Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Electronics And Chickens Don't Mix

 I should know better than to try and fix all the phone "fixes" when it's o-dark-thirty in the morning.  For those other chickens out there who are early risers, we should just park it and eat something.  Maybe running around the roost a few times would help get the blood flowing to the brain.

It would have made yesterday's foray into the inner sanctum of my phone much easier to navigate.  You know what happens when you update your phone?  Nothing works like you want it to.  Getting everything set back to normal for me, was a test in patience.

I went through list after list, tap tap tapping to get to where I wanted.  NO WiFi since I have an unlimited plan and NO location services.  No one needs to be tracking me anywhere, nor do I want my searches to be snatched up by some spam company who will then inundate me with emails and text messages.

Here's an interesting one I found .... Exposure Notifications.  Should you come in contact with anyone exposed to covid (they of course have HAD to provide their phone number to the reporting services), your phone will light up like a Christmas tree.  Are you kidding me?  Without their permission, you are going to give me their medical information with an exposure notification?  Isn't that illegal?

So for anyone who has a new phone, or has updated one lately, be sure and turn that sucker OFF.  I cannot believe the phone companies think they can be so invasive and destructive to a person who just happened to get a virus.  Maybe we should shun them to colonies like the poor people who got leprosy. 


 Then I discovered my phone will now only charge up to 80%.  Why?  I have no idea ... I'm a chicken.  Once it's on the charger for a few hours, meaning I'm probably asleep, it will charge the rest of the way.  Why would you do that?  I really need the phone to charge up all the way during the day so it doesn't quit when I need it ..... but NO .... it will only charge up 80% so I'm constantly putting it back on the charger.

I'm pretty sure this is a way to get you to buy a new phone.  In fact I'm sure of it because almost immediately I got a notification that I probably should get a new battery ... at the Apple Store of course.

In the meantime, I couldn't seem to get the AllTrails App to work.  It shows all the hiking trails wherever you search.  It seems many of the apps were reverted to WiFi use only.  I think that's AT&T's way of pushing you off the unlimited program and making you use WiFi for which you pay a lot more, not to mention they can slow down your speed.

It took me quite some time to dig down through those menus before I was able to turn off all those settings that were looking for WiFi.  My phone immediately sprang to life.  Everything seemed to work much better.  That's probably because I don't HAVE WiFi unless I turn it on, so my phone just kept looking for it.  Oh the pitfalls of updating!!

On another front, I haven't heard a word from Apple about my new computer.  I finally called, after waiting the appropriate four hours in order to get a real human being.  They couldn't find any information at all.  Didn't even have my order.  You can imagine the cackling that could be heard around the neighborhood.  At long last they found the order and said I would have it by December 14th.  We shall see.

As much as I HATE shopping at Walmart, I needed a new popup for my phone.  It's a little handle so to speak that sticks on the back of your phone to make holding it for selfies much easier.  I don't do selfies, but it makes taking ANY picture easier, mostly because you don't drop your phone, which of course I do several times a day.

Wasn't I surprised to find almost every single shelf covered in plexiglass (or maybe glass) and all locked up.  Even the baby formula.  Really?  Looters take cans of baby formula?  This was only the beginning.  Almost every single item in the store was locked up except groceries.  Anything you want, you have to ask for them to unlock it.  

That would be great if they actually had people working there, but they have made the entire store check-out-yourself and fired everyone.  How nice of Walmart to make even more money off of your decision to shop their store.  

By the way, has anyone noticed the increase in the price of food?  My Lean Cuisines have gone from $2.59 to $4.88 each.  That was my last visit to Walmart.  I'm only shopping local small business stores from now on.

 
 And so as the day ended, the chicken coop was calling my name.  There was a gorgeous sunset on this day which rarely happens here.  It almost looks like a painting. 
 

Lastly, skunks LOVE chicken eggs, which is why I put one in the trap.  It's still there, so apparently whoever came wandering by is gone for the time being.  I'm not fooled.  I'm leaving the trap set up every day until I wander off to Arizona.  

What .... you heard there was a stay at home order?  Sorry but that hypocritical order-breaking smug tyrant of a governor in California (who travels to his winery often and attends dinners with crowds of people, no masks) is not going to keep me from going anywhere I please.  

To that, many Sheriffs in the State of California have posted a statement saying they will not, under any circumstances, uphold that ridiculous order, bother anyone about traveling anywhere OR respond to any call about the number of people you have in your house at Christmas.   Use your own common sense.  Finally someone with a little sanity stands up for our freedoms.  

In return, the governor has threatened he will cut their funding drastically.  That's funny since he was the one who threw a huge tantrum saying it was illegal when the federal government threatened to cut HIS funding for not following THEIR orders. 

If you are at risk, please stay home.  If you are worried at all about the virus, please stay home.  As for me, I'll be living my life as close to normal as I possibly can and traveling is a part of that. 

 


14 comments:

  1. Got this from search on Skunks and Winter: While skunks do not hibernate, they do become significantly idler once temperatures begin to drop. During the winter, skunks mostly huddle in their dens for warmth. However, the skunk mating season usually takes place in February and March, and most skunk young (or kits) are born in April and May.

    I too turn off "where are you" and "follow you" type of stuff on phone and computer. Of course, with a 4G dumb phone that is just one menu choice.

    This year I went into Walmart twice. Prior to Skruffy's death it is where I got her insulin so it was every month or so ... now I avoid it as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that's why the skunk activity has subsided. Maybe they will find new hunting grounds.
      Another thing about Walmart ... they are not stocking their shelves. Stuff all over the floor ... it was a mess and this is the best one in the area.

      Delete
  2. So agree with you about living life and traveling! I've noticed the prices too in Walmart going up. Haven't noticed the plexiglass, but will check. I'm usually there for groceries. Heard about the governor sending out the "emergency alert" yesterday, when he was told by numerous agencies NOT to use that system for THAT! What an IDIOT! Waiting for ours to do the same, as he likes to do everything yours does! UHHH...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But but .... he's the King ... he can do anything! You are right, he's an idiot!!

      Delete
  3. Walmart groceries under lock and key varies from store to store. The most I've seen locked up was last year at the Neighborhood store in South Tucson. I haven't seen anything locked up at the Yuma Foothills store. The Foothills store still has cashiers but Jerry actually likes self check and he's really fast. So he checks and I bag...works for us. That was a beautiful sunset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to check myself out too since it's so much faster, not having to wait for checkers to talk to everyone. Trouble is, those people are just trying to feed their families.

      Delete
  4. We learned the hard way that leaving Apps open on your phone drains the battery really quick. After each use we make certain to shut all running Apps.
    Our daughter-in-law's Cell Phone needed charging between each use. Closing all her open Apps we counted 350 open. She now charges it every Two Days and shuts the Apps after each use.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your trapping.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness ... 350? Yikes!! I actually close out every app when I'm done with it, even if I open it back up ten minutes later. Since I'm on it constantly for just about everything (and my phone is old) the battery doesn't last long.

      Delete
  5. Does this help?

    Your iPhone may get slightly warmer while it charges. To extend the lifespan of your battery, if the battery gets too warm, software may limit charging above 80 per cent. Your iPhone will charge again when the temperature drops. Try moving your iPhone and charger to a cooler location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmm that's possible, but I think it's the new upgrade. I never got the message before the upgrade, but now "your battery should be replaced, contact Apple" appears here and there. They just want me to buy another phone!! Good info to know however ... I'll keep that in mind. Not sure if they actually replace batteries for a reasonable price.

      Delete
  6. I can't believe that covid notification app is automatically included in the upgrade and turned ON! That is just wrong! Good info for anyone doing what you're doing. Thx
    Our Walmarts here are still quite user-friendly. Touch wood. Aside from the masks and floor markings, things are quite easy going everywhere in the store. I also use self-checkouts too even though I understand about many needing the job. There are usually 4 people at our self-checkout so I don't feel so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely if you get an upgrade or a new phone, turn off the Covid notification. It's just ridiculous.

      Delete
  7. If you go to Settings then battery you can cancel the 80% problem. At least I could on my iPhone 11. Its now charging to 100%.

    ReplyDelete