Sunday, March 3, 2019

Good Old Duck ... Or Gorilla

Oh my goodness, it's SO nice to go outside in the morning to fabulous 50's weather.  I may even have to check out some of the hiking trails around.

It was perfect gourd burning weather so I got out my box of goodies and went to town.  It's pretty simple, really.  You can draw on a pattern or you can buy them on sheets of sticky paper.  I have to be a little more careful with placement  This horse looks like he's kicking up his heels.  He's not .... I just got him a little crooked.
The smell wasn't near as terrible as previously, probably because I never really got it OUT of my nose from the first time.  I thought the oak leaves might not turn out since they were only about an inch wide, but they look pretty good.  The good news is I did not burn myself.  A big WIN in my book!!
Although I had the thought to go shopping, I decided keeping my wallet happy was a better choice.  I spent the afternoon finishing up the mow strip.  My last picture was hiding a secret, taken at such an angle you couldn't see the big hump in the middle.  

I fixed that with my trusty spackel knife.  I wasn't quite sure how to handle the ends since the lawn slopes off for drainage.  At least now it will be MUCH easier to mow.  That dead bush?  It didn't like the snow much.  If it doesn't return, I'm planting more of the yellow flower cactus thingy.  The snow didn't bother it at all.
Lucky for me, Mr. Rex Stowers had the solution to the minuscule cactus spine problem.  He said if the lint roller didn't work to try duck tape.  Good old DUCK ... or in this case, Gorilla tape.  It worked like a charm.  It got two spines out of my hand, three out of my leg and my shirt got a reprieve from the garbage can.  Thank you Rex!!  Who knew???
Too bad it didn't help with dinner.  I tried one of those fabulous, amazing, best ever slow cooker internet recipes.  I think I knew better, but it sounded so easy.  Chicken, black beans (I know, those aren't black but it's what I had) Rotel tomatoes, can-o-corn, a packet of Hidden Valley dressing mix and some cream cheese.  

It was so disgusting!!!!  Oh my goodness ... I can't even begin to tell you.  I picked out all the chicken, hoping that an overnight's stay in the fridge hotel would fix it up.  You are right, I buried the rest in my desert cemetery.  I choked down some of the chicken for lunch.  It was better, but only because I smothered it in cheese on a tortilla.  DO NOT try this recipe!!
With a high of 70, it looks to be another beautiful day.  I'm going to check out a couple of hiking trails in the area.  If you don't hear from me tomorrow, send out a search party.  





12 comments:

  1. The mow strip looks wonderful. Glad that the Gorilla helped you out with all the needles.
    Now to enjoy your desert hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is still one lousy needle left ... I'll hit the duck tape again today.

      Delete
  2. You're too late. I tried it last night. Bill thought it was OK but he never complains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny Jan. We saw the same recipe!! Bill is a good guy not to complain!!!

      Delete
  3. That Horse looks cool I wouldn’t change it
    The next time you go to Hobby lobby find yourself some tracing paper if there’s a pattern you want trace it put it on your gourd
    sounds like you got a fun hobby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the burning part ... the cutting with power tools, not so much, at least until I find the right bit.

      Delete
  4. You seem to be your own worst Critic. The Gourd and Bricks look good. With an adjustment of seasoning you might have brought some life back into your dinner.
    Glad you got rid of the Cactus Needles.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your Hike.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably am Rick ... I thought the brick came out pretty good. It's a good thing you guys weren't coming for dinner. We would have eaten out!!

      Delete
  5. You've done a great job on the gourds! They're beautiful! This is the 3rd time I've tried commenting and lost my internet both other times. Snap! I hate that!
    Nice job also on the mow strip, I like the idea of the yellow cactus. Too bad about the casserole, it looks like what Bill would call 'pussymuck' anyway. :)
    Enjoy the hike and be sure to return! Loving that you finally have Arizona winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was laughing out loud and couldn't stop. Yes I would agree with Bill's assessment of the recipe. Weather is finally excellent!!!

      Delete
  6. Mark that down...another use for Duct Tape... Love the horse, looks like he just came down from jumping over a fence...or a cactus.

    ReplyDelete