Saturday, December 19, 2020

Unstashing and Down The Dirt Road

 Ring ring ring ..... is that your fire alarm going off??   No because I still don't have one.  For the second time, they did not show up.  I called and got the we were called to a fire excuse.  Hmmm, isn't that the Fire Department's job?  

So .... no fire alarm for me.  I cancelled the whole deal until next year.  That left me time to eat all the leftovers in the fridge, including a big chunk of that lemon pound cake which gave me a terrible stomach ache.  

I unstashed everything I had stashed in cupboards and drawers and did the last load of laundry.  With nothing else going on, we are off to Costa Rica again.

Dinner was a nice salad since nothing else on the table was really recognizable, plus they wanted to charge us something like $15.00 each.  All our meals were included in the price we said, so they let us eat at the salad bar.  Woohoo!!  

Patty and I then wandered off throughout the hotel area, finding and breaking in to the greenhouse.  I'm pretty sure that was a no-no, but Patty is a plant person extraordinaire and wanted a look see.

We were warned not to go outside after dark, as the San Jose area isn't exactly safe.  Every single building had bars on the windows, so we decided they were right.  

We did have a large tour bus for our touring pleasure, but it left the day before with barely half our people to the coast at Tamarindo.  We got to go in the sardine can.  As you can see, traffic was light.


 The coastline was spectacular as we arrived at our hotel very late in the afternoon.  We had stepped up in the world of accommodations. 

Dinner on the patio was very nice, although I don't remember what we had.  Most every meal while there came with rice and black beans.  There are lots of ex-pats living here, including a couple we met that had opened a flower shop.  Everything is very laid back, including hair, clothes and amenities.

We were promised a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries since we completely missed the afternoon tour.  Alas, while everyone else got theirs, our room had none.  I asked the Desk person about that and they said too bad.  I think in the end we finally did get a couple of strawberries in some kind of messy chocolate. 

The sunset was pretty spectacular that evening.  With no visible bars on the windows, we were able to enjoy the ocean at night.


 The best part was the next morning when I headed to the shower.  They forgot to mention these rooms did NOT have hot water.  I don't think there was hot water in the entire hotel.  My star rating went from 3 down to 1.   

At last the entire group is altogether with our tour guide as we loaded on to a very nice HUGE bus they told us was brand new for this trip.  It really was comfortable, especially since we were finally out of the tin can.  

We stopped at a little roadside rest stop where the trees were full of macaws.  There was a small bakery where we were able to purchase goodies if you weren't allergic to bees.  The honey bees were swarming everywhere.  I was a happy camper here as I used to raise these guys.  Yes they really can take your finger off in a flash. 

 

We were off to our next destination.  To be honest, I had absolutely no idea where we were or where we were going.  There were no maps available and of course my phone didn't work.  If I had any idea just how close we were to  Nicaragua, I might have been a little uneasy.

 Now however, I'm heading to the couch for a little nap.  The band next door played until late in the night and I'm exhausted after getting little to no sleep.  I'll see you tomorrow!!

 

 

 

12 comments:

  1. I remember this 2013 trip of yours...don't think I ever asked, so I will now. Costa Rica is 'suppose' to be one of those places that Americans retire to...those who want to get out of America that is. Any comments on that? Is it more of a 'nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there' kinda place???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm it depends on your idea of retirement. It's VERY laid back, as in there are no Costco's or Walmarts. There's lots of hiking since it's rather mountainous or you can park yourself on the beach. Big towns are full of big time crime. Small towns have no amenities. It's very much country living. If you like shorts, sun and a cold drink on the beach, it's for you.

      Delete
  2. I don't understand why companies are so irresponsible! Sure makes you not want to use them! We are enjoying your Costa Rica trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the service aspect. I think they are so divided up, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

      Delete
  3. I got confused. Did you just wish off to Costa Rica or just reminiscing about the good times? I guess your fireman hero won't be coming this year 😀 Costa Rica sounds a little like my everyday boondocking. No hot water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went on that trip in 2013 I think ... and I'm just reminiscing since absolutely nothing is going on here. Yes you would love Costa Rica!! Just park on a chair at the beach all day long!!

      Delete
  4. Glad to get that straightened out. Been on a Tour and a Cruise like that.
    Hoping you at least enjoyed a part of that trip.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I enjoyed ALL of the trip. It just wasn't at all what we expected it would be!!

      Delete
  5. Hee hee.....kind of makes me glad we never ventured to Costa Rica. But I'm enjoying your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to manage your expectations. NOW I figure that out!!

      Delete
  6. I am enjoying your trip and it must have been nice to catch up to the rest of the group. No hot water would be a -1 star rating in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little scary there at first ... we didn't know anyone on the trip except each other.

      Delete