Thursday, March 7, 2019

Spring Is Busting Out All Over

Unfortunately, not at my house .... so far.  I keep waiting for all the beautiful cactus blooms, or maybe a wildflower or two, but it's not happening.

The only things busting out are the birds, which I'm happy to photograph.  My dove buddies are back in a new nest, swapping sitting duties every few hours.  I watched them while I sipped my morning coffee.  

That's when I heard a weird noise .... like a woodpecker on my fireplace chimney.  I went inside to grab my camera.  Upon my return, this Gila woodpecker was sitting on the hummer feeder.  Apparently word has gotten around that this is the best place in town for dessert.  His buddy was hanging from my wooden birdhouse right next door.
I thought she probably just needed a spot to relax.  Two seconds later, she (or he) was lapping up the sweet stuff.
About that time, two rather large road runners ran across the yard making eyes at each other.  They hopped up into my acacia tree and disappeared.  Yup ... spring is in the air.

About that time I heard the loud humming of the owner of this territory.  He was not the least bit happy there was in interloper at his feed station.  He went crazy, flying around and dive bombing the woodpecker, who could have cared less.  She didn't even flinch!  She stayed there a good ten minutes before flying off into the wild blue yonder.
In an instant, guess who came to take her place?  The same little Verdin from the day before.  At this rate, I may have to hang another feeder.
This one is for Miss Terry.  One of my friends is traveling through Thailand with her sister-in-law who was born there.  One of their stops was at a local home where silk is produced, spun and made into rolls for sale.  Her spinning wheel is an old bicycle wheel, along with some sticks of wood glued together that make a spindle.  Hard to believe she can make a silk thread product SO much better than I can on my modern day equivalent!
Dinner last night was wonderful fish and shrimp tacos at the Chance House.  I love it when I don't have to cook!!  Miss Snoopy was sound asleep in the best spot in the house.
Last night as I was lounging on the patio, I spotted several quail who came to see my newest project.  I can't wait to show you!!





8 comments:

  1. Love the battle of the birds what fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been pretty fun. They even try to run ME off!!

      Delete
  2. Spring has definitely sprung though the Calendar doesn't agree. Love the bird pictures but laugh when I saw the picture of Miss Snoopy. She brought back memories.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do your humming birds make a "click click click" noise? I know at my sister's house they do, and when they want to get someone away from the feeder, the click noise intensifies immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do ... and the humming gets furious!! It's fun to watch them chase everyone else away.

      Delete
  4. The woodpeckers eat from our humming bird feeder back home also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really! I had no idea they would go after sugar syrup. This was the first I've seen of it.

      Delete