Tuesday, October 6, 2020

We Interrupt The Patch To Ride A Steam Train

I admit, I was tired yesterday.  I spent almost the entire day on the couch, except for that part where I tried to vacuum a little because there were puffs of dirt coming up from whence I walked.  To make matters worse, my ankle decided to protest in spades.  It's much better today thank goodness.

So for a little break in the action, here is one of three main reasons I drove all the way to Colorado and back.  This is the Cumbres & Toltec steam train out of Antonito Colorado.

 I arrived early for some pictures and caught them loading up coal for the trip.


 Isn't she a beauty?  This 484 engine was originally built for this specific railroad and has been running it's rails for I think he said 96 years.  They sure knew how to build them in the old days!!


 On this train you had to wear a mask from your car to the train station where they actually took everyone's temperature.  Once INSIDE the train, you took your mask off.  If you went OUTSIDE to the open air car, you again had to wear your mask.  Somehow I think they got that backwards.  Anyway, we were OFF!!


 One last picture of the station .....


 Here's our motley crew.  Two seconds after the picture, all those masks disappeared.


 As we headed out and around the bend, it didn't look like this was going to be so interesting.  It's mostly flat with lots of scrub brush.


 We were in the very first car, so it was a walk to the outside open car.  There's only so many pictures you can take of the desert surround, so I tried one of my photo class assignments ... the blurry ground.


 After an hour or so, we started up some sloping hills and gullies.


 Entering New Mexico ... which we did about eight times.  As the train wound around the hills finding the 2% slope , we crossed from Colorado to New Mexico and back MANY times ... and each time there was a sign.


 Our trusty speeder followed us the entire way watching for fires.  This track winds around about 39 miles to go something like 26 miles to our stopping point.


It was a gorgeous day as we climbed higher and higher.  


 Several sections of rail required very slow going until we finally stopped for water.  I ran all the way up to the front of our car to get pictures.  All original equipment, there is a huge underground tank that draws water from a spring up the hill.  I think we took on something like 1,500 gallons.


From here on, we finally began the winding path through the mountains to the top of the pass.  There was some spectacular scenery and pictures don't do it justice.  The aspen trees were just changing colors, making for magnificent scenery.

When we arrived at the top, there was a huge building full of food to feed us.  They usually have a buffet, but now everything is completely covered in plastic.  Reach underneath and you are offered a gigantic turkey dinner, complete with mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, roll and of course turkey.  That could be followed up with soup, salad and dessert, ALL of which I didn't photograph because we were starving.

Even more excitement ensued when we went back outside to rain, hail and snow.  OH BOY!!  It was a long wet walk back to our car!

In case you were wondering, they have broken this ride up into two sections.  At the top, we turned around and headed back down the hill.  I'll post those pictures tomorrow.

If you are in Colorado (or anywhere nearby) this is a MUST ride, but I warn you, it took us over seven hours before we returned to the station.  

Although I do have to take the rig over to the Elks Park and dump the tanks, today will be another do-nothing and recoup day.  I must be getting old-er.


 

12 comments:

  1. I definitely agree they do have the Mask wearing backwards.
    Beautiful Scenery.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the Patch

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the mask wearing geezzz...We did that ride but from Chamas NM ..so incredibly beautiful and the lunch was amazing as a buffet. I agree if you get the opportunity it should be done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did that train all the way from Antonito to Chama NM last year the full deal.....no rain or snow.....it was on Oct 1, and our RV park was closing up on Oct 3rd, lots of spaces were winterized.
    Great trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard it was a fabulous trip. I wish I could have made the Chama side. Next time!

      Delete
  4. I read yesterday's post just now (a bit behind) and my oh my, you were a busy gal. But it looked like fun too!
    The train ride would be great! I'd love to do that. Strange rules about the masks for sure. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever get to southern Colorado, it's a must see.

      Delete
  5. Glad you had a beautiful day for that great train ride. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Doug ... there is MORE!!! It gets even better.

      Delete