Saturday, July 18, 2020

No ..... It Can't Be True!!!

So ...... I walked outside last night to catch the last few rays of the sun and thought to myself ... gosh, it's cooled off a bit.  This is VERY nice ... even comfortable.  I sat down and watched the puppies wander about the yard.

When I got inside, I thought I would see just how cool it was.  WHAT???  92 degrees and I'm thinking it was COOL???  Something is definitely wrong with me.  It can't be true that I've adjusted to HOT!  I went inside and turned the AC up, just because!!

Here's another one I discovered the other day.  You really wouldn't think the toilet paper companies would be scamming us, would you?  Well yes they are!  In order to keep all the hoarders supplied with the most important product on the planet, they have SKINNIED UP THE ROLLS by over an inch!!!  Who knew you were getting less for a lot more money??  That's my did-you-know fact for the day.  That's what happens when you stay inside too long.
I did get out long enough to catch this fire burning in the same place the other BIG Arizona fire was finally stopped.  I don't know if it was a recurrence or another lightning strike.  I don't see it this morning, so hopefully they got it out again.
What CAN be true is this was a bumper crop year for quail.  All day long, bunches and bunches are hitting up the water.  At this stage they are all teenagers, not really sure what to do but scatter like crazy if they hear a noise or see movement.
More and more bunnies are showing up too.  Many more than last year.  I haven't seen the jackrabbit, but there are plenty of cottontails to take his place.  Talk about wary, they move two inches and wait .... move a couple more inches and wait .... with those ears moving right and left.  
Yesterday there were 22 quail in my back yard.  They especially like the lawn after the sprinklers have come on.   I think there were ten in this little group, with another 30 or so hanging out in the front under the big rosemary bush.  It's so darn cute to see the teens dig with their feet and take a dust bath.  They kick up dirt everywhere!!
For the coup de gras, guess who showed up?  Chippy's cousin!!!  This is a white tailed antelope squirrel.  I've only seen them once or twice.  They are very tiny and blend in too well with the rocks and sand!!
Here's a little better picture from the internet.  Cute little guys!!  
One thing we have seen is a lot of lovely sunsets.  There have been many days of forecasts calling for rain, none of which have happened.  Instead, the cloud cover has made for gorgeous viewing.
I've determined I must get out of the house today.  In spite of the heat, I think it's time for a road trip.  






6 comments:

  1. We find that staying in shaded areas helps us to feel more comfortable. Of course the Sun is directly overhead in Arizona which doesn't help.
    Love watching your parade of animals that you watch daily. Soon you'll have to increase the size of your drinking pond.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just found that with tp yesterday..most of the rolls were the same and then the last, was much smaller..weird! Love your animals drinking! Sunsets are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is what I don't understand...around noon each day it hit upper 80's, time to turn the AC on so we don't fall behind and never reach maximum cooling. Around nine or ten it is cool enough to open windows with temps around 78-80. But the morning temps of upper 80's feels cooler than the night temps of 78-80, so much so that you almost want to turn the AC on again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many critters and you found Chippy's cousin. That was a fun day. Beautiful sunset....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for providing water to our little friends. We have chipmunks here but no cousins. My daughter and family flew to Florida yesterday. They're on our quarantine list for awhile:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great water hole in the desert you have. Like a mini-African safari. I am very glad to hear you are having rabbits. Have been reading about a disease problem among them that has spread even to the southwest....they are great proliferators and can be pests for some, but in the southwest, they're needed. Not to mention cute. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete