Wednesday, October 21, 2020

The Invasion Of The Ants

 It was a normal day at the Pumpkin Patch ... full of run fast, sit for two hours, then play crazy catch up.  With only 75 kids coming in, it was an easy morning, at least until we discovered the boss was out of gem mining bags.  

Each kid gets a bag-o-dirt they place in a screen to dunk in the water whereupon they find ...... wait for it ..... not gold, but GEMS!!  WOW!!!  Sometimes there are arrowheads or small rock dinosaurs.  OH MY!!  We are all appropriately amazed at what they find.


 Next up, my two hour stint in the office explaining to everyone at the window that we are only open for pumpkin sales until 2:00.  That's when we close, allowing the "crew" to set up the attractions.  At 3:00 we are open again to the public. Of course they are all coming for the attractions.

During that one hour of rest, I'm stocking the snack bar with water, soda, cookies, chips, ice, cups and everything snow cone.


 In between, I run back to the barn to the Ag-ucation center to be sure the puppets are put to bed.  This entire section of agriculture education (where does your food come from) used to be performed by Farmer Scott with a magic box.  A little abra-ca-dabra by the kids, turned tomatoes into pizza sauce and corn into tortillas.  Can you imagine doing that for 600 kids a day, 5 days a week?  The mechanical puppet show was a good investment.


 At 3:30 I jump on the hay ride tractor and drive for 3-1/2 hours non stop.  Oh I get to jump off ... every single round ... and entertain the crowd as I load them up.  Due to the distancing thing, we have half the hay bales to sit on, so there's lots of finagling to get everyone on.  I ask girlfriends to sit on husbands laps .... oh wait ............  no, that's boyfriends laps!!  There was a sliver of a moon last night that turned into a blob for my camera.  

It's interesting to note that going 5 mph during the day seems fast, but at night it feels slow as mud.  At long last it was time to close up. 


 I'm so tired when I get home, I really pay no mind to anything.  I'm only interested in my ice cream cone dinner and my soft bed.

This morning I had a very rude awakening.  I went to feed the dogs and found this ... a three inch wide trail of ants heading straight for the dog food bag.  Really?  It's not even sweet!!

THEN, with my trusty ant killer spray in hand, I discovered that trail led all around my entire laundry room ... something like 30 feet long ... to the washer water pipes.  I'm exhausted ... I don't need this problem right now.  So I sprayed them to death ... literally.

This after I discovered another much smaller trail in the kitchen last week.  I envision my house completely covered with ants. 


 I'm guessing this isn't going to get cleaned up any time soon as I'm off again for another day of kids, heat, sore feet, broken fingernails and fun with great people.



8 comments:

  1. At least the pumpkin patch is fun, ants not so much! Love the Ag-ucation center! It's so cute I'd pay attention for sure. Enjoy your day, October is certainly rushing by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at it two ways ... I'm glad it's going fast because I'm tired and I wish it wasn't going so fast so I could enjoy the season.

      Delete
  2. Amdro Ant Block Home Perimeter Ant Bait and Ant Killer. BEST stuff to kill ants. Sprinkle around the exterior of the house, put some behind washer/dryer, behind fridge. They take the bait to the nest and it kills them all. It really does work, but you have to give it 24-48 hours. Comes in a container that is a shaker, so no need for a spreader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does not sound like you get much rest during your rest hour! Ants are so frustrating! We have not had that problem yet but we do have an infestation of stink bugs! Luckily it is getting colder and they are slowly disappearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my ... I remember stink bugs. Not sure which I would rather be bothered with!!

      Delete
  4. You are still keeping more then busy so you definitely earn your sitdown periods.
    Ants are such a pain. You might need to add spay in sealer around your pipes to close their doorway. Ants also hate Cucumber Peelings.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the next Ten Days.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool idea ... I will do that Rick. I do it in Arizona so it would work here too!!

      Delete