Saturday, December 18, 2021

Wreaths Across America

Sometimes you lose, and sometimes you REALLY lose.  All I need is more stress to complicate my days before driving off into the wild blue yonder.  I called in a prescription two weeks ago.  They told me to pick it up Monday, but I was late.  Today it suddenly disappeared and they refused to fill it without a Doctor's note.  Kind of like when you missed a day at school and had to bring a note to the teacher!!

The Doctor said they called it in, putting it back on the pharmacy.  This went on for eight hours today until finally I got 30 pills.  It's okay though, all I needed was twenty to get me to Mexico where I'll buy it over the counter.  You know the place!!

Add to that the 5 feet of back fence that fell down yesterday.  Please .... nothing else ..... PLEASE!!

Well, no one listened because when I went to gather my mail from the Post Office, you know, the important stuff like bank statements, I discovered my box had been broken in to and the contents gone.  I could hear people in the back, so I knocked on the door.  No one answered.

At last, I took my cue from the homeless guy and kicked the door as hard as I could.  Well for heavens sake ... someone opened the little hatch.  I explained the problem.  At last, a Supervisor came out ... very nice guy ... and explained that it happened two weeks ago.  Apparently they didn't notify anyone.

When it happened the second time last week, they decided to lock the place up at night.  No kidding Sherlock!!  What little mail I had was in a cardboard box in back.  They would hold it for me for ten days. 

BUT  BUT ..... I'm going to be preoccupied.  He had me fill out a hold notice for the entire time and stamped it APPROVED.  No idea of when the mailbox will be repaired.  So now the big FIX begins.  I have to contact every bank ... in person ... and have the account numbers changed.  BIG SIGH!

Truly I have no time for this since this morning is Wreaths Across America Day.  About 20 volunteers from the Elks Lodge will be placing wreaths on our Veteran Member's headstones at cemeteries all over the County.  


 It's going to be wet and very cold, but at least the promised donuts will help.  We have about 250 to lay.  They are all made of real pine (?) boughs from somewhere up North, like Vermont.  


Once that is done, if I'm really lucky, I'm going to talk two of the guys into helping me with the fence.  I'm going to use my very best Blond-Sad-Little-Girl Face.   Then I'll be off to every banking institution in our little town except one.  Sometimes it does NOT pay to be diversified.

I'm OFF!  Not off crazy, just off to the cemetery!!  Cheers!!


10 comments:

  1. Thank you for your service with the wreaths. That banking fiasco is very unfortunate and especially as you are so close to leaving. It'll get better soon 😊 I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a great group of volunteers that do this every year. I love that I'm part of it.

      Delete
  2. That is no fun at all! Most likely they were looking for Christmas Cash...hope they found coal instead. Now I am going out on a limb here...the one bank you don't use is probably BofA (I hate them with a passion even though dad worked for them many decades ago before he got on with the Army Depot). Nice thing you all do laying those wreaths. As for the rain...looks like Folsom Lake will fill up this winter/spring unless California pulls one of its famous 'turn off the rain' right in the midst of winter routine. Looks like some of the Sierras have over 100 inches of snow pack right now, not bad for December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankful for the rain, but I have a nice lake out back!! Since they hit all the business boxes, I imagine they were looking for checks. Sorry, none in my box, just account numbers.

      Delete
  3. Too bad about the break in. We have everything online so can't imagine dealing with new accounts. Good luck.
    What a lovely thing you Elks do with the wreaths. It looks beautiful too.❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of things online, but I still get bank statements and a couple of bills in the box. I guess I'll have to join the no paper generation.

      Delete
  4. The post office doesn't notify you when your box is broken into and mail is stolen???? Wow....Elva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it either. Their notice was a letter they put in your cardboard box in the back for when you next picked up your mail. Face it ... the post office sucks!!

      Delete
  5. Wow, how nice of them to put what they had of your mail in a box in the back. Of course, knowing right away just in case your banking information was stolen would have been a nice gesture, also. Then they would be nice enough to hold it for ten days in the box seriously so helpful and caring...there may be sarcasm in this comment.
    The Wreaths Across America is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny ... I had the same sarcastic thoughts!! I've got my fingers crossed they were just after checks since it seems they hit only the business boxes.

      Delete