Monday, December 4, 2023

Speaking of Trees

There wasn't much going on yesterday as I rested my achey fingers.  It always amazes me just how much popping and cracking there is when I first stand up.  I take a hint from the doggie critters ... I do doggie yoga every morning just so I can walk without waking Jonathan up.  

It seems that tinsel brought about lots of Christmas memories.  I think we got our tree about fifteen days before Christmas.  You were at the mercy of the tree lot guys, who were very scary to look at.  We would pick up several, twirl them around and see if they were even.  

After being cut, wadded up and hauled clear from the forests of Oregon, they were a little worse for wear. I later realized those guys worked really hard for that money and were always covered in pitch.  This was a once a year money maker for them.  There were maybe five tree lots in town.  Now the only place you can buy a very sad tree is at Home Depot or Lowes. 

There were rules.  It could never come in the house that day.  It had to sit outside in a pail of water while all the critters fell to the ground.  We learned that after swatting all the bugs that dropped to the linoleum floor.  Finally inside and firmly screwed into the red tree stand, it was ready for the boxes of ornaments.

But WAIT .... you had to wait at least one day for the branches to settle in.


There were more rules.  The lights had to go on first.  Those big heavy strings were always tied in knots and were so hard to unravel because of the big light bulbs, multi colored of course.  Don't dare break one of those bulbs, because replacements were very hard to find.

There was also one very special string of lights we were not allowed to touch.  Have you ever seen bubble lights?  They are filled with liquid (I've no idea what) and when you plugged them in (after warming up) they bubbled and looked like candles.  I would sit and watch them for hours.  I kept those lights for many many years, and actually think I still have a replica set stored high in my cupboards.


Next came the ornaments.  The thin cardboard boxes were so old you had to be even MORE careful not to drop and break anything.  You got swatted for that.  There was no sparing the rod in our house.  The bulbs were plain, which few exceptions.  

Every year we cut thin ribbon to the correct length and tied it tight to the bulb, then tied every bulb on the tree.  I don't think they even had "hangars" back then, although on occasion we did use paper clips if we could find them.

By the way, none of these pictures are of my family or our trees.  THIS one however, resembles our tree more than any other.  Oh yeah .... the tinsel.  It came in a little (also thin) cardboard box.  You would gather up the tiniest amount and begin to place it on the branches one piece at a time.  Again with the rules.  

As Doris mentioned, do NOT let it touch the branch below.  It should just hang straight like the icicle it represents.  I wasn't so good at that part.  If we ran a little short, we would get out the box of aluminum foil and cut enough strips to finish the tree.


It was always my job to water the tree.  The more water, the less mess you had to clean up when all the needles fell to the floor.  Sadly, I wasn't very good at that job.  Cleanup after Christmas was epic.  The good thing was we did not have carpet.  There was no carpet or rugs in our house, so sweeping was mandatory.  Come to think of it, we never had a vacuum cleaner either.  Brooms and mops were the tools of the trade.

Mom always wanted a flocked tree.  We would see them going out of the tree lot looking like they had just been in a huge snow storm.  Back then I had no idea what they used ... something with lots of glue I guess. 

 At long last (we must have had a good cattle year) Dad said we could afford a flocked tree.  We lost a lot of flocking on the way home.  Sadly, the smell of the tree disappeared completely.  It had a chemical flavor that permeated the house.  Decorating was a little difficult, and every time we even touched a branch, the flocking would fall to the floor.


There was never EVER a flocked tree in our house again.  What a mess it was to clean up.

After that came these.  Anyone have an aluminum tree?  I think it was discussed at one point due to the easy setup and cleanup, but it never went anywhere.  This was not going to be a Christmas tree in our house, no matter what.  


This wasn't my idea of a "tree" either, but I admit, I was the first in the family to buy an artificial tree.  I still have it in the garage 35 years later.  After all these years of service, it is now losing its needles too.  It's not the pre-lit version of today and you have to spend hours hooking dozens of light strands together to cover it's nine foot height.  It's a beauty, but WAY too much work!!

The folks who put up these trees for Christmas probably have the right idea.  Turn it upside down, stuff it in a box and you are done.  


So what are your Christmas tree decorating stories?  I imagine practically everyone will have different memories.  It's fun to think about them.  Makes me want to put up that big tree again.  

No ..... no it doesn't!!!!  


14 comments:

  1. Neat tree stories!
    We always had a Charlie Brown tree my parents couldn't afford much. We always had that tinsel that was a pain to put on but we were amazed how pretty it looked when done.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the best trees!! Made with love ..... and tinsel!

      Delete
  2. In Michigan we have abundance of tree lots. And U pick fields. I didn't have artificial until I was about 50. I still would like real but too much work now. And all our kids are fake trees too. I bought a new one on black Friday last year. It will probably be the last one. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet you had some pretty REAL trees. Perfect for young families, but too much work for us older folks!!

      Delete
  3. You certainly know how to bring back memories. We'd go to my Grandmothers for Christmas. She had some of the bubble lights. At least some of them worked. They fassonated me and were part of what got me interested in the science of things. I spent hours trying to get the ones that didn't bubble working again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our bubblers always worked, even though they got knocked around a bit. I was always surprised when they all came on.

      Delete
  4. We had a few bubble lights but they just screwed into a socket on the regular string of lights.
    What I hated is that when one light burnt out the whole string went dark so you had to figure out which bulb was bad.
    In the late 60s I bought 3 strings of lights that had colored mini bulbs backed by plastic snowflakes. One string of those was the only decoration we had on our tiny tree that year. We had and used those lights for many years.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember trying to find that ONE bulb. What a pain that was!! Plastic snowflakes .. you were uptown Linda!!!

      Delete
  5. I love thinking of Christmas as a child! Hopefully my kids feel the same way. Every ornament on our tree has a memory with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Later on we made garland out of construction paper circles. I don't remember any special ornaments until I was maybe 40? We had one for each dog and cat! LOL

      Delete
  6. Haha. My grandparents always cut down a cedar "tree." They are evergreen, that is true here in TX, but are very stickery, and some people thought they smelled like cat pee. But with some lights and ornaments and prayers they wouldn't catch on fire (they dried out amazingly fast even in a bucket of water that was alertly renewed) and plenty of tinsel, they did the job. A little squatty in shape too. They say it's the spirit that counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I remember those trees. Stickery is right!! We looked at one in the tree lot, but quickly passed it by. We were probably all lucky the trees didn't catch fire!

      Delete
  7. Fun stories and fun memories. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patsy I think I saw the perfect tree in your rig last year. It was just the right size!

      Delete