Thursday, July 25, 2019

Who Needs House Plants Anyway?

I'm framing this one and posting it on my patio.  
House plants are overrated.  Yes they do liven the place up, even though green isn't really my color.  Yes they bring life into your living room, but sometimes death quickly follows if you have a black thumb like me.
I worked very hard to keep this guy going, but he just insisted on dying.  The first casualty of the war against the heat and sun has succumbed.  I'm so sorry Patty and Dan, I'll buy you another one.
With a tear in my eye (not really) I headed out to mow the lawn in 83 degree weather.  It can't be that bad, right?  By the time I got two extension cords in place and the mower out of the garage, I required water.  I quickly downed TWO bottles of the cold stuff from the fridge.

I wasn't out there five minutes when the sweat began to pour off my forehead.  There's nothing worse than trying to keep that cord from being run over.  I double-dutched my way all around the yard.  You remember that game, don't you?  Two jump ropes turned in opposite directions while you try not to be hog tied in the middle?

It only took about fifteen minutes before I was done, as in having a heat stroke requiring resuscitation.  After putting everything away, I laid down under the ceiling fan turned on to break-the-sound-barrier speed.  

When I finally felt human again, I turned the sprinklers off.  Let the lawn die.  I'm not doing THAT again!!
About that time I went BACK outside to check the heartbeat on the rest of the cactus.  Lookie here!!! Another one blooming gorgeously!!  Maybe my thumb isn't all black after all.  Of course you know these only bloom when there is LOTS of monsoon water, which means I'm overdosing them.  I'll cut back.
The rest of the afternoon I stayed inside trying to cool down.  It didn't really get all that hot, but the humidity was something like 200 percent.  The embellishments on these square will take place after the entire quilt is complete.  Stuff like buttons and dangly things.
I did brave the heat for another barbecued dinner.  It was yummy in my tummy!!  I love it when you can get four edible meals out of one cooking episode.
Still feeling rather warm, I turned on every ceiling fan in the house ... five in all ... and sat down for some amazing enjoyment.  Enlightened ice cream.  I found it at Safeway.  If you're looking to play the Keto game, this has only 5 net carbs.  

If you're on any other kind of diet (or even if you are not) it only has 70 calories.  That of course is for 1/4 of the small container.  Even so, it's only 280 if you ate the whole darn thing.  I'm in!!  It was VERY tasty ... just like ice cream!!
So this morning, with a lovely 77 degrees lurking outside, I'm going to start on the tile.  Even if it only sticks for a year or two, that's better than it was.  Worst case, I'll actually call some tile guys and pay a fortune to get it all replaced ... maybe with some fancy Mexican tiles!!




12 comments:

  1. That is how I feel when I step out of our house in Flordia when it is 90+ degrees and 90+ humidity...and all I have to do is walk to the car! (Which is precisely WHY we are sitting outside Gold Beach Oregon, high today around 75, low around 55, sun hitting the solar panels....)

    Have not seen that ice cream, but we have enjoyed Halo except the COST is outrageous but the taste is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humidity is getting up there ... around 70% today as the rains start coming in. That kind of humidity here gets you lots of bugs!!

      Delete
  2. Nice that you managed to get the lawn mowed and survived. It is the humidity that really makes it uncomfortable. But you did cool down. Nice to see you are making good use of that WeberQ, pretty soon you be a real pro.
    Good luck with the tile work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've ever had to deal with humidity before. It is a challenge!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy ... I've only got 23 more to go!!!

      Delete
  4. Ditto on the quilt block, I like it. Good luck on the tile, you should have no problem doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have more confidence in me than I do when it comes to tiling!

      Delete
  5. I love the quilt square! We'd never have that ice cream here but does it have high cream content? That would be the ticket for me.
    Beautiful cactusflower and is it possible the dead plant will come back? :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice cream is actually made with skim milk, but you would never know it by eating it!! Alas, dead is dead. (sigh)

      Delete
  6. Hi Nancy-

    The Big Boy 4014 just came through our town.
    There was a large crowd on both sides of the tracks to see it.

    ---It’s Big—-

    https://www.up.com/forms/steam-trace.cfm

    -Chicago Robert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!! I'm glad you got a chance to see him. Yup he's big all right!!. Meant to pull a huge load at 60 mph. It's just amazing that the men back then were able to manufacture such a marvel. Even more amazing that Ed and his team were able to bring him back to life!!

      Delete