Friday, July 3, 2020

No Skunks At DMV

Yes the stinky skunks are still here.  I did lots of damage control yesterday, but it will have to wait.  I'm excited to tell you about my DMV experience.

First off, I have not had to go in to the actual office to renew my driver's license in 35 years.  It's always renewed by mail.  With this new deal about getting a REAL license if you want to fly or buy ammunition, you have to PROVE you are a citizens.  Otherwise, you can walk in the door any time with no proof of anything other than you are breathing, and get a California Driver's License.

The reasoning behind that escapes me.  You get a license so you can drive and not get so many tickets for NOT having a license?

Anyway, I made my appointment three months in advance at an out of town office.  The DMV here is the worst in the nation.  They have the most obnoxious, unfriendly rude people in the country working at this location.  Probably says something about this location.
A month after my license expired, I received a text message (WOW they have gone high tech) that I now had a new appointment.  In order to GET this appointment, I had to go online, fill out several forms and print out my NUMBER.  Very important that NUMBER.

I was early, so I checked in to Burger King (my least favorite) and discovered you can get EIGHT reconstituted chicken-like-product nuggets for $1.00.  You can't beat that!  The soda was $3.50.  All pretty tasteless, but at least it kept my nerves at bay.  Why?  Because when I filled out all that paperwork online, it said I would have to take all the tests in order to get my license.
In case you were not aware, you can go online, look up California DMV driving tests and practice literally a hundred different ones.  I've been doing that for about two hours a day for two weeks.  I'm passing this sucker FOR SURE!!

Just for kicks, I took the motorcycle test because I have an M1 classification too.  I failed miserably.  

After a lovely drive, I met the nice man at the door who asked for my documentation.  Keep in mind I took everything but the kitchen sink with me, about twelve documents.  The number was all important, meaning my application was already filled out.  He asked for my passport, my social security card (which I amazingly found in the safe) and only two documents proving my address.  He asked me to wait outside while he went in.

In two minutes he called my number and I walked right up to the window he opened just for me.  WHAT?  I'm definitely not used to that!!  He copied my paperwork, took my thumbprint and did a lot of typing.  Do you want the motorcycle classification?  SURE I said ... might as well, thinking I would probably fail the test, but okay.

Picture time ... without mask.  By the way, I did have to wear a mask, but I kept my finger in the bottom to keep it away from my mouth so I could breathe.  One more thumbprint and I signed my name.

I got nervous as I knew the tests were imminent.  Back at his window, his next words put fear in my heart!  WHAT THE HECK DID YOU DO???  Wait, what?  Nothing that I know of!!  He said my license was flagged to take every test under the sun.  My shoulders slumped.  

BUT ..... he continued ..... I'm the Manager here and I can bypass that requirement with ease.  Are you kidding me?  No he says, I don't know why they did this, but I'm dropping this requirement.  Your license will be good for FIVE years.  
I of course thanked him profusely for waiving that requirement and told him this was the best experience I've had at DMV in my 70+ years.  What a NICE guy!!  I was out the door in under 20 minutes.  I drove home with a big smile on my face and love in my heart for actually meeting a really nice person!!  No he wasn't single, I checked.

So there you have it.  My license will come in the mail, assuming the post office doesn't lose it like most of my other mail.  It should be here by the time I return from Arizona.

Next up ... the REST of the skunk story.  Oh, you thought it was over?  Not a chance.  IT'S WAR!!!!!






16 comments:

  1. Well Miss Judy Doe... you get out of that pretty good. now your legal to put your butt on the airplane, but something tells us you're not going anywhere😷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not right now, but the planes they are a flying, just loaded down with hand sanitizer.

      Delete
  2. Try mothballs and ammonia soaked cotton balls. My Grama did that and the skunks left town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to the store today for those moth balls. Sounds like they should work just fine. Thank you Kathy!!

      Delete
  3. Wait, you didn't have to take the eye test?? My TX driver's license isn't expired but to get the "Real ID" with the embedded chip for air travel I have to go back in for the newfangled one by October (although I heard from an admittedly unreliable source that the deadline has been extended because of COVID).I'm hoping the Real ID requirements are nationwide. So if you didn't need to re-take the eye exam, I may just be in the clear! [I'll have to finally get glasses if I flunk the eye test - I barely passed it the last time! - & I'm so not looking forward to the humiliation.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forgot to mention the eye test ... I'll fill you in!!

      Delete
  4. Sure am glad to hear DMV was so easy! Glad you didn't have to take any of those tests! We need to get ours sometime in the near future. Our town isn't taking appointments, you have to go stand in the heat for who knows how long..no thank you! Maybe one day it'll get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one time appointments really work out. In fact, I think EVERYONE should make an appointment!!!

      Delete
  5. WOW, first California visit to the DMV that went good that I have ever heard of! But wait, they have to MAIL your license? When I renewed mine in Florida back in 2018, they printed it right off...and when I got my first Florida license in 2012, they just printed it right off. Well, fingers crossed that USPO (which just this past Sunday delivered an Amazon package to the wrong house on this little court Arny/Sandy live on and the next evening a lady walks down the court with my packages and delivers them to my sister...no wonder Amazon says to wait 48 hours before processing a claim.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least the lady returned yours. My neighbor KEPT my package!! Yes, they have to mail it, and I doubt seriously that it will end up in my hands! LOL

      Delete
  6. Wow. Your DMV visit went a lot better than mine. I was there for hours. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that was painless. What a nice surprise not to have to take any tests. I am still trying to get over the fact that in South Dakota I was done with all the paper work and was asking if they would be mailing it to the address on the license or could I have it mailed to a post office box he said neither and handed me my license. I told him maybe they could share with other states, mainly Michigan sounds like California would be another state to help, just how nicely and quickly they do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow .... nice to get it in person. I don't remember California EVER giving me my license, I always had to get it in the mail.

      Delete
  8. Great you had the best ever experience at the DMV. Happy 4th of July Nancy, have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill!!! It will be a good day if the skunks don't come back!

      Delete