Monday, October 5, 2020

Aren't Computers Wonderful??

 I'm being sarcastic!  Actually they ARE wonderful ... it's just the NET part of internet doesn't seem to keep up with the times.  You know how when you send one picture and it doesn't go through so you send twenty more?  Then the next day they ALL show up?  Apparently it's hotmail that had the problem.

So here we are back at the Pumpkin Patch.  All these beautiful flowers sold yesterday.  We were so swamped Saturday and Sunday that I'm very grateful I actually have a day off today.  Woohoo!!


 Both days started out at 8:30 when I arrived to clean, clean and clean again.  This is a working almond ranch as well as a patch, so dirt and dust is guaranteed.  It takes over an hour to get set up ready to sell.


 It a good thing all the girls that have been hired this year are go-getters!   You don't often find young people who are not only fast workers, but actually LOOK for something to do.  It's been lovely!!! 

This is the hot dog and nacho tent.  They don't skimp here ... those are Costco hot dogs and buns ... delicious!!  Yesterday alone we sold 250.  $5.00 gets you a drink, chips and the dog.  Everything went according to plan until I discovered (oh how lucky I was) that the girl didn't quite get the cheese nozzle on right and it was spilling down into the gears.  Oh the fun!!


 Water and soda is sold from two huge ice chests, which of course have to be kept full of ice.  That is an every-fifteen-minute task.  We went through 18 cases of water ... those huge HEAVY Costco cases.  Unload, dump in ice chest and make sure they are covered with ice to get cold.  

 I run around like a crazy woman keeping everything in stock.  The bad news is the heat almost got me.  It ran almost 100 degrees ... 125 while standing in front of the ice machine where all the heat blows directly on you while you scoop.  I've never sweated so much in my life!!!


 Occasional I get a break ... not a sit down and rest break ... but a tractor break.  Around the back of the corn maze stand about ten scarecrow.  I tell the kids to wave and count them.  Two are hiding, so they always want to ride again to find them.  Lots of the harvesting equipment is parked around for the public to see also.  Occasionally we even run head on into someone working the almond orchards.

I have two stories today ... first up a lady dressed way too nice for a day at the farm (with matching mask), came up and asked if she REALLY needed to wear her mask.  Well ... that's up to you.  The GOVERNOR says you have to wear it, not us.  The word RINGER immediately rang a bell in my head.  But do I really have to keep it on?  I can't FORCE you to wear a mask.  They say if you are outside and six feet apart (which we were), then it's your choice.  If you are standing in line around here, you should probably wear your mask.  Again, I can't FORCE you.

She walked away with two also-too-nicely-dressed women.  Yup ... she was either from the Health Department or from the State.  Lucky I'm suspicious because I almost told her to take the darn thing off. 
 


 The second one ... two adults ... wanted to know where we grow the pumpkins.  Oh ... they are out in a field.  But where??  Most have been harvested already.  But can we SEE them?  Ding ding ding ... that means they want to come back at night and STEAL a bunch.  Yes, it has happened many times.  

Finally, totally and completely exhausted ... again thank you for the recommendation to drink gatorade because I don't think I would have lasted the day without it ... I got home in time to collapse on the couch at 8:00.  My feet were killing me, in spite of wearing my best cushy running shoes. 

I'm feeling rather old today but I've got a full 24 hours to recoup!!

Mileage total:  52.15  which is scary!!

 

 

 

12 comments:

  1. WOW! Good thing you've got today off, hoping you'll take it easy but I doubt it! It is nice you've got kids that want to work! I'm sure you're right about those ladies, seems there's spies everywhere ! You're right about the others too..geez! Love the scarecrows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't get a day off. I'm pretty happy to get a heal up day!

      Delete
  2. Too bad the heat from the Ice Machine could not be redirected towards the ceiling instead of down at the person working.
    Officials and Thieves come in all different forms. Glad you caught on or it could have been a costly few words.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your day off.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you could fix that heat problem Rick!! As to the ladies, I almost put my foot in my mouth!

      Delete
  3. My, I'm tired just reading this. Glad you have a day off to recover. Better be careful or you may be in the hospital like Trump. Got down to 35 last night. My thoughts are turning to the southwest but not at 100 degrees.:((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could use a little cool right now, but 35? Brrrrr

      Delete
  4. It is a sad state of affairs when the government has to send spies around to see if you are following their so called "orders". Only in CA, the idiot capitol of the world now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely! Why in the world would you have to check on people wearing masks OUTSIDE?

      Delete
  5. About 25 years ago, when my kids were all under 13, we did the hike in Arches up to Delicate Arch on a HOT HOT day. I took a gatorade with me, and left one in the ice chest for when I got back. Along the way I noticed these two ladies, about my age at the time, really struggling. Got back to the car and waited for them to come down, and I gave them my 24oz gatorade...which they tried to refuse, but I insisted. Saw them drink about 6-8 ounces each and immediately saw the relief they had. Amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's those electrolytes ... and they taste good!!!

      Delete
  6. Enjoy your day off, you certainly deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ... I actually enjoyed it this time ... or rather I sat on the couch the entire day!!

      Delete