Thursday, May 9, 2019

Transcontinental Railroad - DONE

I got a little ahead of myself by accidentally posting this yesterday.  We are heading out at 6:30.  Hoping I don't get lost!!!

We are off very early this morning for the hours drive to Promontory Summit for the main celebration and the reenactment of the trains meetings nose to nose.  That means I don't have time to write a blog.

I can tell you up to this point it has been crazy with a huge number of people at the celebration in Ogden.  At this point, if you do NOT have a parking pass, you will not be allowed to attend at Promontory.  There are no trams, no busses, no transportation of any kind.  No pass, no see.
I'm hoping it's much better than yesterday's celebration, which I will show you later.  Just as they started the music and the pounding of the spike, all the speakers blew up and the celebration ended.  What a shame ... they had so much planned.  The up side was the Big Wig Speakers were cut short.

See you soon with pictures of Union Pacific 844 and the 4014 Big Boy.

10 comments:

  1. Wow...just wow. I am catching up slow but sure. What a wonderful excursiob/adventure. I am with you outside would be the way to go...can always wash the coal off. I love that you found a material store...lol Tom and I do not like one tire off the ground...that was quite the balancing act. Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being busy and having fun is good, Looking forward to more train pictures and info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I posted this one a tad bit early. Just taking off this morning, so I should be able to post more tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. I was through there last week and saw the signs for Promontory Point but didn't know how far off the interstate it was, so I passed it up this time . I went on to Wyoming where it snowed on me for two days so I turned around and went back home to Idaho . Looking forward to your blog and pictures , that way I might not have to go and see the place .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vernon, it's at least 30 miles from the turnoff. Gosh, snow is NOT good ... I would have gone home too! I should be able to start posting tomorrow in between two more rallies! LOL

      Delete
  4. There is no doubt you are enjoying yourself. Time flies when you're having fun and you are proving that. Love the steam engine picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some amazing pictures out there. Wish I had taken them! LOL

      Delete
  5. It’ll be interesting to see if they someway give credit to the Chinese laborers
    Without them we probably would never have Chinese restaurant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that Ed ... check out today's blog.

      Delete