Sunday, February 17, 2019

RV Insurance ... My Nemesis

This picture is what I need to pay for my RV insurance.  A suitcase full of money.  In years past, my ex sister-in-law, who I get along with famously, was a silent partner in the company.  Everything I owned was insured by her business.  Too bad for me, she retired and now I deal with strangers who don't care.

Here's my history with Progressive:  2015-$1634     2016-$1700     2017-$1900     2018-$2400

And now, 2019 is going to be $2600.
The last time I spoke to them, they said there was nothing they could do to reduce the cost.  Yes, I do have full coverage with something like 300-500K.  I don't have the policy in front of me, so no more info is available.  It's also for replacement value ... not only the cost of a brand new rig, but increased for inflation.  What the heck?  I questioned that, but got the "we can't do anything about it" excuse.

I know you should be covered if you own property, but I recently heard if everything is in a trust, that the trust can't be sued, only you.  So why would I keep such ridiculously high coverage?  Everything I have IS in a trust to keep unscrupulous men at arms length (my apologies to all the NICE men out there).  I'm pretty sure that's why my husband left one day.  I never saw him again, but that's another story.
                             
I'll be doing more investigation into this, for sure!!

The good news of the day, both Cooper and Jessie got new blankets.  While roaming around Joann's craft and fabric store, I discovered a bolt of soft fleecy fabric in the liquidation bin.  Since neither Cooper nor Jessie have a favorite color, this worked perfectly.  I got 2-1/2 yards for $10, cut it in half and VOILA!!  New blankets!!  Cooper snuggled on his while Miss Jessie went to the doctor.
So ..... looks like Missy will be taking lots of pills over the next week.  Good grief!!  Mostly these are probiotic kinds of things.  Maybe I should have fed her Activa!!  Another suitcase of money would have made this easier to swallow, but happily she is much better this morning.
A really big surprise awaited me on the porch when I returned home.  THE CARVER IS HERE!!  Apparently that slow donkey was able to hitch a ride on a fast horse trailer and arrived three days early.  I guess you know what I'll be doing today.  

The bad news is it's a very breezy 37 degrees outside, where all of this carving work needs to be done.  I'm hoping to set up a table in the garage.  Still 37 degrees, but at least the wind won't freeze my nose or blow me over.
I'm a little intimidated by the directions that say I might cut my arm off, so I'll keep my phone close by with the hospital programmed on speed dial.

It's Sunday ... time for a little R & R.  Maybe even a little Baileys in my morning coffee.



8 comments:

  1. Wow that is sure some expensive insurance , but then again California! Everything is expensive. Ours is less than a thousand and we have full timers insurance as well. Oh my thats some chilly weather there. That carver sounds like it will be fun, want to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RV-ville has been expensive all around. Good thing I like it!!

      Delete
  2. We also have expensive insurance but it is one of those things, I guess. For 7 years we have full replacement coverage so no matter what our depreciation value is, we'd get a new Mobile Suite. After that, the insurance better drop or we'll be looking elsewhere too.
    Try not to cut your arm off with your new toy AND hugs to little Miss Jessie. First Cooper and now her. Their new blankies will make them feel much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose insurance is a necessary evil, but just imagine if you had all the money you've spent with no claims?

      Delete
  3. our Insurance is much less then that which covers everything we own.
    Hoping the kids start feeling better soon.
    If all else fails "Read the Instructions". Worth the cost of an arm.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right about instructions. They even have a clause that says if you don't watch the video, the warranty is no good!

      Delete
  4. Nancy, give www.rvbestquote.com a try, which is Diversified Insurance Management. We have been with them since 2011, they gave us a good quote with BlueSky, which no longer covers RVs, then a quote with Progressive and with Foremost...Foremost was the better deal. Included with our insurance coverage is a tow package. When our RV burned down while in storage, BlueSky covered it wonderfully...and the folks at Diversified were they to help facilitate it all. We have been towed twice, had 2 flat tires changed, a tire filled up at no charge. Our price is currently just over $1,000 per year.

    ReplyDelete