Friday, February 7, 2020

Too Cold To Play!

With daytime temperatures still in the low 40's, playing outside didn't seem like so much fun.  The alternative was MUCH worse however, staying INSIDE and cleaning.  My original plan to contact the RV Cover Construction Company, failed miserably.  The only phone number on the internet is a personal cell phone which answers with a recorded message.  I waited all day for a return call that never came.

While waiting, what could be MORE fun than cleaning the kitchen floor.  Between my cooking skills and the puppies eight little mud carrying paws, it was WAY past time.  

Here you have my review of the Sharp Steam Pocket Mop, recently purchased on Amazon for $59.  I actually had one of these in my previous life.  One day as I was cleaning the bathroom floor, it exploded, scaring me half to death.  It traveled by air mail, straight to the trash can.

Desperately seeking something better than a wet Swiffer, I found this online with lots of good reviews.  One of the perks of living in Tucson in the vicinity of the new Amazon Distribution Point, is things like this are delivered to your door the very next day.

You fill the little container with distilled water, plug it in and voila!!  You have steam.  They even give you TWO little cleaning pads that attach with velcro.  The heat up time was very quick and I was mopping the floor in no time.  

Obviously not at all my favorite thing to do, but it worked surprisingly well.  You can flip the mop part over and use the other side too.  When done, take it off and throw it in the washing machine.  It's very lightweight, meaning it will travel to my motorhome easily for cleaning the tile floors there.

All in all, this is a winner if it doesn't go bang any time soon.  Truthfully, I think I used regular hard water in the other one, which clogged up the steam vent causing the explosion when I kept mopping.  I should have known better!!
With clean floors which make me feel surprisingly good every time I enter the kitchen area, I went to work on this charity quilt.  Although it looks like snow, those panels are actually fly fishing scenes.  The fabric came from a quilter who had passed away.  That's what will happen to MY stash.  At any rate, this is a quick and easy pattern that I love.  The squares are just small scraps I had laying around.  How cool to finally use them up!
With that done, I'm on to another quilt, but not before taking an afternoon break on the patio.  No that's not wine, but anything from a wine glass makes you feel special.  The weather guessers say it's going to be up to the 70's until next Tuesday when they expect that four letter word, SNOW.  Weather extremes seem to be normal here.
Since I'm having no luck with the RV cover, today I'll try to make an appointment for my rig to get it's legs checked out.  It seems to be listing to one side every time I park and put the jacks down.  Then there's the tile guy I'm looking for, a handyman to crawl under the house for the dryer vent and a plumber to put a tray under the hot water heater in case it leaks.  

Oh the joys of homeownership.  To be honest, it probably would be easier to find these people if I wasn't so cheap, thinking I could do it myself for less money.  Actually, the cheapness comes from living on the ranch where we had to use what we had.  That and my mother going so far as to wash and save every piece of aluminum foil she ever touched, a product of the depression.  So now you know where I get it from!





12 comments:

  1. We have one of those steam mops at home and it does work reasonably well. I need one soon for floor in the White Lion. Think of all the millions of feet that went through him on the sales lot. Funny about saving the aluminum foil. I do that too.:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Doug, we do have a lot in common, but I do not save foil!! I definitely think you need a steam mop for the White Lion. Just think what was ON those feet!

      Delete
  2. Hard water clogs up most plumbing so just think what it did to that steamer.
    Both my parents were products of the depression and they instilled those habits into their kids. It's taken Kathy a long time to break me of that habit even though I still Reuse, Repurpose and Recycle.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the Winter Weather.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the ranch, we reused everything because we couldn't afford to buy new. Nowadays since being an RV'er I'm more careful about water and sewer! Too funny!!

      Delete
  3. My mom also saved aluminum foil among every thing else you could save! Depression era never left her. Love your steam mop! I will have to look into that! What's up with your Arizona weather?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup ... and every plastic dish that came with the TV dinners! LOL I don't know about the weather ... it certainly is weird this year.

      Delete
  4. Have that mop for 2 years,love it.So does my cleaning lady.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! It's so much easier to mop ... and it dries in a flash.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the info on the steam cleaner. I love the view from the backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a day behind so I have to say pretty pottery for your yard and those Javelinas are cute. We have been to Tubac a couple of times I really enjoyed going for the Luminaria Nights in December a few years ago.

    What a pretty Charity Quilt, of course, I would have to say all the quilts you post are beautiful.

    I too was brought up by parents that re-used and/or re-purposed whatever they could. I remember washing and drying many plastic bags growing up...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes ... the dreaded plastic bags you had to hang on a big wooden spoon to dry.

      Delete