Saturday, December 4, 2021

RV Questions

 First off, let me just say it's a good thing I burned that Ritz-Cracker Candy.  I did try to save the middle part that didn't look too bad, which of course meant I had to eat it.  Whoa Nelly!!!!  It had the perfect crunch with the caramel having dropped to the bottom, then the crackers covered in chocolate.  I went back FOUR times to get another piece the first day.  That stuff is addicting!!!!

I'd show you a picture, but by the second day it had all magically disappeared.  I may just have to try that again.  I found the problem, the first recipe said to cook it 13 minutes.  The second one I found said FIVE. I'm going with five next time.

Being in the Central Valley, we were socked in with fog half of the day.  It's nothing like it used to be in the old days, but few people are still alive to remember just how bad it was.  Nowadays, no one really knows how to drive in fog, so rather than get in an accident, I stay home.


That means some time is spent looking at the recent accomplishments of fellow RV'ers.  Here's the first MUST HAVE!  This is the exact same rig I have.  The top right image shows an electric fireplace stuffed into the space where two drawers used to be.  It fits perfectly with no modifications other than drilling one hole for the cord.  


It runs around $220 from Amazon.  What say ye?  It sounds like a great heat alternative at night over the roaring of the on-board heater/ac system.  I even think I could install it.  I have two questions.  Does it get too hot for the surrounding cabinet wood and do you think it will last going down those rough highways.  It will be located forward of the axle if that makes any difference.  I WANT ONE!!!


Next up .... a water powered macerator.  Here at my house it's a very long run to a septic cleanout lid.  I've actually only had to dump there twice in ten years, which requires at least three long lengths of sewer hose.  I'm wondering if this actually works.  

It runs $76 from Amazon and one guy said he runs it downhill 200 feet to his septic tank.  At least he's going downhill ... I'm going straight across.  Anyone have any experience with this one?  

My project of the day was to put something in the bottom of my new toolbox to keep things from sliding back and forth.  I happened to have some old carpet which worked perfectly.  I was even so proud that I cut it the exact right size.  

What I WASN'T excited about was when I lifted up that heavy generator to the tailgate and finally got it settled inside.  You cannot imagine my disappointment when the lid would not shut.  It's 1" too tall.  You could almost hear my consternation in Arizona.  RATS!!!!  All this work and expense for nothing.  I just figured the box was tall enough.  

Another box is not an option because it has to be level with the side rails for the rig not to hit them.  My alternative is to chain it in the back where it has a good chance of getting stolen, or carry it in the front of the trailer, taking everything else out to minimize the weight.  I guess I'll just have to fill up the toolbox with whatever I can from the front of the trailer.  Sigh .............


In the meantime, I have visitors in Vail Arizona.  Doug and Nick decided to camp out at my place for a couple of days, awaiting parts for his RV.  It's a win-win situation.  Although he's not using my electricity, which he is welcome to use for free, he is chasing the snakes away (just by being there) for my arrival later in the month.  Although there is plenty of room at the fairgrounds, free parking away from the maddening crowd is always preferable.  I'm so happy I could help them out.


Big things happening here this morning, so I'm on the run early.  I'll post about that tomorrow!!  It's going to get crazy here for the next two weeks.

One last note ... check out the TV show called Great Escapes by Morgan Freeman.  It's fascinating!!


18 comments:

  1. Nancy, we have a fireplace in our trailer that we use to help keep the trailer warm. they work well but it all depends on how cold it gets and how big a space you are trying to heat. It will work fine in the space you have indicated and will not over heat the cabinets. After all the travelling we have done, this year I had to replace a part in it that failed, who knows if it was from the rough roads or that part failed on it's own.
    As for the macerator, that one looks like it needs water to run, will you have enough pressure to operate it. We have one from Camping World that runs on 12 volt from our trailer batteries, it will pump 50 feet with a 5/8 inch hose. So I am skeptical about that one you are looking at.
    Sorry to hear about your box, when we get together in Quartzsite, maybe we can figure something out that works better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill ... exactly what I wanted to know. I'm guessing my sewer dump is only about 30 feet, so that one should work. At home here I think I have enough water pressure ...

      Delete
  2. I love our fireplace! When you don't need the full heat from the furnace, it is just enough to take and dampness and chill out.
    I think you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! I'm a fireplace person also, even if it isn't real ... except I may only be able to use it when plugged in.

      Delete
  3. It seems like Bills been there and done that answers 👍 If you buy from the turbo factory they’re $174 for the 23 inch model shipping cost unknown
    They don’t put out enough heat to heat the sides of your other cabinets I’m guessing the heat blows out from the bottom on the floor
    Are you trying to be aesthetically pleasing or are you just trying to warm the trailer up. .. a 35 / 45 $ ceramic Walmart heater would do just as good The heater could go in one drawer still leaves you the second drawer ( same results no modification)

    Keep in mind if you buy the jet flow macerator it only comes with a 10 foot 3/4 hose so for
    $41 for a 10 foot section how many sections what you need and then you have to have the fittings $ to connect those sections
    And I love the part where they use a WHITE RV hose to get their flow
    I think I’ll be using a black hose so that leaves you another hose to store

    Take the rug out where the generator sits … on the very bottom of the generator are there 4 rubber feet — Take the 4 rubbers off
    Unless you need the storage take the storage box back an get a bicycle cable lock and lock generator to your fifth wheel Hitch
    Rugs in a toolbox are a bad idea if they get wet or damp they hold it in (Think of a wet cat)
    I would use truck mudflaps instead of a rug Make sure you don’t cover the drain holes on your toolbox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you predator generator there are 4 three-quarter inch rubber foot
      You can try taking those off
      But I do have a question the toolbox usually sits about 3 inches above the lip of the truck bed . will you be able to make a turn Sharp right sharp left and not hit the toolbox ???

      Delete
    2. See? So much to figure out. I'll check on that other heater. As for the feet on the generator, I did look at those. If I take them off it just might fit. But then will I need to set it up on bricks or something to allow air underneath when it's running? Carpet is temporary .. I'm looking for a rubber mat. Thanks for the info!!

      Delete
  4. I don't think the fog will burn off at all today. You are correct. I'm old enough to remember having foggy days....all day....for a couple of weeks straight. I'm sure the locals enjoy eating at the Elks instead of driving 40 minutes in the fog. Elva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Elva!! Back in the day, we never saw the sun for quite some time!! The best thing about the Elks dinners is they are not restaurant priced because we aren't running a real restaurant. It's for the members!!

      Delete
  5. We have a fireplace in our Tiffin and use it a lot. We leave it on at night, turn the temperature down, and turn off the display. The noisy heat pump still comes on, but only when needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Carol. When that heat pump runs, it's like a jet engine!! I can use the fireplace when I'm plugged in ... I would just like it for the ambience, but if it would heat too, so much the better! LOL

      Delete
  6. I really liked having the fireplace in the 5th wheel a lot of times in the morning it gave us just enough heat to get rid of that morning chill or dampness and the one we had threw enough heat to even feel it up in the bedroom. Or on a cool rainy day I felt it made things feel cozy and drier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well for gosh sakes ... I don't remember even SEEING a fireplace in your rig. That's what I was looking for ... cozy with a little heat on the side.

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of a fireplace! The rest I know nothing lol. I love that Doug and Nick are relaxing and enjoying at your other home! Very sweet of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fireplace idea too, but the fifth wheel I got didn't come with one. I'm thinking this one will be perfect. Anyone traveling that way is welcome to stay.

      Delete
  8. Heater: Use use a DeLonghi oil filled radiator style heater. (https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-TRH0715-Oil-Filled-Radiator/dp/B000FT1XZW) On "HIGH" it warms our entire motorhome when it is down to 40 degrees outside. It has two on buttons...both on it is high, one on it is medium, the other one on it is low. So when we wake up, we flip the low switch to off (which means we are on medium) and then we can also run our coffee maker. It weighs 23 lbs, easy to store next to bed or on top of the bed during travel, and no worry at all about burning anything up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely looking that one up. I've never heard of it before. The main thing is to keep Jonathan warm and not have a jet engine running all night long. Thanks Dave!!

      Delete
  9. The fireplace idea looks nice and as Bill says it will not be a problem. I use a Big Buddy attached to my RV propane tank that works well. For your trailer though I think the fireplace would be a great addition. I really do appreciate you letting us stay at your beautiful place. Yuma loves to run around in the ravine. No snakes so far.🙂

    ReplyDelete