Tuesday, January 30, 2018

A Different Kind Of Beauty

When you look out across the desert near my house, the first thought is UGH ... as in ugly.  This isn't very pretty at all.  Everything is brown and drab looking.  If you take your time however, and look past the mostly colorless vegetation, you will find some gems that will make you smile.

At least that's how it is for me.  This is just plain old cactus until you look closely at the brightly colored reddish brown spines.  These babies produce the best deterrent to critters there is, in an effort to stay alive and flourish.  Can you imagine walking across the desert behind the wagon in your long dress and sun hat trying to keep from getting snagged?
It's the time of year when cactus begins to produce flowers and fruit, like the yellow piece hanging from this one.  There are so many varieties of cactus I can't count them all.  I think this may be a relative to the cholla, the one that jumps out and impales you as you walk by.  Never EVER try to touch any of these babies without gloves.  
Why you might ask (beyond the obvious)?  Because you'll be trying to remove the tiniest tiny pieces of spine from your fingertips, like I've been doing for the past week.  

Even the wild grass is pretty as it blows in the breeze.  You can sure tell the difference between the blue light of shade and the yellow setting sun.
I'm always looking for critters.  Although I've found my share, I've never seen what makes these trails and tunnels across the desert floor.  I imagine it's my nemesis the pack rat and maybe squirrels.    
Much larger, this one appears to be "bunny" related.  Most of the holes are at the base of cactus plants, making for a natural defense against coyotes who roam at night.  Although I've heard them a night or two, I haven't seen any yet.  
Look VERY closely and you'll see some beauties like this.  A very nondescript cactus with beautiful tiny red berries up and down the limbs.  
I took this image as a warning to aspiring photographers everywhere.  WATCH YOUR BACK!  When you kneel down to get that perfect cholla cactus picture with the sun directly behind it, watch where your butt is going.  Mine sat right down on these spines, which just happen to be like steel knives.  OUCH!!!!   
There's lots of prickly pear cactus, the one you see in people's yards full of round fruit at the tips of the pads.  It's supposed to be very healthy for you.  I tried some juice once ... and only once.  I instantly felt a lump in my throat which lasted for three days until I finally took a benadryl.  It appears I'm allergic.  There won't be any prickly pear jelly in my kitchen after all!!

As the sun set, the sky turned red and orange, but not like the spectacular sunsets you see in Quartzsite where the clouds get stuck on the mountain tops.  
Still, it was a beautiful sunset as I watched the last bit fall below the horizon and I'm happy to say my butt survived the swords.  
I also got a nice surprise when I checked my bank account.  Medicare has been nicking me terribly from the sale of the old ranch house.  My $135 health care bill went up to a whopping $450 a month last year, taking a really big bite out of my household budget.  That's $5,400 for ONE year.  Rather maddening when I think I went to the doctor once and my entire year's bill came to $250.

They basically said all of the sale amount was income, although I never saw even half of that, so they surcharged me for the last two years.  Finally that has dropped off and my charge is down to $165 a month.   Wait ... what happened to $135?  At any rate, it was a nice raise in my salary.  I can again afford food!!  YAY!!!







14 comments:

  1. Love all the wonderful cactus around the desert, they can be painful though, and soon the desert flowers will begin again.
    I think last year was a record year with all the winter rains we had.
    Now affording food is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the flowers. Hopefully I'll still be here and can get some photographs.

      Delete
  2. Your pictures are beautiful, Nancy. Thank you for sharing. I can't pick a favourite!
    I don't understand the medicare thing but just glad that it has settled out for you. As George said, food is necessary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patsy!! May we take many more pictures.

      Delete
  3. What great pictures of the desert's beauty especially the second to the last one. Thank you for the hint about watching behind when getting down to take a picture...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely watch your back, Deb. Always good to watch for long snaky looking critters too!!

      Delete
  4. I can ONLY HOPE my medicare in less than 3 years will be under $200...I pay about $220 now for my half of the insurance (Library pays the other half as part of my retirement...until I reach Medicare age that is...)

    LOVE these pictures....you do justice to what others see as BROWN, more BROWN and JUST BROWN...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just crazy? Yea .... wait until you reach 65!!! It's a hard choice between the BROWN desert and the BLUE ocean!!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful Pictures. You have to have a Photographers Eye to see the beauty in things and sometimes how to compose the shot. Some people just figure it's just a picture but not if you take time to enjoy what you are doing.
    Might be worth investing in a Suit of Armour to survive your Photo Shoots in your yard.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the thrill of the hunt Rick ... actually finding something pretty in the desert to take a picture OF!!

      Delete
  6. Stopped by and I really enjoyed your visit in the desert. I've always liked brown so the desert suits me perfectly.

    Glad that Medicare hike is behind you. That is a lot on a fixed income to absorb. Don't spend all that new money in one place now.😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doug ... check out the super moon pics I'll post tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. On the first one You paid $32 more than you should
    On the second one you're being overcharged $32
    I think you need a better bona fide tax accountant
    you need one that will keep you out of the green but,,operate in the black
    It sounds like green and red are your favorite $$$ colors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ... pretty screwy, right?? Hopefully this year I'll be in the black!!!

      Delete