Sunday, December 12, 2021

Killer Tornados

My heart goes out to all the people in the midwest who have suffered so terribly, many losing their lives.  I've driven fairly close to the route the weather system traveled, from West Texas up to Michigan.  Even when the weather wasn't bad, it was scary to see the scars left from previous tornados.

We almost got caught on a couple of occasions, but were lucky enough to escape any damage.  With slides pulled in, wind and rain like I've never seen and the weather radio warning signal going off right and left, the pups and I were pretty scared.  

At a couple of places I asked where we should go in case of a tornado.  The answer was chilling ... "we don't have any shelter.  If it's your time to go, it's your time to go".  Luckily we survived the trip up and back.  These folks were not so lucky.


People say they wouldn't want to live here because we have earthquakes.  Maybe in San Francisco, but not where I live.  I'm happy to say there are no snakes, scorpions, earthquakes, hurricanes or tornados here in my little corner of the world.  I just cannot imagine dealing with something like this.  It certainly puts things in perspective pretty quickly.


As I counted my blessings yesterday, and there are lots of them, Cooper let me know someone was near the back door.  I don't know how he knows, but the Dog always knows.  He's never wrong, in spite of my efforts at convincing him there's no one there.

My lucky electric blanket showed up.  I'm not sure it's going to work keeping Jonathan a tad bit warmer, but I'm giving it a shot.  For $24 it's a cheap investment.  I will definitely cover his cage with something else first because the kid is really good at chewing stuff up.  This wouldn't last two hours.


Of course in order to use it in the fifth wheel, I had to purchase adaptors to plug it in to the USB connections on the counter.  Here's my first question.  I have an AC to USB connection to charge my phone in the house.  Do you think I can plug it in to that just to see if it works??  I really don't want to burn it out before I even get to use it once!!


I also picked up some more tiny batteries.  I was afraid the one I put in the key fob for my truck wouldn't last long.  It lasted one whole click and wouldn't work again.  Getting those things apart and back together again is a pain.  I took it outside to test, and once again it worked.  Hopefully not just once this time.


Sadly, my day didn't end all that well.  I spent a lot of money on M&M's, popcorn to pop and pretzels in order to make ChrisMoose Crunch.  I searched the entire store ... and in fact FOUR stores for the required white chocolate chips to bring it all together.  Someone cleaned out the entire town.  Good grief ... what in the world are they making?  I was left with chocolate chips.

I had my doubts, which turned out to be perfectly correct.  My ChrisMoose Crunch looked like a Moose dropped a big one.  Rats!!  Now I have to keep this in the freezer and eat it all by myself instead of giving it away for Christmas as I had planned.  It's just not the same as having a WHITE bite of goodness.


Happy Sunday ... I'm off to a breakfast at the Elks Lodge before scurrying around the house doing cleanup because company is coming.  Kinda short notice, but that's how the Moose Crunch rolls.  Maybe I can slip some in her purse when she leaves!!


10 comments:

  1. So devastating those tornadoes. My cousin lives in Paducah, about 15 miles from Mayfield where it hit the candle factory. She was busy making cakes yesterday afternoon as her church was taking dinners over to Mayfield. Love that in a community :) I bet your Moose Crunch is still very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ... that's too close for comfort. I don't understand why the factory was full of people if there were tornado warnings. Very sad.

      Delete
  2. Life is bad when you can't find white chocolate 😄 Nothing worse than moose dumpling when you want moose crunch.

    Hopefully, someone knows more than me on the plug question. I'm not understanding how that setup will work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Doug ... you feel my moose crunch pain!!!

      Delete
  3. I can't even imagine going through devastation like that! It's horrible! We count our blessings every day as well, and we also have many of them.
    Your moose crunch still looks fine for a snack to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually did not taste bad, just not what I was going for.

      Delete
  4. I lived in Arknasas when the tornado outbreak of November 23–24, 2001 hit. The fall tornado outbreak affected portions of the southern United States from Arkansas to Alabama, with additional tornadoes recorded in Louisiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Indiana and Georgia. It was one of the most intense November outbreaks ever across the area, and killed 13 across three states (4 in Alabama, 4 in Arkansas and 5 in Mississippi). NEVER seen anything like this one which was on the ground for some 200 miles! Unlike Earthquakes, at least you get some warning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother Nature can be devastating, that's for sure. With all the warning systems, I'm surprised so many people lost their lives, unless they just didn't have anywhere to go that was safe.

      Delete
  5. That was truly sad to read what had happened in Kentucky. All those people gone is such a tragedy. When we spent two months stuck in Mississippi because everything was shut down. We were lucky the bad storms never hit where we were. I decided then I would take snow and blizzards any day over tornados. Moose crunch still looks pretty good. Just call it chocolate crunch...😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Deb. I have no desire to ever travel that way again. My "chocolate" crunch isn't bad, it just doesn't taste the same.

      Delete