Tuesday, February 12, 2019

FRESH Is Always Best

There has been an interesting development in my life.  Relatively good cooking.  Who knew you could make things that were healthy, diet friendly and actually tasted good!!  I can tell you from experience, I am NOT that person.

Every time I try to make something healthy, it turns out to be chicken or turkey.  Nothing else, just the chicken or turkey.  When friend Pat suggested Hello Fresh, I was skeptical.  Great food she said, just too much for her, being single and all.

I'm pretty leery of things like this because they end up being expensive, but I decided to check it out anyway since I read you can cancel at any time.
They have many menu items to choose from, from diet friendly to vegetarian to just plain old good food.  You can have them send you meals for any number of days a week.  I went for three, which I think is the minimum.  I picked three days because I knew each meal would make TWO meals for me.

Here's how it comes, packed in a well insulated box with two large ice packs on the bottom.  Sandwiched between them was the meat.  They also send you recipe cards, which are magic in my book.  Let's get cooking!!
First up ... chicken and sweet potatoes with balsamic fig sauce.  Everything you need is in the bag, including the tiny bottle of balsamic and VERY fresh ingredients.  I did not expect the excellence of quality.  I didn't even have to trim the chicken.
Who knew I would actually like sweet potatoes!  Cut up in small pieces, I sprinkled on a tad bit of avocado oil, along with salt and pepper and roasted them for 25 minutes at 425.  Good heavens they were tasty.  How could that be?

I cooked the chicken according to directions, removed it from the pan and started on the sauce.  Fry the shallots, pour in the balsamic, add the fig jam and chicken stock.  Wait ..... where's the jam?  I searched and searched before finally adding my own apricot since I had nothing else to substitute.  I'll have to make a call.

Here's the recipe card showing what it SHOULD look like.
This was MY version.  I used my own dressing since vinegar and oil isn't in my taste wagon.  WOW!!!  I couldn't believe the flavor as I ate such a simple dinner.  This was AMAZING!!!  How could something so simple, be so good???  Maybe because it's served on my VERY expensive melamine plates.  I might even be able to entice a MAN into my house with THIS!!!
There's enough for two servings in every package.  I had the second serving leftovers the next night.  The best part is I have the recipe card, which also shows everything you need to buy to make it again.  

As to price, this meal for two was $11.98.  Most of the food will actually make three meals for me, so that makes the cost pretty doable.  I can't wait to try the next one .... pineapple poblano beef tacos.

By the way, I DID call ... or chatted online actually ... and got a refund for the entire meal.  That's pretty good service.  It's so convenient too ... the food comes right to the door!  I'm liking this a LOT!!  No more thinking about what I'm going to cook, or buying out half the store when I only need two chicken breasts.  Even better, once I gather up a slew of recipes, I can cancel and go it alone.  It's a win win for me!!!






9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea, your get the food delivered complete with a recipe for and easy cooking meal, tasty and healthy as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just the best not having to think about WHAT to cook. It looks good, I order it.

      Delete
  2. I like this time of year because we can make chicken soup for about $2.00-$2.50 per person per meal. I pick up two cooked chickens at Sam's Club, put in Fridge, that night I remove chicken meat from breasts and thighs, soak rest in crockpot over night in water and chicken broth, and finish making the soup the next day. I also use some of the chicken for either meat on top of a salad, and/or in a few omelets. Chicken with Fresh Veggies, even did a Chicken Cheese Soup with Mexican spices. What I like the best...I put the leftovers in Crockpot insert into fridge, and reheat next day...so only ONE day of messy kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that certainly does sound good Dave. I do have a problem with soup ... it's like Chinese food. Fifteen minutes later I'm back for another bowl and another bowl. Definitely nice to get several meals from one prep.

      Delete
    2. I put so much chicken and veggies in the soup that it does fill us up...just wish I could have crackers with it. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this. I've been considering the program, but was deterred by indecision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, I have a coupon for $40 off you can use. If you are on Facebook, friend me and I'll send you the coupon number.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a great idea! For you especially but for those of us who don't like coming up with meal ideas but it wouldn't work for those of us who have a fussy partner. Bill is not big into trying 'new' foods and although your first dinner looked awesome, how many plain meals can you choose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a little more difficult to get things shipped to RV parks, but I think if he looked online at all the meals they offer, he might find something he likes. I'm just not a great meal planner.

      Delete