Friday, February 22, 2019

Yeeeee Hawwwwwww ..... RODEO

Or maybe not.  There was a nice gully washer last night that I thought would never end so I could get some sleep.  By 4:30 it slowed down, but so far hasn't stopped even for a second.  That doesn't bode well for the rodeo.  There's 80-100 percent chance of rain from now until 3:00 this afternoon.


UPDATE:  There will be NO rodeo ..... There's twice this much already and it's going to keep it up all day!!  SNOW DAY!!!!!


The snow on the mountains around us has almost melted away, but I'm sure there is more in our immediate future.  The high today is 38 degrees.  Whoopee!!
So I thought I would show you a couple of images from last year's rodeo when it was toasty warm in Tucson.  You know, like it SHOULD be in the desert.  Just like in your car's mirror, things appear closer than they are.  When this bull headed my direction with a quick turn, I jumped back because looking through my camera lens, I thought he was coming through the fence!!  The men laughed.  How embarrassing for a cowgirl!!
This guy got thrown off, but his hand is stuck in the rigging.  It's called a suicide warp, for good reason.  One extra wrap of that pine tar coated leather and it sticks like glue.  It may eventually come loose, when your arm is broken, unless the clowns can get close enough to grab the end and pull.  I can't tell you how many lives those clowns have saved.
If you're going to go flying off, backwards is a good place to go ..... away from the hooking horns.  In the old days of ranching, Dad always bought muley bulls, ones that were dehorned.  Not only was it safer for the bulls who constantly fought over the gals, but it was MUCH safer for us kids who had to gather them on horseback.  

Sometimes they became a little cranky, as bulls will, and would try to throw their heads underneath your horse, punching them in the stomach.  Even at 8 years old, you better be able to handle your horse well enough to keep away from the business end of a bull.  Eventually, if you yelled loud enough, they would move along.  I screamed a LOT!!
And so I'm not sure there is going to BE a rodeo today.  It's not the least bit safe to be running horses and cattle around a very wet slick arena.  The top may look good, but underneath that eight inches of fluffy sand is hardpack dirt the likes of a skating rink.  Been there, done that.  I would never risk my horse or my money-making bucking stock, but you never know ... the show just might go on.

I'm feeling pretty bad for my dove momma who has finished building her lovely loosely woven bird nest.  Maybe that's so the water will run right through.  Not only has she been freezing, but now she's a little damp around the edges.
I'll let you know what happens.  As of now, I'll probably be sewing all day and watching a marathon of murder stories.  What better way to spend a rainy day.  Maybe I'll even make SOUP!!






6 comments:

  1. Definitely not good rodeo weather. Hopefully soon it will warm up we heading that way next week.
    Homemade soup on a cold day a nice hearty soup is what I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see a warming trend in the upcoming forecast but it won't be here this weekend.
    Soup especially Homemade helps the body warm up and stay healthy.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your hobbies.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing that Rick, but so far it's not happening. Hope you both stay warm!!

      Delete
  3. Aah, what a shame. Darn weather!!
    Certainly don't need the cowboys and girls slipping around in the mud covered in snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure they will be doing that today however! We missed it, but got some fabulous beauty in exchange.

      Delete