Wednesday, February 27, 2019

I'm BACK On The Floor!!

Well that was one terrible night!!  I was up about every hour until finally at 3:00 I called Uncle and just stayed up.  My brain is pretty much in slow motion.  Here's what my day was like.

With the snow gone and temperatures above 35, I bundled up and headed off to Lowe's for some big concrete retaining wall blocks.  The weather just floors me!  Snowing and 26 degrees, followed by 75 two days later.  Anyway, off to Lowe's.

Did I mention the heater in my Jeep has decided not to work?  Apparently something isn't switching over from cold to hot.  It's a good thing the heated seats are still working!

Mr. Chance offered me the use of his truck to haul these bad boys, but I measured twice and only needed 56.  My seats fold down and it's a Jeep, right?  How much can 56 bricks weigh?  Turns out, a LOT!!

I asked for help and the nice gentlemen loaded me up.  How much do you think these weigh, I asked?  I hefted one and guessed 10 pounds.  Hmmmm I better rethink my purchase.  How about 30.  That's a nice round number.  I was guessing that would be 300 pounds, the same as two nice hunks sitting in my back seat.
I watched the wheel wells as they loaded up the back.  All looked good until I got in to drive and couldn't see the road.  Yikes!!  I pulled over behind the building so they wouldn't see me reshuffle their work and spread everything out like you see here.  Much better!  I took the slow road home.

There was that one bump that sent the bricks and I about 3 inches in the air, but I held on.  Sometimes Arizona overpasses have very rough spots.  The good news is I made it home, only to sink into the wet soil as I backed up to the gate.  No problem ... I've got 4WD!!

I worked on my project for awhile (I'll show you pictures tomorrow) until the temperature reached 75 degrees.  Believe it or not, I actually put on a pair of shorts.  That's when it happened.  Everything was going fine as I threw Cooper's ball over and over again.  I know better ... and I'm mad as a wet hen at myself for not stopping sooner!!

Five minutes later in the house, he couldn't move.  Somehow he hurt his back again.  I made a mad dash for the rig and his meds from the last disastrous event.  It took a couple of tries to get the pills down, then we laid on the floor while they took effect.  Unfortunately for me, that cancelled my plans to go to dinner with Patty and Dan.
Thank goodness for good people ... I called my Vet in California at 4:30, who in the middle of an operation, affirmed my choice of medicine.  Just keep him quiet he said.  That's code for lay on the floor with him all night long and that's exactly what I did.  Oh my aching hips!!!

In spite of two quilts and four dog blankets, the floor is hard.  It's just impossible to get comfortable.  Yes, I am going to Walmart to buy one of those blow up mattresses.  I have a feeling it will come in handy this week while I'm back on the floor!!






6 comments:

  1. Now that is one load of bricks, will give you a good workout and now this wonderful warm sunny weather to enjoy.
    Good luck with sleeping on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely getting a workout!! All I can say about the floor is it's HARD.

      Delete
  2. If you have a hair dryer that blows cool air, you can use that to blow up the mattress assuming it is the type of mattress we have. Best wishes for the Cooper boy...and for you.

    And why is it that 300 pounds of bricks are heavier than 2 'hunks' at 150 each?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess because I didn't have to unload the hunks. Those bricks were HEAVY even for me!! Hair dryer ... good idea! I never would have thought of that. I would have passed out trying to blow it up myself! LOL

      Delete
  3. Bed Bath and Beyond usually carries self inflating mattresses, which are worth it! Turn in on, walk away. Sorry about your hips, sleeping on the floor is too painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Allison!!! I know where BB&B lives!!

      Delete