Thursday, July 11, 2024

Starlink and Starry Eyed

It was a rough day ...  


And that's pretty much what I looked like after running around yesterday.  People drive so crazy I can't believe it.  One guy tried to run me off the road.  He was in the Must Yield lane right beside me.  Did he slow down or stop until I got by?  Of course not ... he kept right on going until I had to run into the curb to keep him from hitting me.  Did he know I was there?  Yeah I'm pretty sure that constant horn honking was a clue.  I swear, next time I'm going to let them hit me.

That was AFTER I had to sit through an employee discussion at the Elks Lodge.  It turned out not to be so bad, but truly ... if I was that employee who got called on the carpet, I think I would have showed up on time, not 20 minutes late.  All's well that ends well.

In the meantime, I've been contemplating Starlink.  I have a Verizon MiFi that rarely works at my house, and so I use my AT&T phone hot spot.  I've been RV traveling for almost 14 years now.  The MiFi has served me well for a cost of $90 a month.  

What I'm finding out however, is their towers don't work so well any more unless you camp out underneath one.    The solution might be getting Starlink.  Talk about complicated ... if you've ever done any investigation into this, you'll find it to be controversial.  


You can buy Gen 2 with a dish that automatically moves to find one or more of 6219 satellites, or Gen 3 which has a wider view and does NOT turn automatically.  That's assuming you are not parked near any trees or "obstructions".  Apparently it takes some time for it to determine the obstructions before it finds the satellites.  Here are the trails left by said satellites, which seem to bother scientists a bit.


There are two "plans" to acquire.  One is for your house and runs about $130 a month.  It has your address as the location.  Apparently as of now, you can move it wherever you go, as long as you enter another address.  You have priority use on this account.

The other plan is Roaming.  This one is for RV's who travel, but cost $150 a month and you do NOT have priority use.  So you can get throttled down (or dropped completely) depending on how many folks are using their internet, AND you pay more for it.  At some point I'm sure Starlink will stop folks from getting the HOME unit and traveling with it.  The good news is if you get roaming, you can put it on hold any time you want, for as long as you want, and not pay at all.  

For me, I would use it on the road AND at home, so that's $150 a month versus a questionable MiFi for $90 a month.  So what's a gal to do???


EAT ... that's what I'm going to do.  This big box of tika masala came in my Hello Fresh box for free.  It was a taste tester I guess.  There was enough chicken for one serving, and rice for twelve!  The bag of sauce was huge considering the tiny amount of chicken involved.  

It was quite tasty, but I won't show you a picture because you would probably lose your lunch.  It was pretty disgusting looking ... nothing like the picture here.  No, I won't be getting it again.


I continued to pack a few things here and there in the rig, but most of what is left cannot take the heat.  It was 112 inside yesterday, so definitely an RV cover is required.  I would just turn on the air and the fridge, but I'm sure both will run constantly the entire day and half the night trying to keep it halfway cool.  I'm not worried about the electricity ... but the motors running continuously when it's so hot.  Seems like that can't be good for them.  107 today they say.  I'll turn on both this morning and see how it goes.

Dinner was going to be killer I thought.  I mean just look at this burger!  It rivals Habit burgers to say the least!  


At least I can show you a picture of how this one turned out.  Not bad, eh?  Okay, I admit I toasted the bun a little too much.  I got distracted by Trey Kimsey riding that crazy bucking bull!!  What I was NOT fond of was frying the "smash" burger until my entire stove was completely covered with grease.  No kidding, it was running off onto the floor.  

The best part was the grilled onions ... YUM ... and the ketchup/dijon/mayo sauce.  Two such simple things to make this burger the best I've ever made.  Add bacon and I would be starry eyed!!!  The fries ... I don't know.  Why they keep adding BAKED fries to the menu instead of something more tasty, I'll never understand.  They do not come out crispy like their picture, but they were edible.  Why?  Because they had Old Bay Seasoning sprinkled on them.  Who knew?  I may have to try that again!


Stuffed to the gills, I spent the rest of the night reading reviews on Starlink.  At the moment, what I have is less expensive.  If I get frustrated enough with it, I'm sure there will be a Starlink living at my house.  In the meantime ... stay cool.  Today is my final packing day!!





24 comments:

  1. Dang that burger looks good!
    Happy packing and safe travels Nancy.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going to see how our aircard (Verizon, $65 unlimited but scaled down when tower is busy) does. The problem is that Marcia uses it a lot while I drive...but we hate it when we are parked somewhere that should have good Internet just to find that we have been downgraded due to cell tower being busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm afraid will happen with Starlink. Especially when in Quartzsite or in a big city.

      Delete
  3. We finally got Starlink in February in preparation for our drive to Alaska. It has worked flawlessly, and we turn off the service when we don't need it. Dave bought a Gen 3 Roaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. Glad to hear it's working so well. That would be my choice ... and I like that you can turn it off and not have to pay.

      Delete
  4. Eating is always a good solution! Our problem is that we want Internet at home while we are gone so we can monitor the house through the cameras and alarm. So we are Internet -less on the road unless we go to a library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they have the solution ... you can now buy the MINI to take on the road with you, but I think you are limited to 50 GB.

      Delete
  5. If you have AT&T and you still have your Apple I tablet why not just get a Sims card If you already have an AT&T Wireless account with at least one Unlimited phone plan, you can get the AT&T Unlimited Your Way data plan when you add a tablet line to your account—it's just $20.99/mo. for unlimited data. AT&T currently offers two DataConnect plans for tablets: 50GB data plan starts at $55/mo. Just be careful if you’re streaming movies like Netflix because it uses a lot of data
    And if you just want the TV on for the noise get a cheap $20 antenna at Walmart and free airstream your TV
    If nothing else try it for a month you could always shut it down if you’re not happy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have SL now, because the places I like to camp in Canada in summer are well beyond any cell service, but I also use it when home. Last year, I had the Roam version, this summer I am trying the Residential plan - tho it is a bit challenging to change your address when there is NO cell service! HOWEVER, I do not use SL in the US in winter. I have a Netgear hotspot (like a Mifi), but it allows you to attach a MIMO antenna - which is key! If your hotspot doesn't have antenna ports, get one that does. That's what I use in the US in winter, and I don't think I'm ever without coverage. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I have a grandfathered AT*T plan - unlimited for $23.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read something about changing the address being a problem with no cell coverage. No idea about hotspot antenna ports ... it's all so complicated!! When I get back, I'll dig through all this info. Thanks for letting me know. Not sure at this point what would be better, but I'm guessing roaming would be less trouble for me.

      Delete
  7. First so many people either don't know how to drive or are convinced they own the roads often a bit of both. Having internet when travelling can be difficult but it is something we rely on so much now days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy is that the truth Joanne! I rely on internet a LOT!

      Delete
  8. We used the Verizon Aircard when we were traveling, but it got turned down within a week. Whenever the next month started, it seemed an update would happen, thus using half your Data allowance.
    Bill and Patsy have a Star Link. Give them a shout.
    Be Safe in the AC and Enjoy your adventures.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've talked to them about it and it works great for them. More conversation is needed I think.

      Delete
  9. Boy, you have a lot of advice up here. We have talked about this and do enjoy our Starlink. For us it is the only option. Good luck and happy packing and travels. it will all work out, even the fridge and a/c in your new rv. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy ... I needed the encouragement! LOL

      Delete
  10. Like Pat says, lots of advice. We have had our roaming Star Link for over a year now. It is not difficult to set up once you learn how. We use it in Arizona all winter and all the time here at home. Also, never has it been throlled down. We use it for our internet and tv watching. We don't play video games on it.
    I don't think you would use it anymore than we do so can't imagine that you would have any problem with it.
    Always here to help you with setup and questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Bill. I will be using it for TV since I don't have Dish in this rig ... yet anyway ... but not gaming. I think it should be fine ... I've just had too many bills at the moment!

      Delete
  11. I should add that ours doesn't sit flat. Once set on its stand, pointed north and turned on, it will turn until it finds the satellites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it turns then you have a Gen 2? The Gen 3 is not flat, but stationary. Supposed to have a wider view so it doesn't have to turn. I think anyway! LOL

      Delete
  12. We got Starlink as soon it was available in south central Texas. My husband works from home and ATT was terrible down here. Very easy to setup and use. If there is a heavy downpour of rain it will cutout just like satellite tv. They now offer a mini for travel if you have the main system at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the mini one. Just about the same price, but the monthly charge is less. How did we become so attached to the internet???

      Delete
  13. So much information to digest! It's crazy!!

    ReplyDelete