Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Thousand Trails

Okay folks .... it's presently 29 degrees, soon to be 26 before 7:00 am.  What is up with this weather???  I don't mind the rain at all because at least it stays around 40-something.  Friday for the rodeo should be MUCH better.  My forecast says 20 degrees with rain/snow.  I think they're just fooling.  Do YOU think they're just fooling?????

Here's another big storm that went through yesterday leaving a nice powdered sugar dusting on the mountains which melted immediately when the sun came out.  I think it got all the way up to 40 during the day.  That sure puts the kibosh on my activities.  There are thousands of trails around here to hike and I haven't been on a single one.
There was another super moon for the last couple of nights, but alas, with all the clouds I couldn't get a good image.  
Even with my biggest lens, there were too many clouds obscuring the moon.  My shivering from the cold didn't help either.
Hoping for a view of SOMETHING, I spotted this guy at least a mile away cruising on the air currents.  I've no idea what he was doing up so high ... I mean he was REALLY up there where you never see birds.
I tried to bring him into focus, but it wasn't to be.  I've really no idea what he is.  I thought turkey buzzard, but he looks WAY too big for that.  He literally never did flap his wings, just rode the air currents until out of sight.
In spite of the cold, I still have hummers coming for lunch and my dove couple have been rebuilding their nest in my palm tree.  At least someone thinks it's springtime.
I've no news on RV insurance yet, but my Thousand Trails membership is saying goodbye.  It has become more trouble than it is worth, with broken down campgrounds, rules that never get enforced and now trouble getting reservations.  

They have set up too many ways for people to stay there, not to mention now being open to the public.  Instead of fixing up electrical sites, they are building cabins in parking spots and selling all the decent sites by the year.  It has become such a stressful situation to find a parking spot, if one is even available since they are now overbooking to boot, that I just don't want to deal with it any more.  

So here's what I did.  I've gotten lots of use out of it over the last seven years, not having to pay for anything but my $460 dues per year and being able to stay 365 days.  What better way to pay it forward than to give it to a nice just-retired couple who are going full time.  They will certainly get lots of use from the membership and were very appreciative.  Being from back East where there are more parks, they will get even MORE use from it.  

To be honest, I'd rather pay the price and stay in a park where I have a definite site reservation.  I can arrive any time I want and not be stressed out about what time to leave, when I arrive or if I'm even going to end up with a place to park.  Goodbye Thousand Trails.

So it's back to quilting and praying the weather improves.  I'm gathering up my cowboy hat, boots, ski parka and gloves for Friday's festivities.  At least I will get out of the house.







6 comments:

  1. We have look at Thousand Trails membership a few times, but really don't think would be beneficial to us. The membership parks do work well for some people we have more than enough parks to go to.
    Good luck with your insurance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've seen, your membership parks are in much better condition than Thousand Trails. I think you got a VERY good deal.

      Delete
  2. The Mobile Home Park near us...the one that had a sink hole swallow up a car a few years ago...well it is now a Encore-Thousand Trails park. There are 'maybe' 40 sites for RVs, and hundreds for mobile homes. They bought it within the past year, and they have done some upgrades by adding concrete pads to the RV slots, and remodel the community room. Oh, the price went up by $15 per night too...we put our motorhome there for a couple of days before we leave and when we get back, makes it easier to load/unload and to give it a good cleaning. The mobile homes in there are VERY OLD...but for the most part, it is a quiet and trouble free park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good one. It seems the ones TT has on the East coast are much better than the West. They haven't been keeping these up at all, and they are made for RV's from the 40's ... short and narrow!!

      Delete
  3. We had considered them once but like you didn't like the idea of when we could arrive or for how long and most were nowhere near where we wanted to be.
    Using our Crystal Ball (The Weather Network) is showing warmer temperatures starting the middle of next week.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your Rodeo. You go Cowgirl!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the parks are on the East coast. Those out West are not very near the places people want to go. It worked okay when I was spending a lot of time in Oregon, but not in Arizona. I hope your crystal ball is correct!! LOL

      Delete