Friday, December 11, 2020

WHAT?? NO WAY!!!!

 It was an interesting morning, to say the least.  Once skunk bitten, twice shy.  In light of the fact I found not one but TWO new holes under the fence, I was sure another skunk was on the horizon.  

I have four GREAT videos, none of which would load this morning.  I don't know if it's me, Firefox or my MiFi.  I finally just took these images with my phone of the good parts.  Even THEY took 30 minutes to upload.

At any rate ... WOW I thought .... that is one BIG kitty cat!!!  Definitely not a skunk, which made me feel MUCH better.  This kitty is bigger than Orange Kitty.

I watched as he got clear down on his belly to sneak in the trap and get the food.  I waited for the trap to snap shut.  Wait, what?  He went clear inside the trap and nothing happened.  How could that be? 

AHA!!!!!  Oh my goodness!!!  NO WAY!!!  That tail gives it all away.  Are you kidding me?  I have a humongous RACCOON in my yard.  I have never seen a raccoon around here in ten years.  I watched in fascination as he went back inside the trap for a few more morsels.

Well hello there!!  He stood outside the cage and ate every single little piece.  He kept looking at the camera ... SMILE ... so he either sees the light or hears the vibration of it running. 

I guess I better find out why the trap didn't spring.  I think the skunks have it full of dirt and weeds that need to be cleaned out.  I really don't want to trap this guy anyway.  I rather imagine he would be a raging handful.  Just the cutest ever!!!

Later I inspected the fence line again and found another board barely hanging on.  I sent the neighbor a repair request, but since it never happened the first time, I rather doubt it will happen now. 

Bye bye ..... with a last parting glance, he waddled off towards the hole, not to be seen again.

I cleaned out the trap, full of roots and dirt the skunks had pulled up through the bottom.  It works now, but I clipped the door open.  I set up the camera once again just to see if he comes back.

I have to say when he backed out of the cage and stood up, he was 4 inches taller than the 10 inch cage.  I think this one is not to be tangled with.

I'm going back to check the camera this morning.  Then I will drive down to the Catholic church and download the Firefox upgrade.  Maybe that will help fix the video upload problem.  It's worth watching!!


 
 


10 comments:

  1. Maybe this guy was too big for the trap to close. Racoons have a tendency of carrying Rabies. Caution when handling.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your videos.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raccoons AND skunks around here. I'm pretty sure I can keep this guy out, but he's CUTE!!

      Delete
  2. One HUGE Rocky Raccoon! "IF" it does get trapped, I would definitely call animal control or Mr. Sheriff to come and take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He made Big Momma skunk look like a baby! LOL I really don't want to catch this guy. He's not doing any harm.

      Delete
  3. Skunks and raccoons. Can't get any better than that! Maybe it's time to leave the backyard to the critters and move to Arizona:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Doug. The critters are taking back their land!!

      Delete
  4. That raccoon is a biggie..wouldn't want to meet him outside! Great pictures though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of one or two in town, but have never seen or heard of any out here. Kind of fun to watch him.

      Delete
  5. With that cute little face I do not think it matters what type of hair/fur cut Cooper ends up with.
    That is one big raccoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooper really doesn't care, he's such a sweetie. Yup that's Big Pappa Raccoon!! He has been eating well in the neighborhood!!

      Delete