Thursday, July 16, 2020

Neowise Where Are You?

It's not often that I will stay up late at night to get a picture.  Mostly because no matter what time I go to bed, I always wake up at 4:00.  I have to be honest, I would do it for critters, but for a light in the sky?  Not so much.

So here I am, camped out on the back lawn, waiting.    And waiting.    And I waited some more.  It soon became clear that clouds were covering the suspected area and I was getting nowhere.
For whatever reason, the NEXT evening, it would be visible about 45 degrees to the West, right below the big dipper about an hour after sunset.  I camped out again in 95 degree heat.  No one said photography would always be a walk in the park.  

Here's my image.  Can you see it?  Me either.  I sat out there for two solid hours swatting little bugs and moths, to get a beautiful picture of the big dipper.  It really is there ... maybe if you click on the picture to make it bigger?  
Just for kicks, I did a 30 second image.  This is probably the closest I'm going to get to the Neowise comet.  It shows just how fast the earth is really moving.  In 30 seconds, it moved that much to make these stars look long like a comet.
There were some nice cloud formations ... this was another 40 second take.
Yes I stayed up AGAIN last night, to no avail.  When I try to figure out the timing with paper and pencil, I'm pretty sure it's visible, but at something like 11:30 at night.  Five hours sleep just doesn't get it for me, so here you go.  This is someone ELSE'S image taken over Mt. St. Helens in Washington.

It's a very cool picture of something they say you won't see again for 6800 years.  
What I DID get an image of was this very young coyote.   I like this better than the comet anyway!!  He came very early in the morning just as I happened by the window.  Their hearing is so good that the click of my camera stopped him mid swallow and he stared right at me.  Not the best of images since it was very dark and I was having a hard time getting the camera to focus.

One more quick drink and he was off.  He just didn't like the mad clicking as I took 20 pictures.
It's been way over the top hot, so staying inside is the game of the day.  I probably look out my window 150 times, you know, just in case something walks by.  And walk by it did!!!  More pictures tomorrow!!!




13 comments:

  1. Remembering the days of Three Minute Exposures has kept my Cameras pointed toward the ground. Great pictures of what is all around us.
    Be Safe and Enjoy catching up on your sleep.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the fun days where you could use F4 (or a pinhole over the lens) asa15/25 roll film unlike today we get it instantly back then we had to go process it
      But the beauty of that is when I process the film and I do a print I can play with the negative to paper time exposure there as well to get it light or dark

      Delete
    2. It's so much easier now with digital. Processing film takes WAY too long!!!

      Delete
  2. You certainly have given it your best shot looking for the comet! love the coyote picture, so cute. Beautiful sunset once again! The comet over Mt. St Helens is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw one taken from the Saguaro National Forest right near me, but I didn't capture it. It was truly gorgeous!!

      Delete
  3. Now that is a nice picture of Mount St. Helens with the comet...wish it was your or my photo! (lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was mine also!! I've lost some sleep over this one!!

      Delete
  4. Play with your camera more if you have a star chart or satellite chart find out when ISS or star link is going to pass you will only have about two minutes
    But there fun to try to capture
    Try taking a picture of a constellation but be aware of city neighborhood light pollution
    I'm not sure what lens you're using why not take the big lens off an use your smallest lens aim it towards a constellation that is closest to the darkest portion actually use the Big or little dipper as a reference point don't change the camera angle just change the setting
    If you set your ISO high 1600 to 3200
    And play with your time exposure hypothetically 10 seconds 15. 20 30 40and 50 then compare your shots on your computer
    You could almost do something like this
    14mm: 500/14 = 35 seconds (300/14 = 21 seconds)
    16mm: 500/16 = 31 seconds (300/16 = 18 seconds)
    20mm: 500/20 = 25 seconds (300/20 = 15 seconds)
    24mm: 500/24 = 20 seconds (300/24 = 12 seconds)
    If you lower your ISO and close down your aptitude you could do a 1 2 3 4and five minute exposures as long as you don't change the camera only the settings and then put them on the computer to see where your work is just make sure you write everything down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup ..... did all of that. I even processed everything in photoshop to see if it would appear with adjustments. Nothing. I'll keep trying. It's supposed to be the closest to us around the 22nd.

      Delete
  5. I was able to see the comet this morning at about 4:00am. At least I thought that is what it was....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome!!! The further North you are, the more likely you are to see it. I'm a little too far south.

      Delete
  6. You can't say you didn't try to get a picture of the comet. Points for that. I don't have the patience, hence not a real photographer.
    You got one of the coyote and he is pretty!
    You can sleep tonight now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be able to see it Patsy. Anyone further North has a much better chance, and you are definitely North!!

      Delete