Monday, December 30, 2013

Wash, Rinse, Repeat ....

Getting ready to roll entails a lot more than just putting some food in the fridge and driving off.  I KNOW all my RV friends are familiar with the needs of their mobile houses.  If you got into this "pasttime" thinking it was going to be a totally relaxing endeavor, I'm betting you have since changed your mind.  I have!!!  But then again, I'm one of the extremely small group of people who travel alone, and therefore have to do all the prep work myself.  Washing the mobile Buzzards Roost is always an ordeal I put off as long as possible ... especially when it is 33 degrees outside!!
My good brush broke in Alaska, so I'm making do until I get to the Indio Rally.  I wash, rinse, wash and rinse again and it STILL looks bad.  About the third time, it finally comes clean enough for a quick wipe with a squeegee and towel.  The system I bought last year that was supposed to be the "bees knees" for washing, is too wide for most of the areas, requiring much more hand washing than I'm willing to do.  The only good thing I can say is that it's good exercise!!!  I finished the other side yesterday and will bundle up for today's completion.

I've already cleaned the batteries and checked the water levels, opened all the emergency exits, treated all the rubber seals with special goop, lubricated the steps and the entry door so it doesn't squeak so loud it wakes the neighbors and did a quick clean of the interior.  Tomorrow I will sanitize the water system if I can figure out how to get the 4 gallons of bleach water in the tank.  According to my How-To Manual, I'm supposed to use the water pump to pump it in.  I have no idea how to do that, so wish me luck!!  After that, time to load up with fuel, food, clothes, camera gear and all things doggie.

In the meantime, I'll just watch the sun rise until it warms up a little.

5 comments:

  1. All kinds of folks to wash the MH at Indio, not too costly.
    Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume you are talking about 4 gal of bleach/water combo. Why not just pour a pint or so (depending on FW tank size) of diluted bleach in thru the fill pipe and add water as needed. Run pump to allow water to flow thru each faucet until you smell the bleach and let it sit overnight. Of course this assumes you have a fill pipe....I am a FW guy. I can't imagine using the pump to sanitize the system as it would not add the bleach to the FW tank would it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did figure out the pump, so went with the fill pipe idea, except all I have is a hose connection. The following post idea will work perfectly ... and I'll follow the rest of the suggestions to run the pump. Thank you so much for your help!!!!

      Delete
  3. Knowing that you don't have an open fill to your water tank, here's an easier way to sanitize your system. For a 100 gal tank which is close to what you have, it takes approx. 2 cups of bleach. You can delute that, or simply pour it into the end of your hose that you connect to the motor home. Connect the hose to the motor home, turn on the water, and turn on the valve to fill the fresh water tank. That sends the bleach into the tank. Let it set for about 4 hours, and run all of your faucets, including shower until you smell the bleach. Drain the tank, refill with fresh water, and run faucets and shower again. Some folks repeat the process a second time, but once is enough for me, since we don't drink out of the tank anyway. Call me if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it ... no fill pipe. Only the hose connection. The idea to dilute the bleach and fill the hose is perfect. Never EVER would have thought that one up!!!! You guys are so smart!!!! Many thanks!!!!

      Delete