Monday, July 8, 2019

Poisonous Cactus!!

Are cactus poisonous?  Asking for a friend.

I totally enjoyed the morning warmth yesterday at 78 degrees, unlike THIS morning when it's a lovely 69.  I turned on the AC fan to distribute the cool and listened to two separate families of coyotes talk about territory.

Okay, it really wasn't a friend I was asking for.  I admit while doing some cleanup in the back yard, I whacked a cactus by mistake.  That agave spine went deep into my finger like butter, right near the top joint.

In no time it swelled up and the pain began.  By evening, it was throbbing and I couldn't move it.  It's poison, I know it!!!  Just like a snake fang, it injected me with something awful!!  Yes I'll live, but you'll never convince me it wasn't poison!!  Serious pain!!  I even thought I might have broken it.
So ... onward and upward ... I finished this quilt top after fussy cutting the borders.  That means laying the fabric out and cutting exactly where required, instead of doubling the fabric and cutting by width.  Different (meaning harder) than anything I've ever done, I rather like it.
Since I'm taking care of the entire contents of a greenhouse the size of San Francisco (not really), with the added bonus of the fish, I was offered the use of the RV cover at the Chance residence for my rig.  Wow is that ever amazing!!  You never realize just how much you need one until you park in something akin to the Taj Mahal.  I'm back to negotiating for one at my little ranch.

The entire time I've been here, rain clouds and rain have skittered all around me.  The monsoon season is heading this way.  It actually rained just a tad.  I'm looking forward to lots of lightning images.
Here's my surprise for today.  Guess what's hidden under this foil?
In pro handyman (or rather handywoman) style, I finally purchased a big bottle of propane.  That meant installing the hose to the barbecue.  Easy peasy for you men, but it's something I've never done before.  I'm rather afraid of propane bottles.  I was told many moons ago that you had to carry them in the back of a truck so they don't leak gas and kill you.  

I called Mr. Chance to make sure it was okay to carry it in the back of my Jeep for the trip home.  Are you sure it won't explode or something??  Thanks to the guy at Lowes who actually got the right hose for me that went on perfectly the first time I tried.  
Looky here!!  Perfectly barbecued boneless pork chops!  I'm going to be using it a lot more from now on since I won't have to buy those $5 green canisters every other day.
With my hand bandaged up and a couple of advil to take the edge off, I sat outside and enjoyed the sunset.  For the second time, I was reminded how much I love the desert colors.

I'm convinced!  I'm SURE that was poison.  My finger still hurts every time I lift my cup of coffee.  Maybe a little fabric shopping will take the edge off!!







8 comments:

  1. Maybe some Benadryl will help with the cactus sting., Nice that you git your Weber Q hooked up to the larger propane tank, much more cost efficient. We have ours hooked to the large tank on our coach, works awesome. Tasty looks pork chops, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was the only one using the small tanks. This is so cool ... no trip to the store every week for bottles.

      Delete
  2. If you are still in pain, I suggest you go to emergency +or urgent care to get your problem resolved. Not far from you off Houghton (may be near the super Wal-Mart) is a very nice urgent/emergency facility. I went two or three years ago and was very helpful. Lynn Cross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn. I think I saw that place close to Walmart. It's finally feeling better!!

      Delete
  3. By the time you read this I sure hope your finger is better. That sounds so painful. Good for you in getting these handyman chores taken care of. You are my hero! Beautiful sunset. If your finger doesn't get better maybe you should go to urgent care as suggested earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finally feeling no pain in my finger. I think it was just badly bruised too close to the joint.

      Delete
  4. Agaves HURT. I'm pretty sure they're like gila monsters and are full of bacteria and other bad things. Really nice sunset pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do ... you've got a few of your own!! It's finally back to normal, at least as normal as an arthritic finger can be!!

      Delete