Friday, November 23, 2018

Gunshots And Turkey Day!!

A couple days ago, I was sitting in front of the fire enjoying the company of my puppies, when .........

Suddenly there was a CRACK!!  I instantly knew it was a gunshot.  You might remember a couple years ago when a man was shot about 25 feet from my bedroom window.  I actually live in a very nice neighborhood.  This isn't drug city like across town, so I was pretty shocked to hear it.

I raced to the other side of the house, grabbed my gun and snuck out the back door, being quiet as a mouse.  I saw some vehicle lights in the neighbor's yard and heard some voices, but couldn't make out what they were saying.  The goats that live there were bawling.  WHAT?  Someone is shooting the neighbor's goats??

Another shot rang out in the pitch black night.  I ducked behind my barbecue and waited.  If anyone came in my back yard, they were a goner!!!  When I heard the THIRD shot, I grabbed my phone to call 911, my heart beating in my throat.

As I dialed, I was finally was able to understand the voices.  Apparently they were butchering three goats as payment for something.  The killers are allowed to use guns to dispatch them.  How sad is that?  Nice that they let their neighbors know.  I went back in the house, thankful that there was no random shooting going on.  I like excitement, but I can do without THAT variety!

I like the kind that involves cooking.  You never know what's going to come out of my kitchen!!  With the turkey stashed in the oven, the one from Bingo (Target variety ... cheap cheap), I relaxed with a glass of White Zinfandel.  My rare occasion of a glass of wine is becoming more prevalent.
I checked on the bird only to see indications it was done an hour early.  NOOOOOOO ...... I quickly threw together the cheesy corn casserole and covered it with crunchy onions.  This takes an hour to bake, so I turned the turkey down a tad.
One of the things I really CAN make, are mashed potatoes.  No surprises there!!  I finally removed the turkey and made gravy.  There are no turkey pictures because it looked terrible.  The worst I've ever cooked.  I'm telling everyone it's Tar-Ges fault!  (That's French for Target).
At long last, it all came together.  That terrible looking turkey was juicy and done to perfection.  I guess looks aren't everything.  The corn casserole (simply cornbread mix, canned corn, creamed corn and an egg) was delicious.  It tasted so much like fresh corn, I couldn't believe it.  It made me think of early Indian Thanksgivings.

Surprised at my beautiful table setting?  Don't be.  The pretty napkin was just for the picture.
I actually sat at the table, and enjoyed every bite.  Then it was cleanup time.  Ugh ... I hate that part.  I think it took longer to clean up than to bake the casserole.  I did my impression of a bump on a log for the next two hours, before trying the pie.

I peeled off the burned pecans, cut a slice and smothered it in whipped cream.  Someone said brûlée is popular in France.  That's code for mostly burned.  They must be crazy, because all I could taste was "terrible".  I might be able to get away with eating the very center.  The rest is going in the cemetery.
Today is my second celebration with friends and their family, where I am to provide what else ..... pies!!  This time I'll use my regular oven and hope for a duplicate of that wonderful apple pie I created last week.  Oh ..... and a pumpkin pie.  SHOULD be easy peasy!!!




9 comments:

  1. Really does not matter what the turkey looks like as long as it is done to perfection. I cook mine upside down so does not look pretty at all. Sure sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving meal though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But .. but .. I want it to be pretty like that barbecued chicken you do!!

      Delete
    2. I have BBQ'd a Turkey as well, but you don't get the gravy.

      Delete
  2. What a funny story about the gunshots! haha Bill and I are chuckling here (sorry, I know you were freaking out) about you hunched behind the barbecue with your gun. Why does "Annie get your gun!" come to mind. :)
    Your dinner looks and sounds wonderful. Too bad about the brulee pie. The corn casserole recipe is one I think you should share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was funny after the fact! Darn neighbors!! I'll post the recipe soon!!

      Delete
  3. Decided to slow cook our turkey....400 degrees for one hour, then 200 degrees until it is done. But when the breast reached 165, the thigh was not ready. 45 minutes later at 325 degrees and it was all done, and it was moist. Next time I am going to have to add 2 hours to my cooking time at the 200 degree temp. Oh, we also each had a small Baked Potato...first one in over 2 years....YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I bet that potato tasted WONDERFUL!!! Interesting ... slow cooking. I may have to try that!! It's actually just like smoking a turkey. I do those at 220 degrees for something like ten hours.

      Delete
  4. When it comes to cooking, as you said Looks aren't everything.
    When baking, if something on the outside burns the taste goes through the entire thing.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your second Thanksgiving.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right Rick!! I never knew that before. The inside of the pie tasted just as bad as the burned crust!!

      Delete