Friday, March 1, 2019

YES ......... YES I DID!!!

If you're the least bit squeamish, you might not want to scroll down very far.  Just a friendly warning!!  Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!!

It was a comfortable morning on the couch while I waited for the weather to warm up.  Cooper is doing SO much better and doesn't have the look of death on his face.  Finally, by 10:00 I was bored enough to traipse on off to Lowes for the balance of my brick.
Too bad for me, the nice gentlemen were not working on that day.  The very young skinny girl wasn't much help.  The worst part, I had to bend over and crawl up under the shelf in order to reach the bricks.  I think she felt bad and helped me with the last five.  

Yes .... yes I did unload all 26 of them when I got home.  I felt fine, but little did I know I lost about an inch in height as the weight squished my spine.  These things are HEAVY!!
Here comes the squeamish part!!  Just for giggles, I thought I might check my rat traps under the house before covering up the entry with bricks.  Once I crawled in the hole, I was greeted with this lovely image.  RATS!!!  

For one, I don't have a clue how in the world they can get inside.  I've gone around and around trying to make sure each and ever hole is covered.  This one appears to be rather fresh.  That's when it dawned on me.  I have to get it OUT of there and reset the trap.  

Yes ..... yes I did ..... I spread out a plastic bag and put on my gloves for the surgically precise operation.  Get the rat OUT of the trap WITHOUT touching it.  It's a good thing I have big strong cowgirl hands, because that trap was hard as heck to open wide enough to extract the long dead (thank goodness) creature without touching anything the rat had touched.

Then I had to figure out how to apply peanut butter without touching anything with my hands.  I used a piece of saran wrap ...... very gingerly.  The trap is now set and the dead rat is in the garbage.  These traps aren't cheap, but I think next time the entire thing will go in the trash.  YUCKY YUCK!!!!!
By the end, I was really tired from unloading the bricks in the heat of the day.  What do you see here?  JORTS!!!  Yes ..... yes I did!  I put on a pair of old levi shorts to help me cool off.  Like my nice boot socks?  I was NOT taking them off.  The weather is nice right now, but it could snow at any second!!
I spent the rest of the night on the couch with my back loudly reminding me I'm too old to be carrying heavy bricks around.  Oh I'll be fine with a couple or four advil.  I just hate being reminded.  Maybe today I'll reset a few bricks and show you what I'm up against.



9 comments:

  1. Nice to get the last of those brick taken care of, and then unloading the rat trap is always a treat as well. Gotta love this was weather and you sorts is just the thing to cool you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very nice to finally be able to get things done. Loving the warmer weather as I'm are you are.

      Delete
  2. Now is that a Dead rata or a raton that is the question
    Now I’ll give you the solution Go find yourself Some fishing string
    Attach the fishing string to the raton trap
    When you crawl in the crawlspace with the rata trap pull the fishing string with you
    Place the rat trap wherever you want it without touching the string crawl back out you see where I’m going with this.
    when the mouse trip the trap trap you can pull the string See that’s New England ingenuity we dont exert a lot of energy And you can’t make this stuff up,,, try it you’ll be glad you did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I see!! Yes, Mr. Chance said I should nail them to a 2 x 4 so the rat won't drag it off to the depths of darkness.

      Delete
    2. Tie the string to something He’s not going far anyways

      Delete
  3. That's good advice from Ed so that way you can also prebait the trap before leaving it behind.
    As for the Bricks learning how to use the angles on the back to your advantage will give it a fairly straight or curved lines but still making it look rustic.
    Advil doesn't cut it for me.
    Be safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bricks are pretty easy to set. They are so rustic none are the same size, so they don't have to be perfect. To be truthful, I think my sore back is from lack of exercise! Hahaha

      Delete
  4. Rats can get through the eye of a needle...no joke! (well, maybe not, but it seems that they can)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently that's the case!! I hate them!!! I don't care if they go live in the desert, just not under my house!!

      Delete