Wednesday, March 6, 2019

The Rest Of The Trail

The rest of the story about my short jaunt on the Arizona Trail wasn't as exciting as the first half, but it did have it's high points.  This creek for instance.  Who knew there was an actual creek with water running through it in the desert.  I was pleasantly surprised.

Until I noticed there was no way to CROSS said creek without getting wet.  I followed along the edge looking for a narrow spot when AHA!!  I spotted a log.  When was the last time you tried to walk across a wobbly log?  My balance suddenly left me.

Not wanting to turn around, I gingerly stepped on the end.  I didn't care if my feet got wet, I just didn't want to fall and get my CAMERA wet.  I inched across sideways till I got far enough to jump.  YAY!!  I made it and continued on, trying to figure out where the trail went.  There were no paths and no markers.
While I hoped to find some wildlife around the creek, none showed their hand.  Other than the butterfly, the only live thing I spotted was this tiny wildflower.  I guess it's still a little too cold in this area for blooms.
After arriving at the first trestle and spotting the bundled up weird hiker holding his walking sticks sideways in front of him, meaning he probably wasn't a hiker, I hotfooted it back towards the car.  I really didn't want to be going the same direction as he was.  I'll photograph the second trestle next time.
Back across the creek on the log, I wasn't so lucky the second time.  I got one foot wet as I teetered across.  Up the steep hill I headed, stopping occasionally to listen for some sign of critters.  Truthfully, I was catching my breath.  
At least going back UP the hill there were trail markers.  
That's when I saw THIS in the mud.  My first thought was dog ... a really BIG dog.  My phone is 6 inches long.  Then it dawned on me the track was going ACROSS the trail and not UP the trail.  Maybe it was a cougar print?  I've no idea, but I could tell it wasn't fresh.  I looked all around, but saw no other tracks on the hard rocky surface.  
Okay then ..... back at the Jeep I thought I might follow the road just a little further to see where it went.  Not a mile along, I found it.  A gorgeous Cienega Creek Preserve sign.  Perfect for critter watching, even if I didn't see any.
What I DID see was the darn railroad trestle.  Are you kidding me?  I could have driven  right up to it?  I didn't have to walk a mile in soft sand, getting scared by another hiker and finding nothing to photograph?  I took a picture out the window.  Next time I'll start my hike from there!!
I'm not deterred.  I'll be even more prepared for what I might run in to, and maybe I'll find a more frequently traveled trail.  

It's still early since spring hasn't sprung yet and I've had a few more visitors to my hummingbird feeder.  Someone I didn't expect at all.  I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.







12 comments:

  1. At least you got out for a nice hike, the exercise and fresh air is wonderful. That is one pretty large kitty footprint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another nice hike, Nancy. I know what you mean about walking on logs. Our balance is certainly not what it used to be. We watch Live PD and I laugh at people under the influence who can't stand on one leg for long. Have you tried it? Without a drink, I'm not good at it anymore!
    Not sure of your temperature today but I'm sure you are watchful for slithering critters too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, right? Until you have to balance for some reason. It's surprising how that got away from me.

      Delete
  3. Maybe carrying a Walking Stick would help your balance crossing small streams like that.
    Definitely a Cougar Track. They sneak up from behind. Remember about Hiking in pairs or more adds to your Safety.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your adventure.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the sticks. That WOULD have helped me cross the creek!

      Delete
  4. Yes The desert it is almost always pretty
    You do know that Arizona is it right to open carry state
    As much time as I have spent in the desert and it’s a lot I never go unarmed
    Yes I do worry about the two footers but mostly it’s the four footers that I’m concerned with
    Some are not always friendly
    You need to throw a little pocket compass and a fully charged cell phone in your backpack
    Your phone should have Google maps on it between that and your compass it could make the difference between a nice short walk or one dam heck of a long Hike
    I made that mistake one time it was no fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A compass would probably be a very good idea. The cell phone doesn't always work around here.

      Delete
  5. BINGO...had did I know? Frankly, I just read about the guy that killed a 3-4 month old cougar with his bare hands...even so, he got scratched up pretty bad. Did a Google search for "Cougar mud print" and yep, there it is, your paw print. "IF" you are by yourself, you should have your .357 Magnum pulled and ready...you will only have a few seconds with a cougar, as you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another first ... I never knew there were cougars in the desert! I didn't think I was anywhere near their territory. I'll be much more careful!!

      Delete
  6. Okay, seriously, nice pictures. Love the creek and the log...fun. I would just accept I was going to have wet feet...lol except that is not fun for hiking. Lady you make me nervous out there hiking on your own. Be careful and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I'll find some place with a lot more people around.

      Delete