Friday, February 8, 2019

Tubac Art Festival

Oh my goodness it was chilly yesterday morning.  I had to put on my big coat just to let the puppies outside.  Needless to say they didn't stay long!!

So we were OFF to Tubac early in the morning, mostly so we wouldn't have to walk too far from the parking lot.  Don't get me wrong, there is LOTS of walking to do.  The entire town is filled to the brim with vendors.

There were quite a few interesting changes in the little town, including this dramatic facade as we wandered around to our favorite antique store.  Things from the 80's probably aren't really classified as antiques however, and unlike previous years, we found nothing.
There are a couple of amazing adobe compounds on the East side that draw our attention every time.  With three foot thick walls, they are cool as can be in the summer.  Many still have these amazing gates.
If you need a ride, there are three horse drawn carriages traveling around town so you don't have to walk quite so far.  
Although chilly in the shade, the sun came out and shone brightly to warm us up.  It was actually a gorgeous day for an art festival.  Traffic was light, but soon heated up to epic proportions.
We made a couple of purchases in the rug store before stopping in for lunch at our favorite little "healthy food" restaurant.  Truly, there's nothing here that is bad for you.  We settled on a turkey and havarti cheese sandwich.  You should insist on splitting it with someone else in your party.  They are HUGE and we over-ate terribly.  That meant more shopping in order to try and wear it off.
I don't think I've ever seen so many interesting women's apparel, not to be outdone by yellow and purple hair.  
There were some of the most fabulous art pieces I've ever seen.  Fascinating beautifully colored pictures painted by a color blind artist, table top water fountains for $350, more jewelry than you can shake a stick at, along with copper and wood carved art pieces for your walls.  It's all too rich for my blood and of course you are not allowed to take pictures of anything, in case you try to steal their designs.  

I settled on this little rug for my bench.  I thought it resembled the pillow, and turns out it was exactly the same.  
That rug and this one came home on approval.  There are no returns, only exchanges until you are completely satisfied.  Then and ONLY then do you pay for it.  I've determined this one will go atop my buffet table.
It's funny who you might run into at an art festival 815 miles from your home.  This one vendor heard us talking about the craft fair in Sonora.  I've been there lots of times she said.  Well Heavens to Betsy, it was like old home week.  The Chance family lived there for years and was visited by yours truly just to attend the craft fair.  We've all probably met before.

In no time at all, I discovered my big purse was WAY too heavy to carry.  I purchased this bag she made to carry my wallet and had room to spare.  Funny, I don't remember these purses in Sonora, but it WAS over 30 years ago.
Last purchase!!  We walked by this guy selling rugs ... hawking them like a pro.  I didn't need any more, but to be nice, we walked under the little tent.  Big mistake!!  It's hard to say NO because every time, he would drag us further into his lair.  

Finally I asked how much.  $440.  NO WAY!!!  Thank you, but NO.  How much you pay??  I was tired ... so tired ... and didn't want to do this.  I held up a couple fingers, knowing he would say no.  Good grief, he said yes.  YIKES!!  I just bought another rug.  It's like sneezing at an auction and the next thing you know, you own it!!!  I have to say it is rather pretty.
And there's more ..... but just a little.  It will have to wait until tomorrow since I'm off again this morning for Casa Grande.  They are having a gourd festival that I've never seen before.  Everyone should go at least once.  Lynn Cross and I will attend, again with our heavy coats, hoping to catch up with Jan and Bill Mains.  And we're OFF!!!!






8 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun day in Tubec. Now the Gourd festival should be a blast as well, say hi to Jan and Bill for us too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, I was sure at the beginning of your post you said 'unlike other years, we found nothing' but that must have been at the antiques?
    The purchases you made are beautiful and what a coincidence that your bench blanket matches the pillow exactly! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I admit, there has NEVER been a time when I found nothing at a festival! LOL

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. That was amazing Jan. Thank you for letting me know about it.

      Delete
  4. You pay the price for all that beautiful Stuff.
    Say Hi to Bill and Jan for us as well.
    Be safe and Enjoy the Gourds.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amazes me that you guys all know the new people I meet! I'm guessing Escapades.

      Delete