Tuesday, July 9, 2024

ON THE HUNT .....

 Yup ... it's still hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk.  As I saw on my phone yesterday ... I better start being nice because there's no way I could survive Hell when I can't even stand 105 degrees here!!  I admit part of that is because I'm being super careful with the AC.  This is my true-up month, which up to this point has always been ZERO.  This year however, being home and running the air when it's this hot is going to cost me!

To help out, I noticed (literally overnight) that my solar panels were more than dirty.  I keep a close eye on it's production and it is slightly below normal.  Time to call the Bathtub Crew to clean them up.  It's cheap ... $5.00 a panel ... for him to use a small soft rotating brush and tons of treated soft water.  Definitely worth it in my book.


And here we are ... shiny and purdy ... free of the big splats from overhead hawks and buzzards.  My production jumped up quite a bit.  Doing this three times a year instead of twice, would probably be prudent.


Since one set of panels are on the other side of the garage, I had to move the RV.  I'm sure at some point it will become automatic, but right now, I really have to think about how to start it up.  Shifting gears is another thing ... there's no gear shift.  Just a little thing sticking out that you TAP for reverse and TAP for drive.  Tap the little button and you are in park.  That's going to be really hard to get used to when I'm an old gear shifting granny used to double clutching!!

Hooking the electrical back up was a hassle.  Here's the first cheesy thing I've found on this rig.  A cheap plastic ring to secure the electrical cord that would not thread on straight no matter what I did.  After much frustration, I finally just left it.


Then I was off ... in my easy to drive Chevy truck ... on the hunt to find DEF in a smaller container that I MIGHT be able to find a space for.  Trust me, space is 100% more limited than I realized.  If I find it, it will live with my clothes in the closet.

I actually ordered two containers like this from Amazon.  Apparently they dropped them, or smashed the containers because I got a message saying they were damaged.  I hit up every truck stop and auto supply within 30 miles and NO ONE carried the small containers.  That's a problem since the big ones are really heavy ... and I have to lift it up chest high to fill the tank.  

I actually have a 2.5 gallon jug of the stuff, so if I can find an empty smaller container, I'll just transfer it over.  Maybe even a one gallon water jug?
That was a wasted trip since the only thing I came home with was a bag of seed for Jonathan.  I paid $28.00 for a bag that used to cost me $10.  Cooper's dog food that was $18.00 is now $35.00.  I may soon be living off of Van Camps pork n beans!!!

Lunch was interesting ... not that this diet stuff is working ... it's a TLT.  Turkey, lettuce and tomato with a little cheese thrown in for good luck.  


While scrounging in the freezer for something to eat, I discovered I was OUT of Jonathan biscuits.  That can't happen ... and lucky for me, I found a can of yams without having to go back to town.  These parrots have to have orange stuff ... because that contains the vitamins they need to stay healthy.  Of course Jonathan hates anything orange.  This batch has yams, sunflower seeds, crushed peanuts and an egg, which is probably why he's still alive.


Company showed up around 5:00 with a smiling face.  She brought lots of food, but I just wasn't hungry.  I think the heat is wearing on me.  We spent the rest of the evening watching the Calgary Stampede from cooler than cool 70 degree Canada.  

Today I have nothing on my plate until 2:00 ..... because it's time for BINGO!!!!  This is when I tell all the nice ladies that BRA money is not allowed.  I'm sure you can figure out why!  Yessirree ... there'll be no stealing their purse as they walk down the street ........



18 comments:

  1. Mr. Ed said . If you go on Amazon, Motorcraft makes def in 1 gallon containers you will need the spout. here’s the ad for the spout,

    https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-NOZZLE-ASY-PM27N/dp/B008B5WVF8

    If you look somewhere in the ad you’ll see the gallon containers. may be a little pricey, but you can always refill the gallon jug. being corrosive just don’t use metal containers
    Walmart also has red small half gallon containers .. if you had a ladder rack on the back, the 4 x 4 guys have special containers that they use as well
    Push the yellow plug in all the way first then go for the outer ring as for the electric plug take a little dab of Vaseline put it on the inside of the threads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered those small containers from Amazon. Apparently they got smashed and they refunded my money. Have not been able to find them since. I'll have to look when I get back from this trip.

      Delete
  2. Oh Nancy, if I were you I'd stop looking for the small DEF. You'll always be using it, so give in and buy the big one and refill. Maybe the vinegar container might work or any other container (juice etc) in the supermarket that fits the space. Yes, good to clean the solar panels regular. I cleaned the ones on our boat every other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big ones are cheaper, though twice the price they were three years ago. Maybe my Arizona tea bottle will work! That would have folks wondering, yes??

      Delete
  3. Hi Nancy,was thinking of your computer woes & perhaps since you’re familiar with the IPhone- an IMac Air laptop would suit.Given your general usage the unit with the M2 chip would be quite adequate + they’re on sale at Amazon, est Buy ,etc..I have found their products darned near indestructible + Apple Support are just terrific.Even I can understand them,lol— best of luck.Oh I use a symphony bulb & tube to empty heavy jugs🤠.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That laptop might work ... I use it more for photography than anything. Barbara just sent a message yesterday of one on sale ... and Prime Day is coming up!!

      Delete
  4. It is important to keep solar panels clean, we haven't checked ours since we got home. The roof is not our fun place to be!
    I can't believe Amazon didn't say they'd ship the bottles again, it was not your fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on Amazon. I wondered if they quit carrying them. Oh yes ... I'm not a fan of rooftops either, but boy were my panels dirty! And what a difference when they were clean.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you are getting the DEF under control.
    Stay cool!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried several auto parts stores ... now to hit up Mercedes. Or maybe just use another smaller empty jug.

      Delete
  6. Just ordered a cargo carrier from Amazon. Just over $500 for the swing-away and the cargo carrier and the cargo bag. It will easily carry the GoGo but it will need to taken apart (which is very easy to do). Not sure what else we will carry back there, but I am sure winter clothing, tool bag, stuff like that.

    WOW on how clean your solar came, and WOW at how dirty it was...yep, 3 time cleaning is probably in order. As for the electric connection...our last one had this too, and every once in awhile I had trouble getting it to screw on right. But be diligent, I 'thought' I had it on right in Albuquerque and with a full hookup, AC running, the loose connection fried the connector (not what I was plugging into thank goodness). Lucky for us, Camping World was right next door and I was able to get a connector to splice into the cord I had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes ... don't tell me those things Dave!! LOL. I'll be more persistent with the hookup from now on. The cargo carrier sounds perfect. I've looked at a couple, but it will have to wait.

      Delete
  7. Hey Dave. We stayed at that RV park in 2018. Jonathan needs orange food? Pork n Beans are an orangey color. Can he eat beans? $1.08 a can at Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that park and the old trailers they have parked there. I think Jonathan will protest the "orange" beans!! LOL

      Delete
  8. In summer we need and air con to survive in winter a heater, which may have something to do with why I prefer the in between seasons spring and autumn when it's neither too hot nor too cold.
    It would feel strange having no gear stick, I have no idea how to double clutch but Tim does.
    Isn't annoying how much the cost of stuff has risen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be weird driving ... I have to concentrate on what to do every time I stop! VERY annoying on the prices!

      Delete
  9. All those RV Plugs do the same thing. When it starts cross threading, turn it backwards until you feel it fall into the thread, then it will turn in properly.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that six times Rick ... it just does NOT want to drop in. It's the most important, yet the cheapest thing on the rig. I'll keep trying.

      Delete