Monday, February 4, 2019

Super Bowl Madness!!

What a game!  If you like DEFENSE, you saw a lot of it.  Offense, or in other words scoring touchdowns, was in short supply.

It was a rainy morning and afternoon as I contemplated making those Super Bowl snacks.  I hate throwing a new recipe at someone, but Chef Patty said it would be okay since she was trying out a new flavored pizza.

The bad news is I completely forgot to take pictures, not that they were very appetizing!!  I blackened some poblano peppers on the stove, setting them on fire more than once.  Drop them in a plastic bag for fifteen minutes and the skin comes right off they said.  
It worked .... sort of.  Once seeded and cut up, it went into a blender along with some cilantro, garlic, powdered chicken stock and Mexican Crema.  By golly, that tasted pretty good.  I cooked up some shrimp, covered it with cheese and poured the bright green mixture over the top.  All would have been good if I used twice as many shrimp.  It turned out quite tasty, but was pretty sauce heavy.  That sauce and any kind of meat would be delicious in a tortilla!!

On to the guacamole ... super simple.  Avocados, garlic, lime juice and a couple tablespoons of prepared salsa.  I love that stuff.  Then there was the failure with a capital F.  An old recipe from a friend who apparently drinks WAY too much beer.  Now I know why.

It was a queso dip, so salty (even though I added NO salt) it was inedible.  I tried it on a couple of chips, as did Patty and Dan.  It didn't even make it to the cemetery ... it went straight into the trash.  Better luck next time!!

In other cooking WINS, I picked up an entire half a salmon and cut it up for the freezer.  It's SO much nicer when it doesn't have that skin on it.  At any rate, I fried up a couple of chunks to deliciousness.  It's supposed to be atop a pile of green beans with a yummy tarragon sauce, but that required too much work.  

By the way, if you have not tried out one of these frying pans, they are the cat's meow!!  Nothing I've cooked has stuck to it, and that's saying a lot for me!!
Sunsets around here have been few and far between, but the night before, I drove down to my secret hideout atop a big berm to watch this one.  
All went well until I had to back down OFF the berm in the dark.  You know those little sensors on the back that beep when you get too close?  They were screaming at me with a steady high pitched tone as I backed right over that big bush.  I haven't check for damage yet.  I don't want to look.
Back to the game, it was a great one ... sort of.  Great because it was Brady who led the New England Patriots to the win.  It was also one of the lowest scoring games ever.  Not a lot of offense from either side, but Brady and Edleman were able to get close enough to score.  They are now tied for the most Super Bowl wins in it's history.

It's going to be another rainy day here in Tucson, which is better than cold or snow.  The coyotes kept me up late last night, so I'm going to hit the couch for awhile.  See you tomorrow!!



6 comments:

  1. Glad you had fun watching the Super Bowl and experimenting with some snacks, At least you got a bit of a sunset, now to relax with a warm rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did rain a tad here. Just enough to keep the dust down.

      Delete
  2. The quilt's in yesterday's post were beautiful. Though a couple even in the pictures made me dizzy...lol I just cannot imagine the work involved in the quilting. One woman I went to High School with did that type of work and the backs of her quilts were gorgeous and she did it freehand. It is mind boggling.
    I have that pan and amazingly it does keep things from sticking in my kitchen, also!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pan comes in mighty handy with MY cooking!!

      Delete
  3. Glad you had fun at the Game Party. We avoid high Salt dishes as well.
    I've been trying to get Kathy to try those pans but she says not.
    We had the Ten Inch Rain on Saturday. Ten Inches between drops but it was enough that the Coyotes were serenading us last night.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the couch.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I traded in my non-stick pan for the copper one. It's just amazing that things don't stick to it. I love it. I always love to be serenaded by the coyotes!

      Delete