Friday, October 2, 2020

Tractor Driving 101

 If it weren't for troubles, I don't know what I would do.  Probably have a lovely carefree life!  Ha!!!  So yesterday, my computer would not connect to the internet.  No matter what I did, nothing worked.  I wouldn't care except that property tax bill was due ... yesterday.  I think I'm in trouble.

I drove around the neighborhood looking for a signal, thinking (for the tenth time) that it was my internet.  Nope ... works fine just down the road.  Then I accidentally erased my browser.  Good grief Charlie Brown!!  

I took off for work, hoping it would work itself out.  One of the girls said the internet in our entire county has been out for three days.  Yikes!!  How will we ever communicate?  I've become too attached to those wires in the sky.

I set up the snack bar for the new girl since the last girl completely went awol on her closing job.  Absolutely nothing was done.  That put another 5.7 miles on my legs.  Woohoo!  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?  Thank you Liz for the Gatorade reminder.  I think it helped since it was 100 degrees most of the day.

 Tractor driving .... clutch in, turn key to start, check gear, flip up "GO" switch, let off emergency brake and brake-brake and drive off into the sunset, trying not to run over kids running across my path to the corn maze.  The first corner is a rough one.  The Hay Ride trailer is an old cotton trailer, not made for turns.  You almost cannot go wide enough to make the corners. 

The best part is driving by the gorgeous array of chrysanthemums in various stages of growth.  These beauties will all be moved to the front for sale as they bloom.

They sure make for some beautiful fall colors at the patch.  At $12 each, they are cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot.

From there on, it's a driver's nightmare as I try to keep the almond tree branches out of everyone's hair.  I swear, there was one big branch that got lower and lower until it caught in a once beautiful beehive "do".  She will be brushing those leaves out for days!!

The next time I had to alter the route because I almost whacked a guy in the head with another branch on the opposite side.  I tried to get pictures, but it's not good for the customers to see me with my phone out, nor does it instill confidence in them about my driving skills when I'm obviously taking pictures.  This was a sneaky one.


I get so involved with setting up the three food tents, that I forget pictures.  Today I'm going in a little early just for photos.  Then, since it's Friday, we sell hotdogs and nachos, so set-up will be extensive.  Yes, I have three more inexperienced teenagers to train.  The farm only hires high school kids who get work credit for being here, not to mention probably their first paycheck.  Won't that be fun!!  I'm just hoping someone goes for supplies.  It's hard to make snow cones with no cups.


 

9 comments:

  1. The flowers are gorgeous, those colors just make you feel like Fall! Even if the temperatures don't! Hopefully you'll have some good trainees, especially since they are getting a paycheck and credit! Good sounding food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It finally feels like fall at about 6:30-7:00 when it cools down a tad.

      Delete
  2. I think you should run the tractor in the yellow and red It would be like a Disney eTicket
    How will we ever communicate?
    Well you could always send up smoke signals so to get clear across the US you’ll need about 3200 Indians sorry I have to be politically correct Native Americans but then again that’ll only get you the main stream . But to get to the suburbs you may need a few thousand more NA Or you could try pony express but I don’t think you’d get unlimited coverage for 59.99 a month especially with the cost of hay today and then seeing how you still have L stinko‘s they’re not gonna deliver to your neighborhood so you basically have to go airmail. now that might be a good thing with all airlines shutting down that means there’s a lot of pilots left over Looking for a Great social distancing low-pay job
    You don’t have a browser
    brows·er
    /ˈbrouzər/

    1. 1. 
a person who looks casually through books or magazines or at things for sale.Well now that you don’t have a browser think of all the money you could save

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad that in all of this county, the only place it doesn't work is our little circle of houses. LOL

      Delete
  3. https://www.nixalite.com/products/skunk-control
    Have a look various products
    I’m not affiliated in any way Just trying to help
    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of colourful plants. Makes a great contrast.
    Be Safe at the Patch and Enjoy getting your WiFi going again.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the fall colors make me "think" it's cooler!

      Delete