Thursday, February 21, 2019

Just Passing Time

Just so you know I wasn't kidding, here's tomorrow's forecast, just in time for the rodeo.  The weather guessers aren't near as accurate as my crystal ball, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Just in case however, I rounded up my cowboy hat, ski parka and warmest gloves.
In the meantime, I began work on my next quilt project.  This looks rather black and white, but really, it's tan, gray and white.  I thought surely there must be an easier way to cut out all those 624 pieces, but in the end, that's just what I had to do ... cut out 624 pieces.  I'm happy to report sewing them together is MUCH easier.
I kept looking out the window all day for critters, but it's just too cold for them to be roaming around.  Instead, I cooked up THIS critter for lunch.  I love pork chops, but I like them tender.  It's probably been fifteen years since I had a chop, mostly because I've never had them turn out cuttable.  They have bred all the fat OUT of meat nowadays, which is what makes it fall apart tender when cooked.
Pan fry it the recipe said, so I did, on LOW heat.  Truly, I think they used a different piece of meat altogether on the recipe card, because it didn't even LOOK like a pork chop.  At any rate, as you can probably tell, I did not roast the veggies, I nuked them.  

I LOVE couscous and the chicken stock, garlic and onions made it wonderful.  I whipped up the balsamic cherry sauce in a flash and drizzled it over the chop.  It all tasted wonderful, once I finally got that hard as a rock piece of meat cut up with my sharpest steak knife.  It quickly reminded me why I don't eat pork chops any more.  
This time I stepped out of my comfort zone and ordered bibimbap.  It's some kind of Korean food. 
That should be fun, right?  Interestingly enough, I just discovered I have the recipes for all the other dinners I don't order, so I can cook those too if I wish.  Click click ... I'm saving those to my phone.

In the meantime, there's nothing like rice krispie treats to make my sweet tooth happy, as well as a quick treat at the rodeo.  
So much the better if you melt chocolate over the top.
My little old girl is doing much better, thanks to Dr. Amy.  Unfortunately for me, she's also now on the chicken/turkey and rice diet.  It's bad enough I have to cook for myself, but now I'm cooking for both my kids too??
They say it's going to warm up next week (they said that last week) so I'm heading off to Harbor Freight today for some extra carving goodies I need ... like a face mask.  If it ever gets warm, I'll be out and about during the day and carving at night.






12 comments:

  1. I don’t know if you are a soup nut or not why not just whip up a vegetable soup dump all your favorite vegetables (no meat) and season in a pot and simmer it up,,,Soup is good on a cold Arizona day

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good bone in pork shop marbled with fat is wonderful. Todays lean pork needs to be cooked to only 145 internal temp overcook or they are shoe leather tough.
    Hopefully you will warm up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! Like shoe leather!! Okay, I overcooked it.

      Delete
  3. The only way I can eat pork chops anymore is with the fat. You can keep the meat. Ha ha. You can tell I don't like chops. They are never tender enough unless done in the oven with mushroom soup. Of course I'm going to try them in IP at least once. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You agree with me. I was wondering about the IP. I haven't tried ribs or pork chops in it yet. Maybe it's time.

      Delete
  4. Have you tried grilling them on the Weber? That is the way we like them best.
    Chef Nancy to table Two has a ring to it.
    Be Safe and Stay warm Enjoying the Rodeo.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm not even close to Chef Nancy ... but chops on the bbq? Now that sounds doable.

      Delete
  5. Marcia cooks up a GREAT pork chop...has to be at least 1" thick, with bone, smothered in onions as she cooks them. YUM!

    When Skruffy was so sick up in Alaska, I had to cook up some ground pork and/or ground chicken or turkey. Added to the mix was pure pumpkin, and some rice. Vet said that the pumpkin was good for the digestive tract...and with her pancreatitis, on top of the diabetes, she needed that mixture for a good month, then that mixed with the prescription dog food, finally just to prescription dog food. It was hard to find the pumpkin, and sometimes hard to find the ground chicken/pork/turkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way back when we all ate so terribly, I used to fry pork chops for a really long time, then make gravy to put over the fried potatoes. Yeah, a little fattening!!

      I tried pumpkin, but neither one would touch their food. Nor did the orange sweet potatoes work. It's funny, but they ARE eating the white sweet potatoes. Score!

      Delete
  6. A rice cooker will let you have rice always on hand with little effort. Swanson makes canned chicken. Easy peasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Linda ..... canned chicken. I never thought of THAT!! That just might work if there's not too much salt in it.

      Delete