Tuesday, July 2, 2019

S T R E T C H I N G It Out!!

I was never one for doing stretching exercises until I started running.  It keeps your muscles from cramping up when running long distances.  I've learned however, that in my old age, stretching first thing in the morning helps to get rid of those naggy aches and pains.

It also helps if you have an amazing sunrise to look at while doing contortions outside in the cool 79 degree morning air.
The entire time, I'm visualizing this image.  Cool ......... calm ..........  pretending it's 65 degrees.
Speaking of stretching, ever since I purchased this house, the carpet has been full of lumps and bumps.  The one you see here is big enough to trip me.  It's hard to find someone to do this kind of work because it's usually attached to purchasing carpet.  

Luckily, I looked up on Angie's list and got a carpet installer who said his guy does stretching work on the side.  Obe called me back right away and said he would be there the same day.  Wow ... that's service!!  

He showed up right on time.  I called the Chance residence, just to be sure someone knew I was over here with a strange man.  Happily, the strange man brought his wife with him.  It was actually his day off.  That's REALLY service!!

Here was his take on the problem.  They probably didn't stretch it with a power stretcher like he has here, and he thinks it was "washed" at some point, which makes carpet stretch even more.
In no time it was tight again, with about two inches trimmed off one entire side.  He was so nice, I gave him a big tip.  I mean really, who comes on their day off????

On a side note, I asked Mrs. Chance (guru of all things growing) if I could grow tomatoes here.  Was it too late in the season?  When I arrived, she had this beautiful tomato plant for me which already has four tomatoes on it!  I'll add it to the greenhouse residents visiting my patio.
My duty for the next couple of months is to keep all these babies alive, along with a few big house plants.  That's a pretty tall order for my black thumb, but I'll do my best.  I just never know how much to water cactus!!  By the way, last year it was only ONE table.  The wet winter has resulted in a multitude of new cacti!!
Today, the war of the wasps begins.  So far I've knocked down two nests, with one big one to go.  I've got 911 programmed in to my phone, just in case!





10 comments:

  1. It was nice to get your carpet fixed up so quickly and by such a friendly guys. Good luck with all your plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to need all the luck I can get keeping those babies alive!!

      Delete
  2. All Flying Insects hate Smoke so if you can find a Safe way of smoking the nest you should be able to dispose of it Safely. Lots of Stores also sell Fake Wasp Nests (paper Chinese Lanterns) that work great at keeping the real ones away. They are territorial and if the see a nest nearby they keep going.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your plants.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, is THAT ever interesting. I had no idea they had territories. These guys are huge ... I'd rather they go somewhere else.

      Delete
  3. Your cactus look great! That's an impressive array of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how many different kinds they have been able to acquire. These are the greenhouse cacti I will babysit until they return.

      Delete
  4. Wow. That's a lot of cacti. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that crazy? I've never seen many of them. I just hope I can keep them alive until the Chance family returns.

      Delete
  5. What a great guy and the work done on the carpet would be worth it. :)
    Mom used to have a long sun porch of windows full of cacti on tables too. Hers were much taller and had babies etc. You should only need to water them once a month and about a shot glass full. They don't need much water, you'll do fine. :) Love to see Cooper in the tomato plant picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHA!! That may be my problem. I cacti-sat last year and lost a couple of them. Maybe I was watering them too much!!

      Delete