Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Where's My SLEDGE HAMMER!!

Some days I should just stay in bed, or on the couch.  Maybe permanently!  Now I know why old folks are grumpy.  We have no patience left for things beyond our control.  I really do try to remind myself just to focus on my little 100 square feet of the world and forget everything else, but it's a tall order.   

My attack plan of the day was to hit the dentist's office ... just the place everyone wants to go, right? ... after which I would park myself at the Elks Lodge to download the update for my watch.

There were signs ...........

My passcode to get in the lodge would not work.  I called the Lodge Manager who I knew was there, evidenced by his car.  He did not answer the phone.

There were MORE signs ........

 After eight tries at getting in, I finally rang the bar upstairs.  I was met with silence.  Like a burglar in the night, I snuck around to the back door and again typed in my code.  Nothing ... no click, no beep, not even a GO AWAY!!

I finally banged loudly on the kitchen door and was met by the Manager.  "Sorry for not answering your call ... I was counting alcohol".  Now that's got to be a fun job!!  I made a beeline for the lunchroom.  

I plugged everything in and began the download.  It said 23 hours.  I'm pretty sure it won't take me that long to eat that ortega chili chicken sandwich with onion rings, but I'll eat slow.  

There were even MORE signs, if that's possible, when four grown men came in and parked at a table near me.  I tried not to eavesdrop, but how could I not?  The main character, a lawyer, was asking for advice about his love life.  Now how many times have you heard men talking like that?  Isn't that women who ask for advice?

His girlfriend had broken up with him 5 months ago and now with the holidays, had sent an I Love You message.  I tried to focus on my watch.  They should have just swung around and asked ME, or any woman for that matter!   Anyway, it was a short distraction from my downloading watch that now said 4 hours remaining.

 
 
As you are probably aware, upload speeds are fast, download speeds practically nil.  If it took over an hour to do my PHONE, how in the world is it taking FOUR hours to update my watch?
 
I forced myself to sit there for three more hours, visualizing a really huge sledge hammer.   

 


 At long last, after eating every crumb on the plate and drinking four glasses of Coke, IT WAS DONE!!  Or not, because now it said PREPARING, that took 30 minutes, VERIFYING, another ten minutes and finally DOWNLOADING.  YES!!!

When it was done, I disconnected the phone and waited.  

THERE IS ANOTHER UPDATE FOR THIS WATCH.  UPDATE BEFORE PAIRING WITH YOUR PHONE.  I almost screamed out loud I was so mad.  Instead of downloading the latest 7.1 version, it downloaded the 6.38 version and now it STILL does not work!!!  WHERE'S MY SLEDGE HAMMER!!!

I ripped the cords from the wall, sloshed out after drinking all that soda and drove home, madder than any wet hen you've ever seen.  Just to prove it, when I saw this, I laughed out loud!!!
 


What really irritates me is how much money I spent on that watch that I now cannot get to work.  I called literally everyone on my phone contact list asking for internet access.  Everyone said their services were just the same as mine ...  really crappy.

So here are my alternatives.  Go sit another 5 hours at the Elks Lodge and try for another download, buy a new Apple Watch (that ain't happening!!) or buy some other watch that gives me the info I need, like day, date and time.

Apple suckers you in ... it's just so handy to get a text message and see exactly who it is from with a glance.  No digging for your phone.  You can see the sunset time, perfect for knowing when to set out your skunk traps.  You can get the weather, read emails, track your walking mileage, heart rate and a dozen other things.

Then they ZAP you with updates that take hours to download, not even being nice enough to give you the LATEST one!!  I'm sure that's so you will buy another watch!!

Time to come up with something new.  In the meantime, I'd probably welcome a skunk for a little distraction!!

 

 

 

14 comments:

  1. Because Apple Watch defaults to prioritizing Bluetooth over Wi-Fi whenever possible in order to conserve as much power as possible. While Bluetooth does require less power than Wi-Fi, the protocol is significantly slower in terms of data transfer than most Wi-Fi networking standards.
    Why don’t you find a mom and pop computer repair store and pay them to upload your watch they don’t have to do anything except start it up and then you pick it up the next day So you’re out for 24 hours for a few bucks and less hassle however you’re not the only one that complains about the I watch that’s why a lot of people don’t want them anymore you could find them on eBay cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good explanation. I will definitely check and see if there is a local computer store. If the downloading from the internet was a little faster, it might not be such a chore.

      Delete
  2. Microshaft is the same way....if you have not updated your computer, it goes through a stream of updates. I normally buy models that are a year or two old that they 'refurbish' and bring back to when it was 'out of the box'. WOW, the number of updates you have to go through is amazing. And if you think "I'll just do this over night", think again...when it is done with one update, you have to initiate the next update or it just sits there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea. It's just so irritating! Thanks Dave, that makes me feel better! LOL

      Delete
  3. Jerry had the watch and he really liked it.....at first. The love for the watch didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup .. that's my feelings exactly. Hopefully I can get it updated soon. I really miss it now, which is how they suck you in!!

      Delete
  4. That picture of the Elf on the Shelf (RIP) is a scream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that hilarious? One of my friends is doing it for her son. Hope he doesn't have too had a reaction! LOL

      Delete
  5. I'm happy just using my Laptop for communications and information. Even though our Cell Phones are Androids we use them strictly as Phones. We don't even text.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your skunks.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my problem right there. I use my phone and watch for literally everything!!

      Delete
  6. I bought a Itouch wearable fro Target, $55. Does heart rate, oxygen, walking or jogging and some other stuff. Supposed to give sleep info and notifications for messages but not message. See if this will meet your needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Tanya. I will go online and take a look. I definitely like the price!!!

      Delete
  7. I have no comment...maybe a nice bottle of wine.

    ReplyDelete