Sunday, January 28, 2018

A Short Walkabout ...

It was a beautiful day yesterday and actually got up into the 70's.  I took my camera for a short walkabout around the property to get pictures of my humble abode.  You really can't see it from the street, as I'm tucked back in the bushes on the side of a hill.

That's FedEx's excuse for delivering my computer to another house last year.  This time I made a HUGE sign and posted it by my driveway.  They found me.  Anyway, I scrambled up the slippery slope and made my way through the cactus for this image.

You can barely make out the door outline that houses the hot water heater.  As you can also see, I chopped those bushes back to allow access.  Chopping, versus pruning, is my preferred method.
These are the sort of spines I'm dealing with.  Crazy three inch long knives that will penetrate denim and flesh faster than greased lightning!  It's a good thing I wear tall cowboy boots around here!  Gorgeous color though ... right?
Way off in the distance there are some rooftops visible, but nothing within a mile or so.  This lovely palm tree may not be long for this world.  Those dead pieces hanging down?  They are like pieces of steel to my breadknife.  It makes for a nice desert rat and scorpion condo, not the kind of neighbors I would like to attract.

Even with my biggest pair of sharp shears, I couldn't remove even one piece as I stood atop my ladder.  Time to call the local gardening guru and remove it.  Otherwise, I'll be dealing with it every single year.  Besides, it blocks the view of a magnificent tree just to the left.
What about my chainsaw on a stick, you ask?  Though I tried and tried, there was no way I could fit it in the motorhome without removing it every time I opened the bay doors.  All that Sharps and rally stuff took up too much room ... a small price to pay for friendship.  I'll bring it next time.

Here's the back side view from down the hill a ways.  The patio is huge and runs almost the entire length of the house, though only partially covered.  Unfortunately, they have planted about six oleanders on the perimeter.  I just chopped one almost to the ground because it's two inch branches were rubbing on the roof when Gale came to visit.

Oleanders are extremely poisonous to kids and pets.  Eating just one leaf could kill either.  I'm pretty sure my dogs won't be partaking, but one less bush will be one less to worry about.  Being way too close to the house, I'm pretty sure it will disappear soon.
One of my favorite pastimes is sitting on the patio and enjoying the morning sun turn the desert beautiful yellow-green.
Okay .... enough procrastination ... it's time to trim that huge tree between the garage and the motorhome.  Unlike most every home here, I have a completely enclosed two car garage that keeps the rats out of my Jeep.  Every time I drive in and shut the door, I'm thankful for my garage.  I know, I'm weird!
Speaking of that big tree ... and it is HUGE (it's actually down an embankment about three feet and it's STILL taller than the motorhome) ... there are several branches that need to be trimmed as they TOO are rubbing on the roof of the house.  That's my project for the day, in spite of Gale having returned with 20 mph winds.  Wish me luck!!






12 comments:

  1. I think it's time to call in a professional. Don't get on a ladder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right Jan, and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

      Delete
  2. If you cut the old palm tree down leave about two or 3 feet above ground
    With the chainsaw (the gardener guy) he can cut the center out in the shape of a funnel
    About six or 8 inches deep
    Find some paraffin wax like you use in canning products. melt the wax.
    Poor it around the inside of the funnel. that will act as a sealer.it'll make a great birdbath
    If you cut it flat across, A flat pie plate type pottery (or yard sale / salvage )would make a nice bird bath or planter as well
    Maybe even the big Indian sculpture you could call it ,,,art in the yard,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A perfect solution. I need a birdbath and there is already water right there!!

      Delete
  3. You have a beautiful spot and a beautiful home, Nancy. I agree, some trees/bushes need chopping not just pruning. I would keep the oleander (personally) because Clemson doesn't eat grass or leaves. Lucky you with the closed in garage. Good luck with trimming that bush/tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids eat grass, but not leaves, so I think I'm okay. Gosh .. I even read that just getting the sap on you from trimming can be a problem.

      Delete
  4. You do have a lovely property there the 2 car garage a bonus would make an excellent workshop !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ... I do love the garage. It would make a very nice shop for some gentleman.

      Delete
  5. Patsy will tell you that anytime I said I was going to cut or trim, she was worried what would be left. The palms of a palm tree are hard to cut, I used a hand saw on one at my Dad's place in Florida. I like the idea of the chainsaw pole. Would not want to cut it down though, good luck with which ever way you decide to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Bill. My trim job ended up with a three foot stump on the oleander!

      Delete
  6. They cut the Palms back every year at the Condo...large truck with a lift and about four or five guys. They cut them way back, and every year they need it again.

    Have you seen any snakes yet, and will your boots protect you from a Rattler??? I don't mind snakes, but do fear Rattlers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No snakes Dave ... it's actually too cold this time of year. I have been told there can be quite a few, but haven't seen hide nor hair of any ... thank goodness.

      Delete