when I saw these guys on the top of the hill.
Obviously they saw me too.  With no place to park, I just stopped in the middle of the road.  Aren't they magnificent?  
I'm guessing this is a female.  She was more wary than the male was.  I was so excited I could hardly stand it.  

On the way back I stopped in at Doug Laning's hangout, Empire Ranch.  If only I could have a little house there!!





8 comments:

  1. It's no wonder those wineries are closing..if I paid 15.00 for a tour and glass of wine (or $10.00) I'd have no $$ left for the wine! LOL. I'd rather have a free tasting and then buy what I want. Flying Leap, my favorite name too! Those Pronghorn are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the price is one reason they had no one visiting on Saturday.

      Delete
  2. Interesting History about the Wineries. Lots of business ventures start with grants that allow them to get started on someone else's dime.
    Great pictures of the Pronghorn.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the grant money was spent on the project, not his property. He did buy property after gathering information for the grant on growing grapes in the four corners area, or at least that's what the grape growing sources say.

      Delete
  3. I don't know anything about this area so all the information was interesting. I sure wish we could have received a grant to start our business. The antelope....wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the grants started the idea of growing grapes in this region. The wineries came later.

      Delete
  4. I too like a sweet wine, not into the 'REDS' at all...except for the Mogen David Blackberry and Concord wines, which are really deep purple and very sweet. Of course, not on our diet anymore...

    ReplyDelete