Thursday, October 8, 2020

Beads and Bugs

I made one last stop in Alamosa Colorado.  This very nondescript building is actually a museum.  I have to say however, that I've become quite the couch potato over the last few months with nothing being open and no place to go.  I probably would have never gone were it not for the Painters who drug me from my lair.


The outside of the building has representations of the entire town and it's history.  Most of these images are hand painted.  You can sure see where they've been at a glance.


 This of course was my favorite .... the green American alligator.  All of these pictures are so life-like.


 Inside is a curator with a passion.  Since this is one of the stops on their school system, they try to have a variety of items, many of which are not of this part of the country.  This amazing bead work headpiece was worn by their horses.  The moccasins of course, by the Indians themselves.  I've tried to do this bead work and I'm here to tell you this is some of the most fabulous I've seen.

These guys are part of the variety.  Oh man ... I never want to run into one of these babies.  That left one is about 15 inches long.  They are HUGE!!!
 


 More fabulous bead work.  Walking around this tiny museum, you can just feel the history.


 This is an original schoolhouse, completely rebuilt inside the museum. 


 They even have a mannequin made of porcelain.  That's a rarity for sure because she's only 4'6" tall.  I almost had a picture of her when I spotted THIS!  A sidesaddle in the best repair I've ever seen.  Notice the buffalo hair decoration on the left side.  If you are wondering, yes they are comfortable to ride but you had better be a GOOD rider.


 There was so much more, but I don't want to show everything.  If you are ever in the area, it is definitely worth the investigation, not to mention the Aspen trees!!

After two exquisite days off (which I really needed, since my couch potato self is not in shape AT ALL) I was back at work yesterday.  For four solid hours I made and hand poured 250 snow cones.  That's more than one per minute.  The hot weather has people coming out in droves and every one wants something icy cold.

I crashed last night the second I hit the couch.  Luckily today I'm scheduled on the tractor.  They have had to hire two more girls to take my place, mostly because they are all too young to know the words "think ahead" and "refill stock".   Since I don't go in until 1:30, my plan is to sneak in another nap before I go.

Total Mileage:   57.65


14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous bead work! Amazing how they do that! What a great museum! Planning ahead definitely comes with age LOL..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think all that bead work was done completely by hand.

      Delete
  2. We have been very lucky with weather so far...then there is this hurricane in our path to Florida, but we will hunker down where it is nice and let it pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it make your trip nicer when you don't have weather worries? Stay safe!

      Delete
  3. Interesting Museum. We've seen some of those Spiders in Florida.
    They have the saying backwards. It should read "It's hard to teach a new dog old tricks".
    Be Safe and Enjoy your down time.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen a sidesaddle saddle, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been on my must have list forever. Very few left in the world and this one was in the most fabulous condition I've ever seen.

      Delete
  5. Now that was a very interesting museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure had a lot of interesting things for such a small museum. Even a seal skin coat from literally the North Pole.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful pieces of American history. I too, have never seen a side saddle. I'm lucky to get 5000 steps a day and that's because Yuma needs several walks a day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll take the beads, not the bugs. Ewww.
    I've never seen a sidesaddle before, interesting for sure!
    Love the old schoolhouse. Really love envisioning those days.

    ReplyDelete