Thursday, October 1, 2020

Pumpkins ... Pumpkins Everywhere!

Although the Pumpkin Patch has gotten off to a slow start, last night made up for it.  In the past all the attractions have been open from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm, every single day in October.  This year they included five days in September just for good measure.  With everyone pretty much staying home, they decided to shorten the hours.  

Pumpkin sales go from 10:00 to 2:00, attractions from 3:00 to 7:00.  Everyone has been pretty depressed since not many pumpkins have been sold.  That means we have been working overtime trying to keep busy.  One of the ideas is to set up displays all over the property and price them as seen.  You can get a good idea of how many different varieties they grow right here at the patch.

In front of the over 100 year old milking barn sits two wagons full to the brim with pumpkins.  I would say there are maybe 100 acres of fields growing all these pumpkins, along with corn for the corn maze, all supplied with drip irrigation.  It's a major operation and they are extremely good at it.

Here's a look at my walking mileage so far.  Sunday 7.5, Monday 7.3, Tuesday 5.2 and yesterday 6.  So I've walked a marathon (26 miles) in four days.  The interesting part is I spent most of yesterday on the tractor and STILL walked six miles!!  I actually do a little bit of everything, but tractor driving is my favorite!

I'm sure I could get a job driving for the local Mennonite farms.  Every time I take them around on the hay ride, the men always come tell me what a good driver I am.  I love it of course.  I think I missed my calling.  I should have been driving tractor instead of all that expensive college education stuff!!  It is also interesting to note they do not wear masks.  I like their independence!

The above picture is of what we call sugar pumpkins.  These make the best pumpkin pies ever, much better than the canned stuff.  You know most of the canned pumpkin is really squash, right?  Yes, canned is the only kind I use because of convenience, but if you want a tasty pie, cook up one of these babies and use IT for your pies.

And so, after driving for four hours straight round and round the corn maze and behind the barn where the baby goats live (I would love to have one for a pet at home), I drove off into the sunset, put the tractor to bed and headed home.

Sadly, this morning I was graced with the presence of skunks ... AGAIN!  I just don't know what to do about them other than pour expensive concrete around the entire exterior.  As it is, I have to leash up the dogs every morning just to let them outside.  I would get a trap, but THEN what would I do if I caught one?



14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I want that wagon full of pumpkins!! Sure makes me feel like Fall! Beautiful sunset! I didn't realize there were Mennonite farms in your area, how cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many Mennonite families in this area and they all come out to the pumpkin patch!! It only feels like fall about 6:00 when it cools down! LOL

      Delete
  2. When Arny's neighbor did a new fence he put a 3 foot concrete wall in, 1 foot in ground and 2 feet above ground then built his fence. No skunks in backyard after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup ... that's what I need. I found (and covered up) one more big hole. Don't smell them this morning. Yay!

      Delete
  3. Put a picture of you out here on the tractor in a straw hat:))
    I have a problem with moles tearing up my yard but okay with the skunks. I think Yuma keeps them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuma is such a good boy. My Jessie used to kill gophers. Now ... no gophers.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures....so colorful. I also didn't know there were Mennonite farmers in your area. I think there are some in Wellton. They make good date nut bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the sweetest people and make the best food! I like to hang out with them.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Doug! Would love to see a picture on here of you driving a tractor and wearing a straw hat💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha ... well I don't have a straw hat, but maybe I can get a picture.

      Delete
  6. They have invisible fences for dogs. You can’t see it but they definitely work You can put it all around the area Use it to keep the dogs in a certain area or use it to keep skunks out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting ... I'll have to look that up. I'll do just about anything to keep the skunks out.

      Delete
  7. It’s like the old electric fences we used on the farm. But it’s invisible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wes ... maybe I can find one. I am certainly tired of the skunks! LOL

      Delete